Help me figure this out?

hsjwmom

First off, sorry if this is kinda rambling...I've been thinking about this for a while but am terrible about getting my thoughts out concisely.

DD3 is getting close to outgrowing her RA rfing. I thought I'd be OK w/ ffing her in Dh's truck when she turned 2, but uh...no. She is a peanut, at 21 months she only weighs 22.6 lbs.

I really like the RA for ease of installation and the super easy harness adjuster. Only thing I don't like is that it sits up on a base. The truck sits up high enough that it is a pain getting dd into her seat. That will be a moot point, though, because we're planning to move her to the center. I'm concerned about how I'll get anything installed in the middle. It's a Dodge Ram crew cab with a lightweight locking latchplate in the middle. I have NO CLUE how to use it to install a seat. :eek:

Dh doesn't really care what I get, but he has mentioned that he likes the LATCH connectors on the RA and KF's base. I'm thinking that it is important to either have a rfing tether or ARB in the truck, right?

I really like the look of the MR, but the hook LATCH connectors and the lack of rf tether/ARB rule it out.

I like our TF well enough, but honestly, dd is swimming in it. It doesn't support her head really well when she sleeps because the sides are so far from her head. The buried adjuster is a pain, but that shouldn't be an issue with the TF ARB, right? Only other concern is the seat is a beast, lol. I need to see how it fits in a 3 across. The Ram is huge, though, and I don't think it would be a problem to fit anything short of a Regent between the older girls' boosters.

I'm afraid any Britax seats are out because of the base and lack of leg room. Same for Recaro. Too bad, because I really do love our RA and liked our MA.

Only other seat I can think of is a Radian. I'm afraid of the Radian. :eek: I've never seen one IRL, let alone tried to install one. I'm not sure how it would install with the seatbelt in the middle, but I guess if I get the XTSL, I could just leave her outboard and use LATCH. The crew cab on the Ram is huge, so I think the Radian would fit behind the passenger seat just fine.

There isn't too much of price difference between the TF ARB and Radian XTSL, not enough to sway me anyway. They each have their pros/cons. The higher rfing weight limit on the XTSL is attractive, but I wonder if I'll need that, yk?

So, any input? Am I being overly cautious in wanting a rfing tether or ARB in the truck? Anything else I'm not taking into consideration?

ADS

Pixels

Don't be scared of the lightweight locking latchplate. It's my favorite kind of way to install a seat. Just buckle, tighten, and done. As long as the latchplate doesn't slip, they are the easiest (IMO) way to install a carseat. If it does slip, a half twist to the male end will usually take care of it, or use a locking clip.

As for the higher weight limit on the XTSL, uh, no, you don't need that unless you really want her rear facing at 6 or 8 years old.

kaysmom

The only reason I may lean toward the True Fit over the Radian is that you said it would have to be outboard, and in some vehicles the Radian is SO reclined. That's my only thought I guess, I dont have much more to offer, sorry:eek:

hsjwmom

Thanks for getting through my novel of a post, lol. :eek:

So, it looks like I should just go ahead and get a TF ARB, huh? Hopefully dd will last in the RA until Learning Curve releases those new covers. :whistle:

hsjwmom

Too bad you're not closer to Houston! I'd love a chance to play with a RN. I confess, I would almost get a RN over the TFP because the RN has such purty covers. :D

Joyofbirth

I wouldn't worry too much about a 3-across in a Ram. My dad has one and we've done three across with a regent and 2 other carseat, not even boosters. I think you could do any 3 across in there. I personally would go ahead with a TFP. But I'm not overly impressed with RNs. I'm sure there's someone in your area with a RN you could try.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC