Cosco Scenera for just turned 3 year olds?

Melaine

Thanks for any advice on this! I saw that Overstock has a good deal on CS, thinking about buying 2 for DH's car. My twin girls are in Marathons FF in my car. They are 37.5"-38" tall and 32 lbs. I know that trying them out would be the best option, but I hate to miss the deal before I get a chance to try the seat at B&M store.
So does anyone have any guesstimates on how long these might work for us? I'd love any feedback on what height/weight DC tend to outgrow these? If we could get a year out of them I'd say it was probably worth it, just for the convenience of having 2nd seats and being able to use either car....thanks for any input! We've never had second seats and it sure would be nice!

ADS

Maedze

If your children are forward facing, it seems sort of silly to buy them convertibles. :twocents:

Unless of course you're willing to use them rear facing, which is how I'd use them :p

As a seat, there's nothing wrong with them. They're low-end....thin padding, no EPS foam. But they're still perfectly safe.

Last edited:

Mommy2Marcus

I am really not sure how long they would have in the Scenera anyhow. The top harness slots are not very high & at 37 & 38 inches tall I think they might would be close to outgrowing the Scenera's by height. However the best way to tell would be to measure their torso height's to find out. How to do that would be to sit them against the wall & measure them from their behinds to the tops of their shoulders.

drlynne

My little girl is about the same size as yours. She fits in the scenera but just barely. The seats wouldn't last very long if you were to get them.

stephie1012

im not sure about their torso height but my dd is 4 and 2months. She is almost 42" and she still fits fine in the scenera. Shes over the weight limit tho so obviously she doesnt use it. But when she sits in it she still has alot of room. i was shocked! I think she has a short torso tho bc she is only on the 2nd slots of the regent. Im not sure if you would get years out of them tho

Melaine

If your children are forward facing, it seems sort of silly to buy them convertibles. :twocents:

What would you recommend then at a similar pricepoint? We won't be RFing, they can't RF in our car with DH's height in the front seat. (the Marathons won't fit that way at least).

autumnlily

For forward facing - I really like the Graco Nautilus and Radian series. Nautilus, because it is a high weight harness seat (like your Marathon, but will accommodate taller children too!) and then turns into a booster. My oldest DD loves the cup holder and cubbies. I like the Radian because it doesn't sit on a base and makes it super easy for my oldest DD to climb in unassisted. I believe the new Evenflo Maestro has a taller shell and harness height for forward facing and retails under $80.

For rear facing - I've heard the Graco Myride, although it seems so big... can sit very upright in small cars and take up less room rear facing then the Marathon. I'm on my way to buy one today and can shed more light after I play with it.

Car seats can be up to 30 degrees (instead of the newborn 45) for older kids and this really helps the seats fit better in the rearfacing direction and allowing driver/passenger front room space.

I'd spend the money on a seat that will last your girls longer vs the scenera... unless you have a chance to run to a Target, Toys R Us/Babies R US, Walmart or maybe Sears to try it out. The $28 is a great deal :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You're not going to find anything w/ a similar pricepoint. AJ was too tall for the Scenera right at 3 and about 37". He would've been on the top slots of the Marathon by then as well.

Sears will have the Evenflo Maestros soon I think. I know for me it quoted 2-3 wks. Maybe look at those?

Melaine

I'd spend the money on a seat that will last your girls longer vs the scenera... unless you have a chance to run to a Target, Toys R Us/Babies R US, Walmart or maybe Sears to try it out. The $28 is a great deal :)

Thanks a bunch for the advice (everyone!). I guess what it comes down to is it's either the Sceneras, or nothing (due to cost). It would really be convenience factor and DH is not on board with buying second seats. I'm SAH so we have no actual need for multiple seats (according to DH).
I also suspect that DH would prefer to keep his "work" car free of pink flowered carseats and we just always drive the van around! However, it would be nice to have the option of using the other car or to not be in a pinch when one car happens to be in the shop, ykwim?
But I will definitely not buy the Sceneras without getting a look at one in a store first. THANK YOU!

babygirlsmom1005

Here is my DD at 3 1/2, 33 lbs 39 1/2 inches tall RF'ing in our CS (it was purchased for a baby that rides with me a lot and I got tired of doing the car seat shuffle with her seat)

CSInstall1.jpg

She outgrew the seat this fall RF'ing due to weight and now is FF'ing in it as a 2nd seat (well, truthfully a 3rd seat now), is on the top slots and has some room left in it....(she's now 35 lbs, 40 1/2 inches tall). Sorry no pics of FF'ing right now.

autumnlily

Marathons are super easy to install - so you have that going for you! :D And, really, they can only utilize 1 at a time :)

Kat_Momof3

well, I wouldn't say "or nothing"... you'd just need to wait a little bit.... we don't know for sure how tall the top slots will be on the Maestro (but knowing the history of the Evenflo seats, we expect them to be a good height)... and while you wait, save a little extra to spend... 75 dollars is an amazing price for a seat that goes to 50lbs harnessed and then becomes a booster (though we're not sure how good of one yet)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'd *use* them for kids that age/size, but I wouldn't *buy* them for kids that age/size unless there was absolutely no other choice (you have no usable seats, you can't switch out seats, and there is no way you can spend more than $60 total). It's a penny-wise and pound-foolish choice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC