In a Crash Today Pictures Included

brightredmtn

My mom, DS and I were in a crash today. The car looks horrible, I can only assume it's totaled but everyone is mostly ok, so far, I think... My mom is currently at the hospital awaiting a cat scan to make sure that her broken ribs haven't caused any liver damage. I am going to go in tomorrow to confirm broken ribs too.

We were driving north on the freeway when a Toyota Sequoia was just stopped in the middle of the freeway. My mother was driving and she was definitely a very safe following distance behind the car. She slammed on the breaks and we were easily stopped and didn't hit the car but all of a sudden the car behind us slammed into us thus causing us to slam into the Sequoia.

Here are some pics.

4135324048_655ec82ded.jpg

4135324054_d7b6a34506.jpg

DS was in his TWE, RF. It did magnificently in the crash. The tethers are a bit frayed and so is the cover in a couple of spots. I haven't checked over the shell. Obviously not going to continue to use it. DS has never sat FF but I had to install him FF in the tow truck to go 1 mile to get to a rest stop to wait to get picked up. (Our other choice was to wait by the side of the freeway which was DEFINITELY more dangerous than using a crashed seat for a 1 mile ride in a huge tow truck.) DS was SO funny sitting FF, I don't think he liked it. The first thing he said was "but I can't see you!" After his father came to get us he told him "and I sat this way in the tow truck." When he said "this way" he held his arms out. So cute how he described it. Oh another funny he asked the state trooper if Mater was going to come and get us.

Here is DS with his new friends:

4134807047_81621c7c6e.jpg

So now on to new car and new car seat shopping. Anyone know how a Radian does in a Honda CRV?

Oh and can I just say how done I am with 2009? Quick recap... DH and I split in June, lost my job in Sept. now this. I'm really ready for 2010.

ADS

mommy2env

:eek:

I'm glad everyone is okay, it must have been so freaking scary! I'm giggling at the Mater thing. lol

Jan06twinmom

I'm so glad that everyone in your car was okay. I hope people in the other cars were too.

What is the TWE? I think I'm too tired to figure out that abbreviation!

Melanie

brightredmtn

Oh good!

What did his 'new friends' think of him RF'ing?

No one cared LOL and I tried to point it out several times. The trooper even said that his seat was fine and that we could use it for the 1.5 hours to get home :thumbsdown:. I mean I get it if that's your only option, which it easily could have been but I would have preferred he at least say that I needed to replace it and that should be a last resort. Actually a fire fighter did tell me to replace it. That was the woman, she's probably a mom.

brightredmtn

Oh one more thing. I did notice that food was everywhere in the inside of the car that hit us and the trooper said that they had just gotten food and were eating. So no more eating while I drive! I'm sure that's why they were distracted and didn't slow down.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You know, I collect crashed seats..:whistle: and have a radian you can test drive. Just happens to be in you area. So glad you guys are ok!

brightredmtn

You know, I collect crashed seats..:whistle: and have a radian you can test drive. Just happens to be in you area. So glad you guys are ok!

Judi I was going to try and get in touch with you if I couldn't get a hold of DS's father.

I think I'm going to hang on to the TWE for now but if it starts taking up too much space it may need to go live at Judi's farm.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hey, I don't blame you. I still have DS's seat! But still, if you want to play with the XTSL, let me know.

brightredmtn

Hey, I don't blame you. I still have DS's seat! But still, if you want to play with the XTSL, let me know.

I might take you up on that when I go to test drive new cars.

We were 15 miles south of Salem I kept wondering if you knew any of the first responders that came!

emandbri

How scary! I'm so glad you guys are okay! I'm curious what their insurance says about covering the cost of the replacement. Do keep us update!

Are you hurt at all? Your son looks fine.

HUGS!

oxeye

I'm so glad everyone is okay! Those pictures are scary.

Any idea why the Sequoia in front of you stopped in the middle of the freeway? (Or did I misunderstand and it was a traffic jam?)

mommy2jasmine

Wow! I'm so glad you guys are ok. This story reminds me of the one on that site, I think it's called, myangelsaliandpeanut, about the mom and her two kids who were going to some sporting event, and the same thing happened to them. They stopped, because the car(s) in front were stopped and the person behind them plowed right into them.

Definitely let us know how they handle your foreign seat. I am planning on getting one, well, a foreign seat that is, so I'd love to hear how it was handled.

I am so glad you guys are in Oregon. I used to live there, and the traffic is very slow, compared to where we live now. I can't imagine the car that hit you was going much over 60. I'm afraid of that happening to me, and the people here are always going 75+

I hope that you and your mom recover, and am so glad your little boy is ok. That mater comment is too cute!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC