Screaming fit while RF :(

SavsMom

My daughter will be 2 in just over a week. She is a peanut in size weighing in at 23lbs and about 33-34". She is still riding rear facing in a BV or Ave. On occasion she will ride FF in a Nautilus in Grandma's car (rarely).

In the past two months - every time I put her in the car she screams her little head off, I mean SCREAMS at the top of her lungs, to the point of making herself sick (literally throwing up). I have tried her in both her RF'ing seats - taken both out, re-installed, made sure there was nothing poking her or making her uncomfy in them. I've tried the DVD player, I have tried different toys, I even put her mirror back up so she could see me - and nothing has helped.

Because of her small stature I want to continue to rear face her longer - but having to be in the car quite often + the screaming = not a good time and tons of stress. Any ideas?

On another note - she is so tiny she has now figured out how to slip her shoulders out of the harness in all three seats. I have watched her do it so I could see if it had to do with how I had her in the seat - and no, the chest clip is in the correct position and the harness is tight as can be. She has very narrow shoulders and can twist them in a way I have never seen before.

So now I need advice - what do I do (and not going in the car isn't an option) -lol!

ADS

TiaxMarie

My DD can get out of her harness, too. I know the chest clip is armpit level, and it is tight enough, so I think that is just the age. I stop the car every single time she does it and she has stopped.

As for te rear-facing, can you sing songs and interact while in the car? Play games? I ask Sophia to tell me when theres a red car behind us or if we pass a blue house. She loves it. We change it up and she gets to look for different things each ride.

I agree with you about keeping her rear-facing. My daughter will be 2 on Sunday, and she's bigger than yours, at 26lbs 37 inches, and I am no where comfortable turning her around.

I hope it gets better!

Kat_Momof3

it's that age... they like to test their limits and boundaries... she's probably just one of those that, when they scream enough, they can puke... it really stinks, but I promise, she'll outgrow it.

SavsMom

I sure hope so...I thought this may be the case too, but after two months of dealing with it I may just need to invest in some noise canceling head phones :eek:

I am patiently awaiting the arrival of a new CA that I won - maybe a new seat will do the trick :whistle:

it's that age... they like to test their limits and boundaries... she's probably just one of those that, when they scream enough, they can puke... it really stinks, but I promise, she'll outgrow it.

tanyapecora

My DS went through this exact same thing. I wound up having to turn him at 28 months because every time we arrived at our destination the shoulder straps were around his waist. I figured he was safer FF and harnessed. Funny thing was he couldn't do it once the seat was turned FF and the straps were above his shoulders. He still screams and freaks out when I put him the car seat, he just doesn't like being restrained! It may not matter which way your daughter is facing.

Heather86

Pretty much this. My son never has but my bff's daughter who is 2 months older would get so worked up she'd puke :( It sucks but at around 2 1/2-3ish she outgrew it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC