Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I the only one using an ETA

It just seems I don't see anyone on here using them anymore! When we first got Riley's about a year and a half ago everyone loved them. Has something changed? Are they not considered as good as they once were?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Am I the only one using an ETA

We're a board full of carseat addicts. Part of the addiction often involves buying new seats more often than is absolutely necessary.

I still think the EFTA is a great 35 pound seat. I have no problem recommending it.

However, there are new seats out with taller shells and higher rear facing weight limits, so the EFTA isn't getting as much love as it used to.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

That makes me feel better. I was going to get something different for our youngest ds since many new seats have come out but we really liked the ETA for our oldest so we went with it again. The baby is a light weight so he should be in it for a while. I just noticed that the two year old is now 31 lbs and the ETA only goes to 35 rf. Now I'm thinking that maybe we should have gotten him a new seat that rf's longer and given his seat to the baby. Oh well

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

At his age, those 4 lbs could take a year or more to gain .
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Senior Community Member

I have two in regular use. One for my mom's car and one that I use as a spare for two different kiddos.

I have yet to find a seat that is this easy to change harness heights between kiddos and also is easy enough to teach a non-carseat addict to install easily. My mom and sister think the EFTA is awsome and would probably hurt me if I tried to take it away.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

I still have one in use as well. It is in my DH's car. I miss it actually b/c I absolutly that seat. It is my all time favorite seat ever!!!!!
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

We are still using ours. I kind of hate it, but that's just because I want an excuse for a new seat. It fits DD well (just turned FFing), is comfortable and easy to use. She did once cut her finger on a sharp edge inside the hole where the crotch buckle attaches, which has made me leery of the seat (and the is reason why I hate it).

If I do cave and buy a new seat, we'll use it as our backup seat, as she is very, very close to outgrowing the Roundabout (by height) we currently have as a backup seat.
    michelle mama to
    dd 10.30.06 graco connext & recaro performance booster
    ds 5.4.10 sunshine kids radian xtsl & graco nautilus safety surround
    riding safely in a 2014 mazda 5 and a 2002 subaru forester

CPS Technician

Still love it and use it!!! My 4 yr old rides in it forward facing now, but we'll soon be passing it down (just b/c the baby is outgrowing his seats!)

henrietta

No, you are not. I (actually DH) still use EFTA for our 6-year-old son. DS uses an FPSVD in mine, when he outgrows that DH will move the EFTA to my car (because DS is in my car more often than in DH's) and I'll buy a booster seat for DH's car.

I had the old Evenflo Triumph, and loved it Forward Facing, but we could not get it to work in my Toyota Camry rear facing (I had to put that in MIL's Honda Accord).

Definitely a great car seat to use with multiple children because of the easy adjustment on the harness height.
    Stefani

I also really like it I recommend it often and my daycare kiddo's parents bought him 2 of them (one for each car) and he fits so perfectly in it. I love how upright you can install it and how great it is for small spaces.

I still really really like it... it's one of those "if I had another, I'd consider it" seats.

it's still one of the most affordable large convertible seats and I prefer it for the long term (forward facing, not just rearfacing) over the Myride, because the ETA sits more upright.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

We're past the convertible stage, but I would have no problem recommending or using the EFTA for an appropriately-sized child (under 35# or over 35# AND over 3.5y).
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

It's still a great seat, and one frequently recommended because it frequently dips down to $120 or so in price, which is a steal for a seat with such a tall shell, tall slots, and 50 lb ffing limit. It's THE cheapest seat that has a good shot of RFing a kid to the full 35 lbs, and then FFing to the full 50 pounds, which means it is the cheapest convertible you can buy to realistically get many kids to booster age in it without sacrificing any aspect of safety. for parents that I know aren't going to foloow anything close to best practice anyway, it's probably my number one recommended seat, since 40 lb rfing limits are uselessto those parents, and the 50-lb ffing limit with high slots means they *might* actually keep the kid harnessed longer, when in a 40 lb seat, the kid would just go straight into a booster at 40 lbs, period, regardless of age/maturity, etc. The price point is also low enough, it doesn't scare away parents who see a carseat as an "obligation" and not something awesome, lol!!
    Amongst people i know care a bit more, i will admit i often un-recommend it (yep, i make up words in my spare time.), because of the stupid tabs. Normally at birth-9 months when a parent is looking at buying a convertible, the baby isn't old enough to have specific preferences about the tabs, but if that kid ends up being the 3 or 4 year old that CAN. NOT. STAND them, like my dd, then the seat becomes worthless to them. It's the main downfall of the seat, and I've heard maybe that they are/have redesigned the tabs? It's a gamble, and many parents who don't constantly buy seats as an addiction, are going ot be pretty ticked if their "use it until booster age" seat becomes a huge hassle/worthless to them.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

My four-year old loves his "Chocolate (EFTA) carseat" and so do I. My six year old is just now 49.5 pounds and still fit (barely) height-wise last time he sat in it. Unfortunately, it may be moving to my parents car after Christmas when the baby gets his new Radian 65 - depends on which seat the 4-year old picks for my car (EFTA or older RN65). Of course, I also loved the old-style Triumphs (until recently).
    Stephanie

Mom to: C (8/03) - Adult Seatbelt , I (9/05) - Monterey, L (11/08) - FF Radian 65SL, and A (10/11) - RF Radian 80.

If only mine had the old buckle, I would be using it.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    If only mine had the old buckle, I would be using it.
    What's the difference?

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Dd is in one right now. She has about 1/4 to 1/2" growing room left in it and has about 1" of growing room left in the Radian. She's 44lbs right now.

If the Canadian rf'ing limit was 35lbs instead of 30lbs ds would still be in it. I really do that seat. It fits the entire size range of kids that it is rated for perfectly, and the harness is so easy to adjust. Add to that how easy it is to install in most vehicles, and it's really a great seat.

Ds will likely use it again once he's ff'ing. If ds was just a little shorter, I'd buy another one in a heart beat if it showed up in Canada with a 35lb rf'ing limit.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

We have one. It is installed in DH car and is used by 3 year old DD and 5 year old DS.
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

I was using mine daily for ds2 until last month. It is a great seat! But, he peed in it and I still haven't gotten the clean cover back on. Plus, my red tab broke away from the harness and I need to call evenflo to find out if it is a problem or not.

CCO 4/15

Carseat Crazy

I have one too, but don't really like it. Mostly personal preference, but I've never gotten the hang of the knobs. But my SIL and BIL love it, and I'm glad there's a decently priced seat that they find easy to use