Ni hao from Shanghai!!!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Where I have successfully resisted Nathan's insistence on taxis twice now. "They don't have seatbelts, so you don't need to worry about the carseat!" Riiiiiight........ The subway is great here, and other than a sore body it's fun to walk around, so I'm doing just fine without cars. Besides, they drive like maniacs.

When we were walking to the mall this morning I saw a young kid sitting on someone's lap in the front seat without a seatbelt. In China less than 12 hours, first time out on my own walking any distance when it's light out. Sigh.

However, we did go to the Toys R Us that just opened, and I checked out the carseats. As crappy as they are with their seat useage, they at least have one great RFing seat. The Touriva. LOL Well, not a great seat, but a great weight. Five point harness and everything. I just laughed when I saw it. There were some others, too. Graco has their Turbobooster here under a different name, Combi is here, and a company called Good Baby. Those were about it, though. But still, some nice infant and convertible seats, and some basic boosters. I took pictures for all the geeks here, but I can't upload until I'm home. hehehehe

Anyway, wanted to post since I went to TRU already and have been pushed toward the taxis and said no. Nathan should know better. When I have been forced to take taxis in the past there at least has been a seatbelt. It falls under the "better than nothing" category. Well, here there is nothing, so they fail to become an option. Feet, rails, bus. That's it!

Zia-zian!

Wendy

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hi Wendy!!!

I'm sorry that one of your first encounters in China was with a child on a lap.

Are you all having fun, though? Is Piper enjoying China?

Have a good trip!!

cantech

Wendy,

You're a woman after my own heart! I love to play what seats do they have here :D !

Have a ball and stick to your guns on the taxis.

Belinda

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper seems to be having a good time so far. She's barely walked anywhere. LOL My shoulders are getting such definition. Good thing she's light. She also gets so much attention. This morning on the subway the ENTIRE car was staring at her. They're not shy about their staring here. Nor touching. In a store we had about 12 women around us touching her. They were upset that she was just in pants, shoes (no socks), a shirt, and a fleece. They were all wearing their uniform jacket, a shirt, and long johns. It's about 40 degrees here. Hardly long john weather, IMO, but all the kids here are done up in snow suits. Piper was chilly, it cooled down a lot during the day today, but in the sling she was ok, we kept each other warm.

We went to the Old City today, which is not on the subway line at all. I had to tell the concierge who was helping me with directions three times that taxis were out. I was tempted when she asked someone and then said that yes, they do have seatbelts (kind of a it's better than nothing) but then the guy said that they only had them in the front seat. I am NOT sticking my child in an ill fitting seatbelt in the front seat. End of temptation. So we walked about a mile from the subway to the ferry, then another mile into Old City, then around Old City, a mile back to the ferry, decided not to take it, a mile up the Bund, then about a mile back (with a subway ride to split that last mile up). I am so sore. Just a week until my knee surgery and I'm so looking forward to a week on my butt. LOL

Tomorrow we're heading out of town via train, so that should be fun.

I'll be home late Friday night, so this weekend I should be able to post pictures then. I didn't see any travel systems, and strollers are rare here. Most kids are carried in arms or they walk. I saw one lady who looked like she was using a podeagi (which freaked me out until I remembered that Seoul is probably only an hour flight from here) but that's the only other sling. I didn't see anyone in the fabric market today who looked like I could explain a mei tai to them to have one made. Their English is exceedingly limited, and I don't know the characters for mei tai, and I'm not sure on the actual pronounciation. But Piper and I each got a custom dress made. She got a silk traditional Chinese dress, one like you see women wearing, but sized to her. I got a little black dress, black silk, emphasized high waist and A line skirt. I watch What Not To Wear. LOL Both dresses together will be done on Friday and were $70. There's the wedding taken care of next month! LOL Mine doesn't have straps, but I have a cashmere wrap my mom got me from Florence that will go beautifully.

Ok, I'm rambling. LOL

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC