Where to put girls on long trip

brooklynsmommy

We are leaving to go to Disneyland Monday morning. We will be taking my parents ford freestar. There are two top tethers in the middle row and one center back. The 4 adults going are on the fluffier side. My daughter is 4 and borderline 35 lbs. My cousin's daughter is almost 3 and close to 35, if not over. The easiest thing to do would be them in the back FF outboard and us in the middle row. However, the seats won't have top tethers back there. The back row is very low to the ground with very little leg room. My daughter is in a TF and she's in a MA. I would have no issue turning her rear facing. My cousin and her husband aren't seeing the issue with the TT and are being quite rude about the situation. This is a 15 hour trip. Where do I put the girls?

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

Any chance of putting the seats side by side? Marathon in the middle, tethered, TF outboard either RFing or FFing untethered. The TF passed the tethered head excursion requirement without the tether; the Marathon did not.

If that doesn't work, I would put the girls in the third row, untethered, and call it a day. Her parents don't care, and it doesn't sound like having an adult in the third row is reasonable.

brooklynsmommy

Ok I just weighed them. Brooklyn is 34.2 and Harper is 35.4... So mine will be rear facing. Harper obviously has to FF : ( I would be willing to sit back there just to make her safe. The only other thing I could think of would be to put Brooklyn in Harper's seat RF and put Harper FF in Brooklyn's. I just don't know what her parents will say.

Pixels

Probably not. I knew it would be a long shot, but I'm not sure how much space is in that vehicle.

brooklynsmommy

I wish I had a Radian. Hmm I know this isn't ideal, but
could I put the MA outboard passenger side and use the top tether for the center position?

2BunniesMommy

I was about to head out and check my van's man. last night when I saw this question...my sister was nice and reminded me that DH had taken the van to work before I headed outside. So, the van is home now and I just went and read. Didn't find the answer for you, sorry. For the middle bench seat it says that the 2 TA can be used for 2 seats outboard or either one can be used for the middle. I don't see it saying the opposite for the 3rd row, using the center for an outboard, so I am thinking it would not be ok.

As far as attaching the tethers in the Freestar, you need to do one half twist of the tether strap so that the clip is facing open side out. Not sure if you were aware of that, since it is the opposite of other brands of cars, so wanted to put that out there.

Also wanted to add that as a "fluffy" adult, I sure would not want to be in the 3rd row for a 15 hour trip. MIL is tiny, probably around 5'2", maybe less and around 100lbs, and she said the 3rd row was not bad on a 4 hour each way trip with the center bench pulled up. But me, no way I could sit back there! OUCH! So, I would find a way to make the kid's seats work in the 3rd row. The second row isn't comfy either by any means, but it beats the 3rd!

brooklynsmommy

On the center row the lower anchors are standard spaced. That is why you can use the inside sets between the two seats.

I need to know if this is going to be ok for the trip. It is a little off center. If it isn't, I need to know if I can use the center TT for the outboard passenger side.

Last edited:

oxeye

Off center is fine as long as you aren't relying on the carseat next to it to make it a tight install. I would take the TF out and make sure the Marathon is still tight without that seat next to it.

I'm heading to Disneyland this week too, btw. We're driving there Wednesday, will be in the park Thursday, and driving home Friday. It's only an 8 hour drive for us but still .... that's A LOT of time in the car together.

2BunniesMommy

On the center row the lower anchors are standard spaced. That is why you can use the inside sets between the two seats.

I need to know if this is going to be ok for the trip. It is a little off center. If it isn't, I need to know if I can use the center TT for the outboard passenger side.

How do you have the outboard seat attached in that pic?

ETA: I was thinking you were using the center row, but now I am not so sure...So, I am also wondering...Is that pic in the center row or the 3rd row?
If it is the 3rd, you are fine as long as both seats are independently tight. If it is the second row, I'm waiting for the answer for my first question.

Last edited:

steph_s

I hope I'm just reading that wrong, but you can't attach two seats to one anchor. They each need their own or use the seatbelt to install.

brooklynsmommy

Off center is fine as long as you aren't relying on the carseat next to it to make it a tight install. I would take the TF out and make sure the Marathon is still tight without that seat next to it.

I'm heading to Disneyland this week too, btw. We're driving there Wednesday, will be in the park Thursday, and driving home Friday. It's only an 8 hour drive for us but still .... that's A LOT of time in the car together.

I would love to meet you some where while we are there if you are interested! We will be there Wed, Thurs, and Fri.

How do you have the outboard seat attached in that pic?

ETA: I was thinking you were using the center row, but now I am not so sure...So, I am also wondering...Is that pic in the center row or the 3rd row?
If it is the 3rd, you are fine as long as both seats are independently tight. If it is the second row, I'm waiting for the answer for my first question.

I have my TF driver side 3rd row with the seat belt. The MA is installed 3rd row center with LATCH. That is the only position that has LATCH in the 3rd row. We will be sitting in the middle row. If for some reason we need to move the girls, they will switch seats and go outboard with the MA RF and the TF FF.

I hope I'm just reading that wrong, but you can't attach two seats to one anchor. They each need their own or use the seatbelt to install.

No, ford allows the use of the two inside lower anchors to be used between the seats. They are standard spaced. So there is basically a seat sitting inbetween the two actual seats.

Page 180 in the manual here explains it. http://www.evergreenford.com/quickQuote/manuals/2007/Freestar.pdf

2BunniesMommy

I have my TF driver side 3rd row with the seat belt. The MA is installed 3rd row center with LATCH. That is the only position that has LATCH in the 3rd row. We will be sitting in the middle row. If for some reason we need to move the girls, they will switch seats and go outboard with the MA RF and the TF FF.

Great! By the handle on the seat under the MA, I thought for sure it had to be the 3rd row, but it didn't look like it was back far enough.

No, ford allows the use of the two inside lower anchors to be used between the seats. They are standard spaced. So there is basically a seat sitting inbetween the two actual seats.

The 3rd row is 3 seating positions with a LATCh position just in the middle, so that is fine. What I think Steph was worried about, as was I, is that if you were using the middle row, you might have the MA and the Truefit attached to the same lower anchor, which would not be ok. The center seat has 2 seating positions. Those positions can be used by 2 people, 2 car seats, or 1 car seat can use the LATCh in the center, but then no other car seat or person can use that row. It is an either/or but it looked like you might have been doing and. Glad to know that is not ok and that you were able to fit the seats side by side in the 3rd row.

Have a great trip!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC