Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

nervous about upcoming flight!

My daughter and I are flying from San Francisco to Australia on Sunday.

I have booked her a seat (window) and I have the centre.

I have booked our tickets for United Economy plus so we have alittle more room.

I really want to have her RF on the plane, at her well check yesterday she was 19lbs 5oz so "legally" she still has to RF but she is 14.5 months old, and I don't want the flight attendants to kick up a stink.

It's a relatively full flight so the person infront isn't going to be impressed if their seat can't recline

I have a gogo kidz travelmate to carry her (and the seat) through the airport.

She is in a Boulevard, so I hope it fits!!

Any advice on what I can say/do so I can RF her?

Summer 9.9.08 25.5lbs 35.75in FF Scenera - Ashton 7.1.10 19lbs 3oz 29.50in RF MA70

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: nervous about upcoming flight!

The Blvd will fit fine RF! It's your DD's right to be properly restrained in her seat; it's a perk for the person in front of you to be able to recline, not a right If they make a fuss (which they probably won't) just tell them she's under 20 pounds and they legally can't make you FF her! Don't worry, it will go fine
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    The Blvd will fit fine RF! It's your DD's right to be properly restrained in her seat; it's a perk for the person in front of you to be able to recline, not a right If they make a fuss (which they probably won't) just tell them she's under 20 pounds and they legally can't make you FF her! Don't worry, it will go fine
    I thought about saying that but I didn't want to get the whole "shes 14 months thing"

She was weighed nude, so I am sure with clothes she is 20ish but I won't tell them that!

Summer 9.9.08 25.5lbs 35.75in FF Scenera - Ashton 7.1.10 19lbs 3oz 29.50in RF MA70

No need to mention age I have flown with my kids well over 14 months RF and just installed it and went on my way; I only had one FA mention that she didn't think you could RF on the plane but the other FA corrected her right away.

ETA: It's always a good idea to print out the FAA guidelines as well as United's policy, so if they say anything you can whip that out
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    No need to mention age I have flown with my kids well over 14 months RF and just installed it and went on my way; I only had one FA mention that she didn't think you could RF on the plane but the other FA corrected her right away.

ETA: It's always a good idea to print out the FAA guidelines as well as United's policy, so if they say anything you can whip that out
    oh good idea!! off to google to FAA guidelines!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I flew Southwest a few weeks ago and on one flight (out of 3) I took with my kids, I was challenged on my RF 18 month old. I was told I had to turn the seat around (it was a Complete Air); I said, "But she's within the weight limits to rear-face." They said, "No, all seats like that have to be put in the other way." I very, very politely, with my best smile, said the magic words I had read on this forum: "May I see where it says that in the manual, please? I am willing to follow your directions, but it's my understanding that I can choose which way to install it. I'd really like to see where it says I can't in the manual."

They whispered among themselves, and I heard one say, "We're taxiing, she can't do it now anyway." They said they would radio to have someone look it up in the manual (they didn't have it on board?) and get back to me. One of them came back halfway through the flight to tell me they looked it up-- and I was correct, it's the parent's choice how to install the seat.

Moral of the story: don't get belligerent if challenged. Act like you know exactly what the rules are (you do), be very polite, ask to see where it says that in the manual, and indicate that you're willing to comply with instructions (so they don't kick you off the plane) and it will most likely come out well in the end, hopefully with a minimum of stress!
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

I've installed our marathons RF on planes before. Having more room in the economy plus should help. I usually needed to install them in the upright position when RF on the plane just to make it fit. With the nice recline on the Britax seats you may want to see how it fits that way, if your DD is comfy that way it might give the person in front a little more room since it will be a long flight.

Good luck
    Ann