Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Just need to vent about my MIL

I hope it's ok to do it here....

We let my MIL take all 3 of our boys for the first time overnight last night so we could do Black Friday shopping. I installed all 3 car seats myself so I knew they were done right. Well they got back a little while ago and my 4yr old who rides harnessed in a Nautilus came back in his seat, they had unbuckled it (i used the seatbelt to install it) and buckled the seat belt around him!!! Like it was a booster and I know it can be used as one but he's too small for one and 2 it wasn't done right. She had taken the belt and just gone around him, not in the belt path nothing! the lapbelt was across his stomach, the shoulder part across his neck. Oh and get this she had done his chest clip...WTF really

Then she also let my 6yr old hold a gun, which we are totally against and she KNOWS it....ugh I'm sooo angry right now
    Landon 11, 65lbs in AMP
    Casen 9, 61lbs in AMP
    Hayden 6, 42lbs in Probooster
    Preston 3yrs, 28lbs, RF in MySize70

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Raegansmom4's Avatar

Re: Just need to vent about my MIL

I would be pissed too!!! Why not use the seat as you installled it?? Also, the holding a gun is a no-no w/ us too. Even though my dh is an avid pheasant hunter, our dds really never even see his gun, let alone touch one.
    Amy - former CPST
    Raegan (11/4/05) - Seat belt
    Brinlee (3/16/08) - Backless booster
    Harper (2/12/2016) - Chicco Keyfit 30

I feel you. My MIL put my not even 3 year old at the time into a backless booster one time without me knowing. Then told me one day when I was dropping him off that he was going to ride in a "big boy chair". On hell on he is NOT. I went OFF on her about it. She has not done it since. So...I know what you're feeling. She thinks that putting them in the seat & then putting the shoulder belt behind them with a VERY loose lap belt is just fine. Nope, not gonna cut it with my child.
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

Did you show her how to harness your 4 year old in the seat and she just did that anyway? If yes, WTF? Is she dumb or purposely trying to make you mad?

My kids would never be allowed unattended with the woman again if my MIL pulled something like that.
    Roxie -- CPST and mommy to:
    DD1 - 11, DD2 - 9, DS - 5

Carseat Crazy

Oh yeah she def knows how to do it, she also had my RF 26mo old and then my 6 1/2yr old in his booster, which is obviously a diff seat than my 4yr old. I don't know what she was thinking, why in the world would she undo what I had done and do it that way??? I just don't get it, I'm still so mad about it

My DH when she walked out went off about the gun and then the car seats and said next time she asks to take them anywhere he's going to say "You might as well go turn in your SUV you got to accomidate them all because you won't be taking them anywhere again, you can come to our home and watch them but that's it, you wont' take them out without us again" So I'm glad that came from him, since it's his mom, he's really pissed about it too. Why don't people think??? That seatbelt was awful, it's horrible to think what could have happened because I know it would have been really bad with how that belt was on him. And we live a good 45min atleast from her
    Landon 11, 65lbs in AMP
    Casen 9, 61lbs in AMP
    Hayden 6, 42lbs in Probooster
    Preston 3yrs, 28lbs, RF in MySize70

She must be related to my MIL. She has done everything wrong with car seats and DD, including turning her back FF so she could "see her while driving", DD was only 9 months and 18# at the time. And that is just car seats, I wont go into the crap she does aside from that.
    Kelsey, mom to...
    Kaede 9-29-06 Ridding in: Marathon, Frontier 80, and Nautilus
    Raiden (my tube fed, fundo, refuxer, with SVT) 2-6-10 ridding in a TFP

I've come to the conclusion that MILs are hazardous to our children.

MIL and I had an argument last night.
    She's been teaching my child to jump on furniture again.
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

I think I'm glad my MIL lives in another country
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Senior Community Member

I'm so sorry. I feel very lucky to have my MIL...my mom on the other hand...

Anyway, it is good your dh is upset and said something to his mother.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
    I think I'm glad my MIL lives in another country
    I think the 2nd best thing about getting divorced was getting rid of my evil MIL

Okay... when you say GUN... do you mean a REAL gun (heck, even an air rifle I count as a real gun... paintball guns... same thing... something that can actually SHOOT something out of itself)

And good for your hubby to read her the riot act... I can't believe she would do that.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos