talk to me about carriers... again

ADS

Cryssy Jane

I found a 4th gen beco near me for $50 in excellent shape, but I can't seem to find what the difference between the 4th gen and the BB2 is.

Chex

The BB2 has an insert that you have to put the kid in before you put it on. I got one thinking I'd love it for my little baby, but it was just a pain. I am so in love with my 4th Gen Becos! I have 2 and I'm constantly trying to find a reason to get another one. :eek: The 4th Gen is more like the Ergo except much less bulky, IMO. (I had an Ergo and sold it.)

You can usually find 4th Gen Becos on thebabywearer.com for a pretty good price. Another carrier that's similar to it is the Angelpack LX (APLX). I haven't ever tried one IRL, but from what I hear, they're similar in size and structure.

From what you've said, I think that a Beco/APLX is most definitely the way to go!

Cryssy Jane

Great! Thanks for the information. I emailed this lady who has a 4th gen for $50, it's not the cutest looking but it sounds like what I'm looking for.

zactayaus

The BB2 has an insert that you have to put the kid in before you put it on. I got one thinking I'd love it for my little baby, but it was just a pain. I am so in love with my 4th Gen Becos! I have 2 and I'm constantly trying to find a reason to get another one. :eek: The 4th Gen is more like the Ergo except much less bulky, IMO. (I had an Ergo and sold it.)

See I like my BB2 because of the insert. For me that's what makes it so easy to use. I put the carrier on first and then just slip him in and clip the the shoulder buckles and done.:shrug-shoulders:

Cryssy Jane

Aye this is so confusing. I wish there was some place super close that I could just go check one or both out. Grr off to do some more research and see if i can find one near me to check out.

For the record, it says the infant insert should only be used to 15 lbs. S is now 14.5 lbs would the half a pound make that much of a difference?

zactayaus

Aye this is so confusing. I wish there was some place super close that I could just go check one or both out. Grr off to do some more research and see if i can find one near me to check out.

For the record, it says the infant insert should only be used to 15 lbs. S is now 14.5 lbs would the half a pound make that much of a difference?

I never used the infant insert cause ds was over 15lbs when we got it, but I would think that you'd be fine without it. The insert basically lifts the baby up higher in the carrier and allows for a smaller stradle.

Chex

See I like my BB2 because of the insert. For me that's what makes it so easy to use. I put the carrier on first and then just slip him in and clip the the shoulder buckles and done.:shrug-shoulders:

It's so funny how everybody's so different. I've heard of tons of people who love their BB2, but for me it was just one more step I didn't want to be bothered with. I also like to get my babies on my back as soon as I can, so I didn't use the BB2 or the 4G on my front very much.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I loved the simplicity of the 4th gen. I didn't want to fiddle with the insert thingy. DS just had his legs frogged when he was a newborn; at about 3 months or so he was able to straddle his legs.

crunchierthanthou

You can usually find 4th Gen Becos on thebabywearer.com for a pretty good price. Another carrier that's similar to it is the Angelpack LX (APLX). I haven't ever tried one IRL, but from what I hear, they're similar in size and structure.

From what you've said, I think that a Beco/APLX is most definitely the way to go!

mamabargains has had the APLX a couple times in the last week.

InternationalMama

Another vote for the Beco!

I wouldn't imagine you'll need the infant insert for a 6 month old. It's mostly used so little babes can froggy their legs. After 4 months or so that's not really an issue.

I also am not sure why you'd need to put the babe in the infant insert before you put the carrier on?

One thing I love about the beco is how you can keep the kid in the carrier while moving the carrier from one person to another or from your back to your front and vice versa. This is great if you are traveling and carrying for a long time.

For the person who didn't want to use the moby in muddy parking lots: I used to put my wrap on before I left the house and then just slot the baby in later. This is harder to do with some ways of tying it than others, but if you practice or get an experienced person to teach you it's very doable. I used to use a simple X-carry and I could actually wear the wrap all day long and just lift DS in and out of it when needed if we were traveling.

HTH.

crunchierthanthou

One thing I love about the beco is how you can keep the kid in the carrier while moving the carrier from one person to another or from your back to your front and vice versa. This is great if you are traveling and carrying for a long time.

That only applies to the Butterfly versions. The 4th Gen is like a Mei Tai and doesn't have the panel in front of the baby.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
babyhawk looks really bulky to me. I haven't been too impressed with mei tai carriers, I have a terrible time getting them tight.

Really? I find that there's not much to it, it seemed a lot less bulky to me than the SSCs I've tried on. I do need to go try some again though, S is getting terribly heavy in the BH.

I think the tightening is a learned skill... you have to learn how to bounce and tighten without it seeming awkward. The first few times I did it I jostled us all over, and sometimes missed the right 'moment' to pull... but after a few times it was totally natural to me.

Anyways, sounds like you're looking for an SSC so it's a moot point, but wanted to put my :twocents: in for someone watching the thread.

Also... not sure how far you are from Seattle, but for me it was worth the drive (45 mins) and carting the kids to be able to try before I bought. In fact, I went in looking at SSCs last time and came out with the BH, so being able to try them on was a definite advantage for me.

Definitely look on thebabywearer and buy used if you can... the carriers are generally in excellent condition and much more affordable, especially if you're buying just to try and see if you like it.

ETA: Not Chex, but that looks to me like a BabyHawk... Toddler size maybe?

Chex

Chex, what carrier is your DH wearing in your siggy pic? I like how high up DD's back it goes.

ETA: Not Chex, but that looks to me like a BabyHawk... Toddler size maybe?

Yep, it's a Toddlerhawk. DH is broad-chested and has a super-long torso. It's the only carrier I've found that fits him well. (I ordered the extra-long straps for him too, so that he can lexi-twist it and tie it in front again.) And my kiddos are so tall, I love how long the body of the carrier is. In that pic, DD2 was about 3yo and somewhere around 39-40 inches tall.

cpsaddict

A little late, but I love, love, love my Pikkolo by Catbirdbaby. It is not quite as structured as the Beco or Ergo and slides right into my diaper bag. I just put DD on my back for the first time the other day and I was really impressed.

romanoma

A little late, but I love, love, love my Pikkolo by Catbirdbaby. It is not quite as structured as the Beco or Ergo and slides right into my diaper bag. I just put DD on my back for the first time the other day and I was really impressed.

Pics? Any of it in use? Please? :D

Cryssy Jane

I think I'm going to have to drive out once I get some extra fundage. I did find a beco 4th gen that I was able to talk down in price. So I'll be meeting with that woman later this week to check it out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC