Toyota commercial?

selinajean

I was watching tv last night....I looked up on a commercial break just in time to see part of a toyota (I'm pretty sure it was toyota) commercial. I don't think that it was for a specific model....they were selling the fact that toyotas stay on the roads for a long time. There was a man driving and they were pointing out that in 10 years his son may be driving that same car. They showed the boy just as I looked up. In my split-second glance it looked like the crotch buckle wasn't done up on his 5-pt harness! I really want to find this commercial so that I can watch it again and see if that's the case but can't find it.
Anyone know which ad I'm talking about?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Here you go:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhuXaANaSU"]YouTube- Toyota Car Wash TV Commercial[/ame]

You never actually see below his chest or so, but yeah, looks like the crotch buckle is probably not buckled. Straps could be a bit tighter. Looks like they might be coming from below his shoulders. Chest clip is at right height. Tether is going over removable headrest-- Toyota requires it be routed under. :rolleyes: 18 seconds is where I found the best shot showing the most of the car seat.

selinajean

Thanks!

And I see that Nicole somehow stole my exact thoughts a month before I had them and posted to the video thread.

Did anyone email Toyota about this? I know that they don't sell car seats but you'd think that they could figure out how to install it properly....according to their vehicle manual instructions at that And they should also know how to buckle a seat properly for a 20 second commercial. I'm shocked that the kid didn't say anything to them about it. James would have read me the riot act if I had ever forgot to buckle him in properly!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have seen kids COME INTO CHECKS buckled like that. Quite possible he doesn't know how it's supposed to go. :(

I was just thinking about writing Toyota but haven't. I might report to Safety Belt Safe, though. (They have a Media Report form.) I have seen the commercial for months now and knew there was a car seat in it but never looked closely... I'm thinking maybe I should call or write them.

I was rather shocked when I saw the tether strap going over the headrest. I mean, it's their own vehicle! How do they not make sure that it is at least put in properly?

mommycat

It's not as bad as it could be, but I would consider the chest clip too low, personally. I assume that since these things take ages and many takes to film, they probably got sick of buckling after breaks and assumed nobody would notice the straps going out to the sides. But yeah, come on, if they are going to do it, they should do it right.

Makes me think of a catalogue for Grand River Toys I got yeaterday, with this picture (which I'm going to assume has probably been discussed before):
335.jpg

selinajean

Wow! That grand river toys ad is so bad! :eek:

And yeah, for the Toyota commercial, I guess that it takes a long time to shoot. But if they really didn't care and were going on the basis that the car isn't really driving and it's just an ad.....they should have just forgot the seat altogether. Or better yet, let the kid drive. At least then it would be obvious that it's satirical and not to be taken seriously.

brightredmtn

I mean, it's their own vehicle! How do they not make sure that it is at least put in properly?

Cause Toyota had nothing to do with making the ad. It was an ad agency who hired a production company who hired a crew so we're three companies away from Toyota. Yeah Toyota should have had someone on the set though who know how to install the seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I was watching tv last night....I looked up on a commercial break just in time to see part of a toyota (I'm pretty sure it was toyota) commercial. I don't think that it was for a specific model....they were selling the fact that toyotas stay on the roads for a long time.

Given the recent news about Toyota, there are SO many bad jokes that could be made about that...

Cause Toyota had nothing to do with making the ad. It was an ad agency who hired a production company who hired a crew so we're three companies away from Toyota. Yeah Toyota should have had someone on the set though who know how to install the seat.

Toyota likely does hire ad agencies and production companies, but there is no way Toyota had "nothing to do" with making the ad. I'm sure there are people at Toyota who approve every concept before it's approved and filmed. That said, yes, it's very possible they didn't have anyone on-site to oversee the car seat installation, but I'm sure Toyota people screened and approved it before it aired. They probably didn't notice or didn't care. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed that either unless I was REALLY REALLY looking for it.

steph_s

There is no point in emailing Toyota, all of their production has stopped on all of their vehicles currently so anything you email them right now will not be answered.

I'm thinking Toyota isn't going to be known so well for their safety issues considering there are millions of their vehicles on the road that may or may not be able to stop when they need to posing a MAJOR safety risk to anyone who owns them and anyone who is on the road with them!

Also the vast majority of people who have no car seat knowledge aren't even going to notice it. I played the video for my friend 4 times after I asked her "What is wrong with this video other than it's Toyota" and she didn't even spot it. She has 5 children.

brightredmtn

Given the recent news about Toyota, there are SO many bad jokes that could be made about that...

Toyota likely does hire ad agencies and production companies, but there is no way Toyota had "nothing to do" with making the ad. I'm sure there are people at Toyota who approve every concept before it's approved and filmed. That said, yes, it's very possible they didn't have anyone on-site to oversee the car seat installation, but I'm sure Toyota people screened and approved it before it aired. They probably didn't notice or didn't care. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed that either unless I was REALLY REALLY looking for it.

I meant the physical production, filming kind of making. Nobody who worked for Toyota was the prop. master or mistress who didn't do the seat right.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There is no point in emailing Toyota, all of their production has stopped on all of their vehicles currently so anything you email them right now will not be answered.

They've only stopped production of 8 vehicles, not their whole line. But in any case, yeah, this issue probably isn't high on their priority list right now.

I meant the physical production, filming kind of making. Nobody who worked for Toyota was the prop. master or mistress who didn't do the seat right.

Oh, gotcha.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC