Woohoo! Short strap Radian 65 solution.

JaRylan

You'll never believe what just happened to me! My short strap Radian 65 in granite is being replaced with a coastal blue radian (won't have any granite in for another month or two). Only thing I'm wondering about is what the DOM is for the blue Radian since they are no longer making those covers. I asked Brad (Canadian rep) and he said he wouldnt' be able to find out since they are all boxed up. Then I asked him what I should do with my current seat once my replacement seat arrives..he said I could pitch it and keep the cover! It will be so nice to have an extra cover.

ADS

Dillipop

Could you keep the extra shell too and just buy new straps for it? Then you'd have 2 new seats...

JaRylan

There are 2 straps that are bolted at the hip and then go through the buckle inserts and chest clip pieces...so not one continuous loop like most car seat harnesses. I would be worried about installing that kind of thing myself, never mind trying to figure out where to order them from. What I was thinking of doing is trying to track down another cover or seeing if they sell covers separately and then give the short strap seat to my nephew. Or I could just make do with one cover and not be greedy (but oh man it would be so nice to have two covers for when there is a leaky bottom) give the seat to my nephew...he's only 2.5 years so would have a ways to go before the short straps became an issue.

LuvBug

hmmm I would have thought the harness was like the britax, not continuous but on clips. Ill have to read the manual again. I thought it was the adjuster that was too short though, is it the straps themself?

Wow interesting, I couldnt find anything about how the harness is attached to the radian. Bolting it would be a great way to keep parents from removing it and loosing it or washing it in the machine or soaking them. But it would mean the seat was unusable all together if something happened to the straps, like the dog ate them, or the kid at them, or they got frayed somehow. Youd have to replace the whole seat. I hope they have a good warantee!

Dillipop

So, I had a really long post that got lost in cyber space, so here it goes again.

The manual for the radian says not to remove the harness straps. Same thing with my marathon.

However, replacement straps are available for the marathon and most likely the radian, since a mom on here got longer straps when the radian was first released in the us and was able to easily replace the straps.

Replacement straps would be purchased from sunshine kids, as would a replacement cover. Only use replacement parts from the seat manufacturer.

I personally would either but replacement straps and have a second seat or give the seat to the nephew and let his mom deal with getting longer straps when they are needed.

Hth!

Starlight

Senior Community Member
SKJP doesn't offer replacement covers at this point in time. Trust me, I've asked. Time to get moving, SKJP!

Sounds like a great deal!

canadianmom2three

OMG---Patience pays off!!!!! You are soooo lucky, I am kicking myself so hard right now for returning that seat!! I could have squeezed him in it a bit longer but I was afraid if I hung onto it they wouldn't take it back. Great news for you though! :D

didymama

how did you know about the short straps. i have one that i think may have the same problem. dom 9/05 in granite.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
you will know you have short straps if you try out your 3 1/2 year old in it... you shoudl still have tons of slack in the belt but if you don't then i woudl call and ask about it. my dd is 4.5 years old and ont he top slots and the strap of slack still hangs WAY down to the floor boards of the car...

JaRylan

how did you know about the short straps. i have one that i think may have the same problem. dom 9/05 in granite.

When you phone into SKJP have all of your info ready - serial number, DOM and harness lot number. The harness lot number and it's DOM are on a little tag that is on the shoulder strap.

Think of all the people who are buying the seats for their rear-facing babies - 3 or 4 years down the road they are going to find the straps too short and end up with new seats!

It is the straps themselves that are too short - the metal clip (it has a name and I just heard it the other day) that the straps hook onto hits the back of the seat.

Once my new seat gets here I will look at the old seat and see if I can remove the straps in order to replace them.

LuvBug03 - that is a good point about what if the straps are damaged but the seat is fine, I'll be making another round of emails, lol. I was very surprised that they didn't just say that they would send out new straps.

Canadianmomo2three - I feel for you and I thank you! I was wondering about the short straps the first time Rylan sat in the seat and then I came on here and found your post.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC