OMG, who would really buy this?!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
http://www.pinktaffydesigns.com/sho....html?osCsid=4b5e7e11cbd12cb87a15c110d92114dd

Someone on my birth board posted a pic of their kid in their carseat in a cover from here (she has a Peg seat, but got this cover for free) and I'm amazed at the prices. Do people really buy these? These are more than the Peg seats are and those are pricey! Of course people were telling her they wanted one so I had to give my speil. :) I was going to let it slide till I saw that people wanted to get one too.

ETA: I don't even think they're that cute.

ADS

Simplysomething

I'm thinking it's more of the status of paying more money for something than the actual cuteness factor. lol

I'm pretty sure of it :
Many hollywood celebrities from the Sports and Entertainment industries have purchased Nollie Covers for their little Hollywood babies.

I must get it! Some random famous person had one! lol

Starlight

Senior Community Member
If I didn't know better, I'd probably buy the mimi mouse one. It's super cute, and we really like Mickey.

But I know better. Oh, and I only have boys. I need a daughter.

:D

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Looking on the bright side, the covers are meant for Britax seats, for the most part, which means that atleast the kids are in good seats, not crappy OHS.

So, which is better, a Britax w/ an aftermarket cover, or an OHS? Almost OT: Supposedly, Britney bought her new kid a Britax. The 1st one gets a crappy Cosco, the 2nd, a Britax. Nice.

kelly

Looking on the bright side, the covers are meant for Britax seats, for the most part, which means that atleast the kids are in good seats, not crappy OHS.

So, which is better, a Britax w/ an aftermarket cover, or an OHS? Almost OT: Supposedly, Britney bought her new kid a Britax. The 1st one gets a crappy Cosco, the 2nd, a Britax. Nice.

When she had #1 FF too soon in her top-down-convertible it was a Britax, wasn't it?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Yes, I just saw that picture. I was thinking of the pictures of the 1st event (when he was a lap baby) and she went to the TRU or whatever and came out w/ a Cosco box.

It does look like a Britax in the Mini. In an article about it, a CHP said that she's done more for child passenger safety awareness than any ad campaign, LOL. I just wonder if it ever got through to her.

menfusse

K, those prices are insane! But the whole homemade cover thing not being safe brings me to a question. I have a friend who used to cover the existing covers for people. This was 10 years ago. What I mean is that she took fabric. Just the thin woven walmart stuff in a cute print and sewed it to the existing cover that came with the seat to make it cute. Would that still be unsafe?

JaRylan

So if I get one of those covers, will I be famous too? Don't worry I won't forget about all of you back here on the board. Okay, gotta think positive, if she sews and designs the car seat covers for Britax seats and celebrities are willing to pay mega money for them then it also means they will be buying a Britax to put the after-market product on.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I love the *idea* of the giraffe print, but I wouldn't buy those covers for three reasons:

1) I don't like the blue or pink borders on the giraffe print.

2) I think the price is insane.

3) They are aftermarket covers.

:) :) :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sean Preston was spotted in a Combi Connection once, too... I think we need to get Britney here, she clearly has a seat addiction... :D

And ick, those covers are insane... :p

Morganthe

Yikes! Thanks to the link, I just recognized one of the Carseat covers I saw in an infant carrier a couple of weeks ago in a posh area north of Dallas. I guess you could consider it cute, but to me, IT"S A CARSEAT, not a fashion accessory!

There were even matching harness covers :rolleyes:

In the quick glimpse I had, I couldn't tell if the covers were lightweight fabric to just wrap manufacturer's harness pads. Or if they were entire pads made to match. (I hope that makes sense.)

$225 was probably almost double than they spent on the carseat itself :rolleyes:

kelly

Hmm, would an aftermarket cover be considered improper use? If so, that versus a properly used OHS, I'd pick the OHS.

Aftermarket covers are "bad", but in my mind OHS's are worse.

I know its possible that they could interfere, but its probably way more likely that they won't. An OHS has clear dangers that have been seen in the real world (face-smacking, internal injury), etc.

If for some bizarre reason I had to choose a Britax with a non-Britax cover or a OHS, I'd pick the Britax and order a real cover. ;)

MomTo1

:eek: I was reading the description on one of the seats, sounds so safe!:rolleyes:
This is a beautiful custom made Nollie Replacement Cover is made with only the finest fabrics. The cover is extra soft and cozy, and each one always has a special, extra-thick padding, it?s like sitting on a fluffy cloud.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Iain (Still fighting with the wife about the spelling. She wants Ian.) - ~July 5, 2007

Maybe this will help :)
http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/iain.shtml

FWIW- MY Ian is the epitome of the young Irish lad.
He has red hair ,his full name is
Ian Flynn O'xxxxx
(Flynn means son of red haired man) hehehe
AND his birthday is July 4th, 2002
How's that for a little firecracker :)

beeman

O.k., I'm gonna sound dumb here, but whats wrong with an aftermarket cover? (besides being ugly and way overpriced). As long as the original cover is still underneath and it's only a single layer fabric, what would be the problem?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Not a dumb question Beeman, no such thing when it comes to carseats. :) Or you could say the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked for fear of sounding dumb, lol.

The aftermarket covers are usually intended to replace the seat's original OEM cover, not go over it, although I can see the potential for a consumer to think it's okay to use an aftermarket cover over the original one. In either case, an aftermarket cover is a misuse scenario and not recommended because it basically void the seat's warranty and wouldn't have been tested with the seat by the seat manufacturer. Aftermarket covers don't meet flammability standards, and can interfere with properly positioning and tightening the harness straps if they don't line up properly with the slots in the seat. Aftermarket covers that are thicker than the OEM cover or don't line up properly with all of the harness slots would potentially introduce more slack in the harness, and more slack = greater risk of injury or ejection in a crash. :( For all of these reasons, the only recommended cover is the original one or a replacement one from the seat manufacturer specifically intended to be used with the particular carseat model.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC