Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CPS Technician

In a Crash Today Pictures Included

My mom, DS and I were in a crash today. The car looks horrible, I can only assume it's totaled but everyone is mostly ok, so far, I think... My mom is currently at the hospital awaiting a cat scan to make sure that her broken ribs haven't caused any liver damage. I am going to go in tomorrow to confirm broken ribs too.

We were driving north on the freeway when a Toyota Sequoia was just stopped in the middle of the freeway. My mother was driving and she was definitely a very safe following distance behind the car. She slammed on the breaks and we were easily stopped and didn't hit the car but all of a sudden the car behind us slammed into us thus causing us to slam into the Sequoia.

Here are some pics.

DS was in his TWE, RF. It did magnificently in the crash. The tethers are a bit frayed and so is the cover in a couple of spots. I haven't checked over the shell. Obviously not going to continue to use it. DS has never sat FF but I had to install him FF in the tow truck to go 1 mile to get to a rest stop to wait to get picked up. (Our other choice was to wait by the side of the freeway which was DEFINITELY more dangerous than using a crashed seat for a 1 mile ride in a huge tow truck.) DS was SO funny sitting FF, I don't think he liked it. The first thing he said was "but I can't see you!" After his father came to get us he told him "and I sat this way in the tow truck." When he said "this way" he held his arms out. So cute how he described it. Oh another funny he asked the state trooper if Mater was going to come and get us.

Here is DS with his new friends:

So now on to new car and new car seat shopping. Anyone know how a Radian does in a Honda CRV?

Oh and can I just say how done I am with 2009? Quick recap... DH and I split in June, lost my job in Sept. now this. I'm really ready for 2010.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member mommy2env's Avatar

Re: In a Crash Today Pictures Included

I'm glad everyone is okay, it must have been so freaking scary! I'm giggling at the Mater thing. lol

DD1~14yrs old~Seatbelt

DD2~8 yrs old ~Cow Frontier 85 and Pink Monterey
    DS~3 yrs old Britax Roundabout and Coccoro in Licorice/Carrot Cake
    DD3~ 10 weeks in a Chicco Keyfit

CPS Fanatic

I'm so glad that everyone in your car was okay. I hope people in the other cars were too.

What is the TWE? I think I'm too tired to figure out that abbreviation!

Melanie

Wow definitely totalled!

Glad you all are ok!!

How were the people in the car behind you?
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Jan06twinmom View Post
    What is the TWE? I think I'm too tired to figure out that abbreviation!
    Two Way Elite (Swedish seat)

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Wow definitely totalled!

Glad you all are ok!!

How were the people in the car behind you?
    Everyone was walking around. I didn't talk to anyone besides the trooper and the fire fighters. I was way to shaken up to deal with anything. It was super scary!

Oh good!

What did his 'new friends' think of him RF'ing?
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Oh good!

What did his 'new friends' think of him RF'ing?
    No one cared LOL and I tried to point it out several times. The trooper even said that his seat was fine and that we could use it for the 1.5 hours to get home . I mean I get it if that's your only option, which it easily could have been but I would have preferred he at least say that I needed to replace it and that should be a last resort. Actually a fire fighter did tell me to replace it. That was the woman, she's probably a mom.

CPS Technician

Oh one more thing. I did notice that food was everywhere in the inside of the car that hit us and the trooper said that they had just gotten food and were eating. So no more eating while I drive! I'm sure that's why they were distracted and didn't slow down.

You know, I collect crashed seats.. and have a radian you can test drive. Just happens to be in you area. So glad you guys are ok!

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    You know, I collect crashed seats.. and have a radian you can test drive. Just happens to be in you area. So glad you guys are ok!
    Judi I was going to try and get in touch with you if I couldn't get a hold of DS's father.

I think I'm going to hang on to the TWE for now but if it starts taking up too much space it may need to go live at Judi's farm.

Hey, I don't blame you. I still have DS's seat! But still, if you want to play with the XTSL, let me know.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    Hey, I don't blame you. I still have DS's seat! But still, if you want to play with the XTSL, let me know.
    I might take you up on that when I go to test drive new cars.

We were 15 miles south of Salem I kept wondering if you knew any of the first responders that came!

How scary! I'm so glad you guys are okay! I'm curious what their insurance says about covering the cost of the replacement. Do keep us update!

Are you hurt at all? Your son looks fine.

HUGS!

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

CPS Advocate

That is some serious damage. I'm so glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

So scary. I'm glad everyone is ok.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

I'm so glad everyone is okay! Those pictures are scary.

Any idea why the Sequoia in front of you stopped in the middle of the freeway? (Or did I misunderstand and it was a traffic jam?)
    Roxie -- CPST and mommy to:
    DD1 - 11, DD2 - 9, DS - 5

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

How scary! I'm so glad you all are (mostly) okay.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

So scary! Did anyone say anything about the seat being foreign? I am so glad you all are safe.
    Tia- CPST wife to Riki
    Stay at home mama to:
    Sophia 11.29.07 riding in a Britax Parkway SGL
    Alaina 8.21.10 riding in a Britax Frontier 90
    Surro Twins L & E 1.6.13 & Surro Baby #3 Due 11.10.14

Wow, that's some pretty serious damage. I'm so glad you're all mostly okay. Are you glad he was rear facing?
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

Wow! I'm so glad you guys are ok. This story reminds me of the one on that site, I think it's called, myangelsaliandpeanut, about the mom and her two kids who were going to some sporting event, and the same thing happened to them. They stopped, because the car(s) in front were stopped and the person behind them plowed right into them.

Definitely let us know how they handle your foreign seat. I am planning on getting one, well, a foreign seat that is, so I'd love to hear how it was handled.

I am so glad you guys are in Oregon. I used to live there, and the traffic is very slow, compared to where we live now. I can't imagine the car that hit you was going much over 60. I'm afraid of that happening to me, and the people here are always going 75+

I hope that you and your mom recover, and am so glad your little boy is ok. That mater comment is too cute!
    Jen - Proud mommy to
    Jasmine - 3.5 yrs 32 lbs & 36 inches. Torso = 12 inches. RF in a Graco MyRide 65