Help

MJHY27

I'm driving myself crazy today! I am feeling guilty and bad about having to turn my 3yo ffing b/c she outgrew her TF by the rfing wieght limit. I reallllly would love to get her a radian but can't afford one of those. I wouldnt mind a myride but am afraid she would be to tall. She is about 38" tall and her torso is almost 14". She only just barely wieghs 35lbs with all her clothes on. Am I just being crazy!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't know. I guess it depends on what "can't afford" means.

If buying a Radian means that you will have no groceries and the heat will be disconnected, well, mama, I'm so sorry but sometimes not all choices are available to all families and we do what we have to do to get by.

If buying a Radian means a few rice-and-beans meals this month and fewer gadgets under the tree this year, then yeah, I'd urge you to reexamine the budget and priorities.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm perfectly happy seeing kids RF to four years, or five, or as long as they can.

I'm also perfectly comfortable FFing a 35-lb 3-year-old. If it were my kid, I likely wouldn't buy another seat and would pat myself on the back for RFing for so long as it is.

skipspin

Okay, don't feel bad. A few years ago no seat went beyond 35#s RFing, and most only went to 30/33#. My daughter had to turn at 33# and 2.5 and while I was a bit sad because she liked RFing- especially in our Jeep- I was by no means devistated.

My DS has been FFing in our second vehicle since he was 2 because of logistical reasons and the fact that I wanted to use my favorite RYS. No guilt.

Now, I highly encourage ERFing. I think RFing past two is great. My 2.75 yr old DS is still under 30#s and Rfing in our primary vehicle and will until he's at least 3- after that it just depends. Everyone has their own personal goals and yours far exceed the minimums. Don't beat yourself up. If you want to buy a seat for 5 extra lbs go ahead, but not everyone can or will make that a priority for a 3 yr old. Honestly, I wouldn't. For a not-yet 2 yr old- then I would for sure.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You did a great job keeping her rear facing to the limits of her seat. If you cannot afford a Radian then I wouldn't stress about it. If you feel awful and somehow you can make a Radian happen, then great. But otherwise just turn her seat forward, pat yourself on your back that you made it past three and to 35 pounds, and close that chapter.

Wendy

MJHY27

Thanks! I'm feeling better now, just a brief moment of regret that I couldnt get her a bigger seat. But I am happy with the seat we got, just wish the 45lb seats had come out a few months earlier! I honestly thought she wouldnt be 35lbs until about 3 1/2 at least, I guess i forgot to factor in winter and heavier clothes :/

armywife12

I would be totally fine forward facing a 3 yr old at that size. I would be thrilled if my son made it to 3 yrs old rear facing! He sounds to be the same size as your 3 yr old and he is currently rear facing in the MyRide. He is 27 months old, about 38-39 inches tall, 35-36lbs with a torso around 14 inches or so. He still has at least 2 inches of growing room left above the top of his head so I'm thinking he'll make it close to 3 yrs old rear facing in it.

You did a great job keeping her rear facing to the limits of her seat. If you cannot afford a Radian then I wouldn't stress about it. If you feel awful and somehow you can make a Radian happen, then great. But otherwise just turn her seat forward, pat yourself on your back that you made it past three and to 35 pounds, and close that chapter.

Wendy

:yeahthat: Your DD is over 3YO, you have a great seat for her. Get it snugly installed and top-tethered and give yourself a pat on the back. Not too long ago, seats only rear faced to 30 lbs.

Mommy2Marcus

I agree that she is fine FF at 3 years old. Marcus rides FF in most every other car he rides in. However he rides RF in my car b/c I HATE the top tethers in it. They are SO close to the seat. I would be fine FF him if I had to though.

However with her being 38" with a 14" torso, she is about the same size as my DS is. He fits great in the MR with room to grow. He is 38 1/2 inches tall with a torso a hair under 14". So....she might fit if you wanted to look into a MR for her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC