Can someone explain to me about projectiles, esp rear mirrors

U

Unregistered

I have heard they can be a projectile in an accident but isn't that true for anything in the car like your purse or diaper bag too? Does that mean that we shouldn't have anything in the car? Should everything be in the trunk. I'm being completely sincere. I can live without it if I need to but just want to be clear about what else is a projectile and what other precautions to take. Thanks.

ADS

southpawboston

someone here described a rule by which you hit yourself hard on the head with whatever object is in question, and if it makes you say "ouch!" then it can be a dangerous projectile in a high speed crash. e.g., a soft plush toy is probably okay, while a CD jewel case could be a dangerous projectile. as for mirrors, if it has any hard edges or real glass, it can be dangerous. but if it is one of those soft polished mylar ones with squisshy padding and straps to secure on the back seat headrest, it's probably okay (i have one of those and have no problem using it). in general, the less clutter you have, even soft clutter, the better.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Everything should be in the trunk or under the vehicle seat, yes....

Carseat mirrors are not recommended unless they help the child stay RF without being an added distraction to the driver -- or if the child has a medical condition which the parent must supervise (seizures or severe car sickness, etc.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have heard they can be a projectile in an accident but isn't that true for anything in the car like your purse or diaper bag too? Does that mean that we shouldn't have anything in the car? Should everything be in the trunk. I'm being completely sincere. I can live without it if I need to but just want to be clear about what else is a projectile and what other precautions to take. Thanks.
There's a Mythbusters episode where they try to 'kill' buster the dummy with a flying tissue box...and a lot of other things... and they can't do it. It's not a huge health issue to have some stuff in your car (the people I've heard of who HAVE died? Flying axes and toolboxes in the rear window package shelf, and one poor lady from a soup can). But DO be aware, as southpawboston recommends... don't have junk all over the car, tie down heavy stuff, and if it hurts when you throw it at yourself, think twice about putting it near your baby. If a mirror is firmly attached and soft, and helps a parent keep a rearfacing child rearfacing longer, then I'd rather see a mirror than a forward facing baby, that's for sure.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC