Question ARB and RF tethering in side impact collisions

ZephyrBlue

I'm driving myself up a wall debating whether to use the TFP w/just the ARB or get a RF tethering seat for the baby. I know what the ARB does, but what I'm concerned with is the side to side movement in the event of a side impact collision and how much better a RF tether might stabilize the seat.

If you have an opinion, please weigh in :)

Last edited:
ADS

canadiangie

I think you're worried about lateral movement (side to side), not downward rotation (when the seat rotates down towards the floor in a front impact crash).

In terms of decreasing lateral movement, a tether probably provides a wee bit more stability, but an ARB seat also provides enhanced stability. :thumbsup:

I would pick the TF ARB to be honest. It provides the protection you want, but does so in a way that will not affect advanced airbags in anyway (if you have them.. now or down the road), and also allows for a nice upright rf install for down the road. The TF is just such a nice all around seat, with fewer install headaches, and a good price point.

(I write this assuming you're choosing between a SK seat and a TFP)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The infant seat crash tests I remember, it seems the movement in a side impact was very much like rebound. I'd think the ARB would actually do a pretty good job in a side impact. Wouldn't a side by side comparison be da bomb? We can dream...

ZephyrBlue

Angie, you're right, I am concerned about side to side movement. Baby brain strikes again :cool:

I can picture the physics of how a RF tether would help stabilize a seat sideways, but just can't figure out how the plastic ARB of the TFP would achieve the same thing?

Does the RF tether do more in terms of absorbing crash forces and spreading them throughout the car seat shell (specifically, the back of the restraint) than the ARB, since it's just at the base of the seat?

We do have a TFP and I love love love the seat. BUT, if the RF tether on a Britax convertible would make it even one part of one percent safer, I can give up the features of the TFP that make it so attractive to me. My kids are peanuts- we've never come close to the RF weight or height limits on a seat before- heck, my oldest is only 54lbs at 9.5, next DD will be 7 in Jan and is only 35lbs. DS is 4.5yo and 35lbs, as well. Both 6yo DD and 4yo DS could still fit RF in their Radians by weight and by height. So for us, the extra room RF of the TFP really isn't an issue (well, watch this little girl be a chunka munka and super tall now that I've said that, LOL!!!!) and a MA or BV would technically fit her for as long as I need it to. As much as I like the Radian (we have 2 XTs), I really don't care for it for an infant, so that's out.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah found it... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yV3gO0dftE&feature=related"]YouTube- NHTSA Crash Test of Graco Safety Seat Child Seat[/ame] Yeah, there will be some side movement with the TFP, but not as much, as it's not up on a base, I think. And it really seems the worst of the movement is the rebound....

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah, there will be some side movement with the TFP, but not as much, as it's not up on a base, I think. And it really seems the worst of the movement is the rebound....

I agree, I think the ARB would give some stablization in a side impact collision.

Looking at your siggy, if she's 11wks old and likely to be petite, she may not fit in a Britax seat for awhile yet anyways?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I agree that the ARB on the TFP would likely increase stability in a SI to some degree. However, the combination of dual lower anchor attachments (MA/BV) with rf tether would probably provide the greatest stability in that type of crash assuming that the seat was installed tightly with LATCH.

ZephyrBlue

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Kecia, would you mind explaining the logic behind the LATCH and RF tether and side impact stability vs. seatbelt and RF tether? I'm really interested in hearing more about that!

Pixels

In Jools' video, you see how the belt slides sideways through the belt path, allowing the infant seat to roll over onto its side before it "rebounds" into the seat back? With independent LATCH connectors on each side instead of a single seatbelt/LATCH belt, the belt can't slide through the belt path, so there should be less rolling over of the seat.

ZephyrBlue

Melissa, thanks- that makes total sense. The Britax convertibles having separate LATCH straps is something I never thought of before, but can see how it could in fact be a safer option than the continuous belt.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In Jools' video, you see how the belt slides sideways through the belt path, allowing the infant seat to roll over onto its side before it "rebounds" into the seat back? With independent LATCH connectors on each side instead of a single seatbelt/LATCH belt, the belt can't slide through the belt path, so there should be less rolling over of the seat.

They've found that the dual LATCH straps produces an effect that's very similar to rigid LATCH.

hsjwmom

I wonder if that may be why Learning Curve requires the lockoffs to be used, even if your seatbelts lock or if you're using LATCH.

ZephyrBlue

I wonder if that may be why Learning Curve requires the lockoffs to be used, even if your seatbelts lock or if you're using LATCH.

Good point. Although, I've found that the lock offs on the TF don't hold the belt 100% secure like the ones on the Britax convertibles that I've had.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC