DD hates the Oobr. About ready to pull my hair out!

bethng

So my 8.5 yo DD hates the Oobr I got her. She says its uncomfortable. Doesn't elaborate more then that. Wants to sit in her Olli full time. She is really fighting me on this and frankly I am sick of the battle every time we get in the car. I have a 06 sedona. She sits outboard passenger side in the second row captains chair. She is over 50lbs now. Sits well in the olli. Seatbelt fits her well in the Olli. Do I just let her sit in the backless or is the full back going to offer a lot more protection? My gut is telling me that the Olli is not safe enough for her just yet. It's really bothering me. She has sensory issues mostly related to clothing and having her hair put up in a pony tail....maybe it really is uncomfortable for her. Or maybe I just have a stubborn, hard headed child! :confused:

ADS

christineka

I don't know, but I had an experience with my 8 yo dd today. She loves her vivo. She cries at the thought of changing boosters. Today I told her she could ride in dh's car. She went right over and hopped into the backless booster rather than the vivo which is also in his car. She often tells me how less safe backless boosters are, yet every time I look at them at the store she eagerly asks if I'll buy one for her. She also tells me all about how the seatbelt doesn't fit her right, yet she often wants to sit in the seat without a booster just to "check". I suspect that it is either eagerness to grow up since grownups don't sit in boosters or she notices that none of her friends ride in car seats.

canadiangie

At 8.5 y/o and over 50lbs I'd feel comfy with her being in a backless, I guess. I would take the back off her Oobr and see if things improve.

bethng

At 8.5 y/o and over 50lbs I'd feel comfy with her being in a backless, I guess. I would take the back off her Oobr and see if things improve.

We already have the Olli so I will either keep the Oobr or sell it. Cost too much to just use it for the backless. Not sure yet. We will see if she calms down over the whole thing over time.

canadiangie

We already have the Olli so I will either keep the Oobr or sell it. Cost too much to just use it for the backless. Not sure yet. We will see if she calms down over the whole thing over time.

Yeah, I'd take the back off the Oobr to see if suddenly its more comfy for her, kwim? ;)

babyherder

Is there any way your dd can elaborate about what is uncomfortable? I know its sometimes hard to figure out for yourself let alone verbalize to someone else but I would ask her to try. Maybe there is a solution you can both be comfortable with. You can't fix something if you don't know the problem.

emandbri

Given her age and the fact that you have side curtain air bags I would return it. It is a shame she doesn't like it.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
If her seated height is less than 31″ tall when she's sitting on the Oobr then I would attempt to troubleshoot the issue(s) before considering a switch to a LBB. 31" is the seated height of the 5th percentile female dummy which the IIHS uses to assess SIP protection from curtain ABs. Since there is no standard for curtain AB length, you cannot assume that they will deploy down far enough to protect a shorter child in a side impact crash. Maybe they will but usually that specific data is not available to consumers. The only thing we know for certain is that since the IIHS started with their SI testing program in 2003 - vehicle models made with curtain ABs should, at the very least, protect the head of someone who is at least as tall (seated) as the 5th% female dummy.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I read the take back off comment as see if that's why it's uncomfortable to her. Not that she has problems w/ the seat but that she has problems w/ being in a hbb. Maybe she just prefers the nbb and knows if she tells you it's uncomfortable vs she just doesn't want to, it'll be easier to get her way, lol. Is there another option for a hbb she'd be more comfortable w/?

bethng

I read the take back off comment as see if that's why it's uncomfortable to her. Not that she has problems w/ the seat but that she has problems w/ being in a hbb. Maybe she just prefers the nbb and knows if she tells you it's uncomfortable vs she just doesn't want to, it'll be easier to get her way, lol. Is there another option for a hbb she'd be more comfortable w/?

we tried the SK booster and it did not fit her right no matter how much I adjusted the seat and the seatbelt. Plus she said it hurt her back. We have a compass booster that she has not complained about but I just dont like that seat and its the booster she rides in when she is with her sitter so its in the sitters car all the time. I really wanted one for my van that has LATCH. Thats important to me.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Have you tried a light footstool? Once kids get big like that, they get sore backs and legs galore unless they have something to rest their feet on. :twocents: If you already have? ugh, what a bummer :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC