nervous about upcoming flight!

Mummy2Summer

My daughter and I are flying from San Francisco to Australia on Sunday.

I have booked her a seat (window) and I have the centre.

I have booked our tickets for United Economy plus so we have alittle more room.

I really want to have her RF on the plane, at her well check yesterday she was 19lbs 5oz so "legally" she still has to RF but she is 14.5 months old, and I don't want the flight attendants to kick up a stink.

It's a relatively full flight so the person infront isn't going to be impressed if their seat can't recline :whistle:

I have a gogo kidz travelmate to carry her (and the seat) through the airport.

She is in a Boulevard, so I hope it fits!!

Any advice on what I can say/do so I can RF her?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The Blvd will fit fine RF! It's your DD's right to be properly restrained in her seat; it's a perk for the person in front of you to be able to recline, not a right ;) If they make a fuss (which they probably won't) just tell them she's under 20 pounds and they legally can't make you FF her! Don't worry, it will go fine :)

Mummy2Summer

The Blvd will fit fine RF! It's your DD's right to be properly restrained in her seat; it's a perk for the person in front of you to be able to recline, not a right ;) If they make a fuss (which they probably won't) just tell them she's under 20 pounds and they legally can't make you FF her! Don't worry, it will go fine :)

I thought about saying that but I didn't want to get the whole "shes 14 months thing"

She was weighed nude, so I am sure with clothes she is 20ish but I won't tell them that!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
No need to mention age :) I have flown with my kids well over 14 months RF and just installed it and went on my way; I only had one FA mention that she didn't think you could RF on the plane but the other FA corrected her right away.

ETA: It's always a good idea to print out the FAA guidelines as well as United's policy, so if they say anything you can whip that out :)

Mummy2Summer

No need to mention age :) I have flown with my kids well over 14 months RF and just installed it and went on my way; I only had one FA mention that she didn't think you could RF on the plane but the other FA corrected her right away.

ETA: It's always a good idea to print out the FAA guidelines as well as United's policy, so if they say anything you can whip that out :)

oh good idea!! off to google to FAA guidelines!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I flew Southwest a few weeks ago and on one flight (out of 3) I took with my kids, I was challenged on my RF 18 month old. I was told I had to turn the seat around (it was a Complete Air); I said, "But she's within the weight limits to rear-face." They said, "No, all seats like that have to be put in the other way." I very, very politely, with my best smile, said the magic words I had read on this forum: "May I see where it says that in the manual, please? I am willing to follow your directions, but it's my understanding that I can choose which way to install it. I'd really like to see where it says I can't in the manual."

They whispered among themselves, and I heard one say, "We're taxiing, she can't do it now anyway." They said they would radio to have someone look it up in the manual (they didn't have it on board?) and get back to me. One of them came back halfway through the flight to tell me they looked it up-- and I was correct, it's the parent's choice how to install the seat. :)

Moral of the story: don't get belligerent if challenged. Act like you know exactly what the rules are (you do), be very polite, ask to see where it says that in the manual, and indicate that you're willing to comply with instructions (so they don't kick you off the plane) and it will most likely come out well in the end, hopefully with a minimum of stress!

aeormsby

I've installed our marathons RF on planes before. Having more room in the economy plus should help. I usually needed to install them in the upright position when RF on the plane just to make it fit. With the nice recline on the Britax seats you may want to see how it fits that way, if your DD is comfy that way it might give the person in front a little more room since it will be a long flight.

Good luck
Ann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC