Replacing wrecked carseats, need advice please

momofthecloth

Replacing wrecked carseats, need advice please NEW Q #7

I was in a wreck yesterday, and fortunately my children were not with me. I will be replacing our carseats and I expect the other driver's insurance will cover them (the wreck was their fault). I need advice on which seats, and how this whole process with the insurance works?

I need to replace:

3 Radian 80s = 2 year old twins, 4 year old daughter
1 Britax Parkway = 9 year old daughter

I plan to replace the Radians with Radians...do I want XT's? 80SL's? 80's?
Is Britax making the Parkway again? I need a narrow seat for space. Wondering if a Parkway will fit as well next to an XT as it did an 80? Should I spend some out of pocket to get the best?

I am just anticipating resistance from the insurance company. Advice? My insurance told me that it would be up to the adjuster since no kids were buckled into them at the time of the wreck - but I expect the other driver's insurance needs to cover it, so who knows what their adjuster will say? I want new seats, absolutely.

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can get a letter from SK saying that the seats MUST be replaced. If not, tell the insurance company you want a letter from them stating they accept all liability for future injury or death because you reused crashed seats.

I would expect the price you paid for the seats to be repaid. So you might pay out of pocket if you "upgrade." I would consider that fair.

The XT and 80 and the SLs are all the same size. So an old Parkway would fit next to one or the other. The new Parkway SG is still narrow, but it has armrests, so it may not fit the same way, even though it's narrow.

I'd go for the SLs, either the XT or 80, because of the 45 pound rear facing limit. Then if I was shopping between those two I'd personally go for the XT. There are no standards for SIP, but the wings are nice for sleepingwhen your kids are big enough for them.

Wendy

Pixels

The Radians definitely need replacing. The manual says to replace after any crash. The Parkway might need replacing depending on the severity of the crash. Britax follows NHTSA guidelines for replacement, and doesn't need to be replaced after a minor crash.

The first step with the insurance is to just ask for replacement. They will let you know what they need. For me, they wanted the original receipt and cut me a check for that amount. If the ins co balks at replacing, start by giving them the statements from the owners manuals about needing replacement. That often works.

Britax is not making the old-style Parkway any more but has released a new booster with the name Parkway SG. I believe it is also very narrow. The SG stands for slide guard or something like that. The seat has a crotch strap (mandatory that you use) which you slip onto the vehicle lap belt and helps keep the lap belt low.

If you need narrow seats, Radians are probably your best bet still. As for 65 vs 80 vs XT, and SL vs non-SL, there's a lot of factors. They all have the same shell, same harness slots.
65: Your basic seat. RF to 40 pounds (DOM 8/08 and later), FF to 65 pounds.
80: RF to 40 pounds (DOM 8/08 and later), FF to 80 pounds. Comes with infant insert (can be used as toddler pillow).
XT: adds headwings to 80 for additional side impact protection.
LATCH weight limit 48 pounds or the vehicle's limit, whichever is lower.

Now for the SLs:
65SL RF to 40.
80SL and XTSL RF to 45.
All can be installed with LATCH up to the max weight limit of the seat in a vehicle that is manufactured 9/1/2005 or later.
Everything else is the same as the non-SL versions.

momofthecloth

Wendy and Melissa - you two ladies are Godsends. Thank you for that information. I know you probably get asked the same questions over and over, but for this frazzled, hurting mom with shot nerves from the wreck...it is super appreciated.

The good news is that the other driver's insurance has already accepted responsibility and will reimburse me for my seats.

If you have anything you'd recommend over the Parkway SG that is relatively close in price, please let me know. I like the new crotch strap for the prevention of submarining. I looked at the SK Monterey also (wish it had that strap); unsure about its width.

Again, thanks so much for the advice.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Alora, I'm glad the kids weren't w/ you at least! How scary! That's great they're covering new seats w/out a fight, that makes things go way easier. I think the severity of the crash helps w/ that sometimes. We had a minor crash last year and I had to fight a little to get new seats.

The Monterey is pretty wide, wider than the Parkway so I'd just stick w/ that. Maybe order it from a place that has an easy return policy, I think hipmonkey has a $5 return policy (not totally sure on that). Or is there a place close to you that you can get these seats, I don't remember. We're getting the XTSLs for the girls at tax time. I'm not sure we need the 45# rfing limit for them, but might as well just in case. Evan might need it if he continues to want to be rfing. :)

momofthecloth

Hi Jen! Thank you for answering! I talked to Angie...we discussed if 9yo will have trouble seeing where to buckle with those armrests on the SG (darn, I wish they had left those off! That's what I liked about the PW!) But Angie didn't think there was any other choice for the narrowness.

momofthecloth

New question....

I am dealing with a real hard-nose ins. adjuster who is giving me grief about my almost $900 receipt for 3 Radians and 1 Britax. GRRRRRRRR!!!! Can I just scream to you guys????????

I think this adjuster is trying to stick it to me because they have to replace expensive seats. She wanted to know the AGES of my kids (6, 4, 2 & 2) that the seats will be for and they are BALKING about the 6 and 4 yo's in the 5 pt. harnesses!! Believe me, I'd love to throw a little KDMF info their way...think some representatives there would like to help me battle? UGH I am so mad!!

And since when does an ins. co. determine what seats my kids ride in??? Who's the parent here? It boils down to $30 (probably backless) booster seats would "suffice" and that's what they're trying to pay for. That's not gonna fly. Next it'll be the 2yo twins could have $50 convertibles that face forward - this could be a slippery slope for sure! What the heck happened to replacing EQUAL VALUE carseats?! :hitselfonhead:

I need (calm!) advice on dealing with this woman. She told me it doesn't matter what seats were in the wreck, what matters is what they determine the RIGHT seats to be for my kids, and that's what they'll pay for. She didn't even know Radian was a brand. :doh:

I have (wrecked) 80s, but ordered XTSL's - on sale so they came to the same $$ as new 80s....what do I do if they have a hissy about the fact they aren't the *exact* same model?

Pixels

The insurance company needs to make you whole. They need to replace your property which was destroyed by their insured. They do not get to tell you what your children should be riding in. They only get to reimburse you for the damages that were caused by their insured.

momofthecloth

The insurance company needs to make you whole. They need to replace your property which was destroyed by their insured. They do not get to tell you what your children should be riding in. They only get to reimburse you for the damages that were caused by their insured.

Oh I agree 100%...I'm just not sure how to proceed if this if the adjuster keeps being a fill-in-the-blank about it. ?? It's not like I want to involve a lawyer over a few hundred dollars...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It's not that hard, the hard part is staying calm, lol. You simply explain my 6yo (or whoever) weighs this much. This seat goes to this amount of weight, so they are in the proper seat. (Plus, you're in a space crunch too so not any old seat will work as far as space and lap/shoulder belts.) I am not the one who crashed my van w/ my kids' seats in them, your client is and I want my carseats replaced w/ what I had so that the next time one of your idiotic insureds crashes my van they'll still be safe. O.K. so maybe leave that last part out, but something along those lines. Do they need to talk to a tech? Do you still have my #? I had a little fight on my hands when I had to get ours replaced but once they agreed to replace them that was the easy part. I just told them what we had before and they looked it up online and agreed to pay up to that amount for the seats.

I have to laugh when I'm driving sometimes thinking about the person who hits me! lol We're at about $725 right now in seats in my van and that's b/c Ilana is in her Avenue and not her Britax. It'll be even more when we get 2 new Radian XTSLs at tax time. ;)

L

LuciaBella

I'm so glad your kids weren't in the car. My (parked) car was hit back in February by my derelict (what do you mean 15 ft wasn't enough room to get out so you had to smash my car?!) neighbor who didn't have any insurance. I had 3 car seats and I have Farmers. Supposedly, even though I have uninsured motorist coverage, that doesn't include replacement of anything that was inside the car that was damaged (car seats!!!)
So, I was on my own for buying new ones. We are STILL trying to get my neighbor to pay me back for the deductible and rental car...grrrr.

Good luck, I have a very strict insurance company but hopefully yours will work out ok.

momofthecloth

Spoke with her supervisor today to complain about the rudeness and ask why the insurance company thought they had the right to choose my kids' carseats...it went "okay". They are insisting an adjuster come to my home to pick up the carseats "for salvage" before they will cut me a check - helloooo, these are the only seats I have for my kids to ride in, and the new seats are backordered! Does anyone know when Radian is supposed to ship XTSL's?? Until then I'm out almost $900. :mad: I never did get a real answer for the bull this adjuster was trying to pull about determining IF the seats are the "proper" seats my kids should be riding in...I really think they are trying to stick it to me by forcing me to turn in the seats. If they were $30 cheapos or just one seat, it'd be a different story. :mad: Still burns me up.

So now...I have no choice but to surrender the seats? I was hoping to do something with the covers, which I think are of value? Or at least donate the seats to a tech to play with. They argued that they want the seats for salvage just like they do with a wrecked vehicle. Gah!!

Still need advice about the 80 vs. XTSL 'discrepancy' (how I expect them to see it, after all those funky head wings are noticeable!). From what I understand, the plain 80s are being discontinued....and I need to replace them with the XTSLs....riiiiiight? I got them on sale, so they're the same price, essentially.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It is fair for them to expect you to surrender the seats. Sometimes insurance companies let you keep covers and that's a bonus, but you're not entitled to your seats (or anything of value from the seats) AND replacement cost.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'd surrender them minus the covers and just act like it's no big deal. I've never surrendered seats though, but some make you do it.

No, the XT is a different beast of a seat. The same would the 80SL. Just look it up and print it out maybe that they're the same $$$.

Jennifer mom to my 7

elitecarseats.com is shipping radian xtsls. Mine is on a truck waiting to go out for delivery (I hope they just haven't updated that it is OUT for delivery.

mommy-medic

Yes, they can ask you to surrender the seats, however if thats what you are using now I would refuse to surrender them until your new seats arrive.

I was in an accident (T-boned by a texting 16 year old) and my sienna was totaled. My children were not in the car but I called her insurance company right away and explained that I am a CPST and my children ride in high-end car seats on a DAILY basis and that they WOULD BE replacing the seats. They had to let me talk to several people and I had to fax and email them quotes (found the most expensive Madison Boulevard and Madison Regent I could on ebay for comparrison). If you find the MOST expensive one you can, then purchase the least expensive (same seat) you can show them how much MORE they COULD have been having to pay you.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
I recently had to replace my Nautilus. It was installed in my sister's car and she was hit by a lady who wasn't paying attention (neither of them was hurt thankfully). The lady's insurance company tried to give me a hard time since it was unoccupied, but all I had to do was send them a copy of the letter from Graco stating that it had to be replaced. I had to surrender the crashed seat and fax them the receipt from the replacement before they would cut me a check. But they let me take whatever I wanted from the crashed Nautilus (I took the cover, harness straps, and buckles since it was unoccupied). I also asked about donating the seat to my local Safe Kids, but they needed proof that the seat was destroyed before they would cut me a check. (The insurance company was Travelers.)

momofthecloth

It's too bad Safe Kids can't issue some sort of letter guaranteeing the donated seats will never be used in a moving vehicle or something, b/c I can see the merit of donating the seat to an organization that helps us achieve safety - I mean, after all...aren't ins. co's concerned with safety? ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC