Question My Ride vs True Fit

crstcrzy

Ok, so DD is a big girl.. by big girl, I mean, she's in the 95th percentile and 28 lbs at 13 mths old. :eek: From her birth weight of 6lb 4 oz. I thought I'd have more time before I'd be bumping her out of the RF Scenera. No Such Luck.
So, MommyCat and I have been talking about seat options, and I figure given my budget restrictions (DH is such a kill joy) its between a Graco My Ride, or a True Fit.
We have a van, and only 2 kids, so space isn't a huge issue. We have UAS, but not on the bench seat, and no locking seat belts (Dodge....)
What say you ladies and gents? anyone have experience with both these seats, and/or an installation-challenged other half:whistle:?
Thanks!
W:love:

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Is she in the 95%ile for height too, or just weight?

If she's in the 95%ile for weight only, I'd get the MyRide for its 40 lb. RF limit.

If she's in the 95%ile for height only, I'd get the True Fit for its taller shell.

If she's in the 95%ile for both ... get whichever you prefer for now and re-evaluate (based on what's available then) when she's close to outgrowing it one way or the other.

I don't have much experience with the True Fit, but I do have a My Ride and can say that it's a super-easy install. :thumbsup:

crstcrzy

she's in the 95 for both, beleive it or not! Her brother wasn't her size until he was 2, so I'm completely out of my parental choice league here.
One part of me (the "Oh! Its new, and rear faces longer!" part) says to get the My Ride because it rear faces longer, but the practical side of my brain (which doesn't seem to voice its opinion often lol) says she's going to be tall like the women in DH's family (5'8, 5'9, and 5'10), so the taller shell for overall useful life beyond rear facing would be the wiser choice in the long run....
HELP:confused:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
she's in the 95 for both, beleive it or not! Her brother wasn't her size until he was 2, so I'm completely out of my parental choice league here.
One part of me (the "Oh! Its new, and rear faces longer!" part) says to get the My Ride because it rear faces longer, but the practical side of my brain (which doesn't seem to voice its opinion often lol) says she's going to be tall like the women in DH's family (5'8, 5'9, and 5'10), so the taller shell for overall useful life beyond rear facing would be the wiser choice in the long run....
HELP:confused:

Really, it's possible that she'd hit 35 lbs. (RF limit of the True Fit) at around the same time she'd outgrow the My Ride by height, so I still say this ;):

If she's in the 95%ile for both ... get whichever you prefer for now and re-evaluate (based on what's available then) when she's close to outgrowing it one way or the other.

DD and I really do like the My Ride. :)

Raegansmom4

I still think the MR would buy you a bit more rfing time... Or, she may slow down on weight gain when she gets to walking a lot. My dd is 95th for weight but only 25th for height, so the MR is perfect for her - she may be one of the few who will outgrow the MR rfing by weight first. Would saving up for a Radian SL w/ the 45 lb limit be feasible, or is this the only convertible you could get? If you could save up for the Radian, I'd see which you could find cheaper, the MR or the TF to use now and get the Radian later.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I've owned both (in fact, I own both right now!).

• The MR is easier to install (although in our vehicle the TF is not bad at all, just takes some fiddling to get the angle correct)
  • The TF has WAY better UAS hooks, alligator style. The MR has those stupid clips.
  • If you're installing on a seat without UAS, and using your non-locking seat belts, the TF has built in lock offs. You'll need to use a locking clip with the MR (comes with).
  • The MR is cozier for sleeping as their heads don't have to tilt to the side as far.
  • Kids love the close up cupholders on the MR. The TF cupholder was difficult to reach even for my 3 year old, it just sits too low.
  • MR harness straps and buckle are nicer. The TF straps have the potential to twist, mine never have, but I can someone less conscientious having them twist on them.
  • MR is easier to tighten although the TF isn't bad.
  • MR is easier to loosen due to easier access to harness adjuster. Although with my vehicle seats I can actually get to the TF adjuster, but it's still easier in the MR.
  • MR sits up higher and kids like it as they can see out the windows better.
  • On the flipside, the TF is lower which gives more room between the seat and door jamb, so easier for child to get in and out (or easier for you to put child in and out). This might not matter to you with a van since you'll have huge, sliding door access likely or in the very least be standing inside and not outside the door.
I am still not sure which one I prefer. Right now I'm missing the TF but I've only been using the MR for a few days. DD liked the TF, but it seems she prefers the MR.

armywife12

We have both and I prefer the MyRide because of the higher rear facing weight limit that my son needs. Can you give us an idea of how long her torso is? My son has consistantly been in the 95+% for height and around 75% for weight. He is 27 months old, 35lbs, at least 38 inches and has a torso at least 14 inches. He still has TONS of height room rear facing in the True Fit BUT he has already reached the 35lb rear facing limit so he'd have to go forward if in that seat. He rides rear facing in the MyRide and has at least 3 inches of shell above the top of his head (so about 2 inches of growing room left). If your little one gains weight faster than she grows torso height, I'd go with the MyRide hands down. You say she is really tall but it has more to do with her torso length than her overall length. If she is longer in the legs, then she will fit in car seats longer than children with long torsoes. My son has a longish torso and still has several more months of rear facing time left in his MyRide.
The MyRide is easier to install, easier to adjust the harness length and can sit at a more upright angle. Where is her head in relation to the top of the Scenera? Could you show us a pic? That may help us get a visual on how long her torso is. I tried my son out in the Scenera just last week for fun and he has less than an inch of shell above his head so he would have to go forward in it as well.

lpperry

If she is that big, I would look on the swap board here to see if you can find someone selling a radian as long as it fits in your car. I bought one from someone on here with a July 08 date. I got it for the same price shipped as you could get a Myride. Actually, PM me if you are interested, because she has a second one that she was selling too. I don't know if she sold it, but it would be worth checking if you really want a radian!

Other than that, I don't know much about the Myride vs Truefit. I just know that my kids are short and weightless. My 5 year old still fits by height and weight in a small harnessed seat and is only 36 pounds. My 7 month old is only 15 pounds and in 3 month clothes. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about getting tall seats or seats with high rf weights!

NannyMom

BabyS, one of my nanny kids, is 95% for height and weight. She's 24 pounds at 10 months (and at 9 months she was 21). She also has a longer torso than legs I think. I would love for her Mom to buy a My Ride. I suspect she may need the weight more than the height.

canadiangie

OP,

In terms of car seat installation your seatbelts lock at the latchplate. And in an emergency your shoulder belt also locks.

Specifically in terms of car seat installation, you just need to buckle, pull the belt nice and snug, and things should hold. If you find the seatbelt loosens over time you can re-tigthen, unbuckle, flip the male end over once, and re-buckle. If you're not comfy flipping the seatbelt you can use a locking clip (on the MR for example.. the TF has lock-offs so the belt won't loosen over time).

I just wanted to clarify how your seatbelts work. You say your vehicle has UAS so I know it's a post '02 model, which means your belts definetely lock -- in your case at the latchplate. :thumbsup:

In your case, I'd go with a MR by the way. I'd scoop one up this weekend for $189 at BRU. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC