Would your child fit in a britax convertible at birth?...

Would your child fit?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • No.

Votes: 98 81.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • clicky box

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

emandbri

You can vote for more than one answer for multiple kids.

Benjamin would not have, he was slightly below the bottom slots on the old style snugride and was 7 lbs at birth. Elizabeth wouldn't have fit either here she is in the MA she was 7 lbs 9 oz at birth, this picture was taken she was a week old and back up to her birth weight.

summer%2006%20041.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about someone I know who wants to use roundabout for her twins who are due next week.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
There's no poll, but no, not even close. Ilana became even w/ the bottom slots at 10 mos, Olivia is just below them now at 9.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My oldest, definitely not. My second, not sure-- might have. My third, yes for sure. She was born 20.5 inches, with a 10 inch torso! :eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No. Both of my kids had 9" torsos at birth. At the time Britax alowed up to 1" below the slots, so Piper did fit by that rule, and only because it was there.

By two months both would likely have fit. Not sure, but around there, maybe a hair older.

Wendy

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Neither of my boys would have fit at birth. It wouldn't even have been marginal as neither were at the bottom slots until about 8 months old.

Maedze

No, no, and no. My kids range in average to large for torso size, and none of them was anywhere near fitting in a Britax until between 4 and 8 months.

emandbri

Twins are usually smaller than singletons.

Have you shared your concern? How has she responded?

I did. She said her daughter fit fine and the twins are expected to be around 7 lbs. She is in my LLL and I suggested if they don't fit to post to our yahoo group and see if moms have infant seats she can borrow for a bit. I know at least 2 have seats they are saving for next kiddos.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure on dd, my giant child, as I wasn't into measuring torso back then, lol. She might have been close..she was 21 inches, and mostly torso...if not at birth then certainly within a fwe weeks at most.
Ds? hahahahahahahahahahahahah/ He was 39 weeks to the day, but tiny, only 5.5 pounds, got down to 5 even, and only a very tiny 17 inches..he was the same size as my 6 week preemie granddaughter, lol.
No, but seriously, he was about a YEAR old before his shoulders became truly even with the bottom slots on his AOE, which is 10 inches, the same as a britax convertible. He turns 2 next month, and is STILL using the bottom slots...but, he is almost close to being even with the second slots....

I would be exceptionally concerned about newborn twins in roundabouts.....most..probably 98% of regular newborns wouldn't fit into a RA at birth, and twins, even at term, probably aren't going to be on the huge side of things, lol. When you say "due", do you mean "40 week due"? Here, it is common for 38 weeks to be your "due date" with twins, so that would concern me even more..

tiggercat

I think all 3 would have, but just barely. Megan was at or maybe a hair below at birth, and my boys were both as big or bigger than her. I didn't try either boy as newborns though.
ETA, my kids happen to be 10lbers at birth and long (22 1/4 to 22.5 inches) with exceptionally long bodies. Sam is well over the 2nd slots in his SS1 already at 3m old.

Shaunam

DS, no. DD, probably, though I didn't get a chance to try. She was 10 1/2 lbs and went straight into 3-6 month clothes because we couldn't snap up the 0-3 month sleepers (and that was in disposable not cloth!). This is a pic of her in a snugride at just 7 weeks.

abacus2

I put no and I don't know. Emily would not have for sure. Naomi and Rachael I'm not sure. This Naomi moved up to the middle slots of the Safeseat at 4 weeks I would have said that she would probably have fit, but she just moved into the Decathlon from the Safeseat. She was using the top slots on the Safeseat, but still clearly needs the bottom slots of the Decathlon.

canadiangie

I'm lucky if my kids fit in infant seats, lol.

There isn't a hope that my girls would have fit. One was just over 3 lbs, the other just over 5.

I'm hoping our next baby might be around the 7lb mark, and if at all possible can come home in a convertible of some sort.

all together ooky

Gwen, I'm not sure. Probably not, I think she was about a 1/2 inch below (although back in the day that would have been fine).

Nora, YES. But she was 10lbs and had a long torso.

Most newborns, NO.

Cryssy Jane

Odin didn't fit the MA until about 8 months. At 20 months he has a 13 inch torso. Savannah is almost 8 months and is still a little over an inch below the bottom slots. She has about an 8 inch torso. Maya fit well in the MA at 3 months and was about 1/2 inch over the bottom slots. Lilly didn't fit until around 10 months.

zactayaus

My latest kiddo, yes. He has had a super long torso since birth. My two before him, no way. They both have super short torso's. My oldest (who will be 19yo in Dec), I'm not sure but probably. He didn't fit in newborn clothes at birth and had to go right into size 3 months. He was wearing a 2t on his first b-day, so I'm pretty sure he would of.

SavsMom

Not a chance.
My daughter was 6lbs 8oz and 21" at birth - I didn't get a torso height, but I can say she was very proportionate in length. She didn't fit in the Marathon until she was about 7-8 months old.

Here is a pic of her (in the house) in her Marathon right after we got it - she was just shy of 4 months old...the straps are clearly too high....

25i6fbk.jpg
[/IMG]

abigaylebelle

My ds wasn't even with the bottom slots on his snugride at birth. He wasn't even with the bottom slots in his roundabout until he was about a year. At 2.5 he is still well below the second slots.

Pixels

Heck no. She was even with the bottom slots at 16 months.

ETA: DD was born at 39 weeks gestation, 8 pounds, 19.75 inches. Not a small baby. Not huge, but bigger than average.

Last edited:

rochelle

I tried them in the roundabout in my friend's car.

Both my boys came home from hospital in 3mth old clothes. They were 23" and mostly torso. They only start growing longer legs after 1yr old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC