Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

How many kids should a seat go through before it is retired?

I have a head cold so that probably reads as bad as it sounds in my head. I have a Graco infant car seat (I think the Snugride, green and blue plaid) DOM is 05/02. The seat was used for my son and then a friend's daughter. My cousin is expecting for May and I was wondering if I should lend the seat to her.

Does it matter how many kids use a seat? Do you just go by DOM?

Thanks,
    Jacqui ~ Rylan ~ 08.13.02 ~ 57.2lbs on 9/26/08 ~ Radian 65
    Join Starlight's Book Club, read your manuals! Car seats are cheaper than caskets & you can use them more than once. How much did your wedding cost? How long did it last? Does your child's safety seem more affordable now?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: How many kids should a seat go through before it is retired?

Yeah, just six years from DOM is the rule...and of course no broken parts, check for recalls, and make sure you have the manual (www.gracobaby.com has them all listed for download if you need one)

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

AS long as you have all the parts, as Julie mentioned, it should be fine.

Your cousin's baby will probably be the last to use the seat, though, since it will expire in 5/08. That would be my guess, at least.

I think it depends on how well its taken care of, plus the DOM. I have seen so many seats that are just filthy, mold, dirt, twisted straps. And when I tell people that you can take the seat apart and wash it they look at me like I just given them a revelation.

Thanks everyone. If she decides that she wants to use the seat then I will order a new harness for it so we won't have to wonder if the straps were ever washed. It's in really good shape, manual and locking clip are still on the back in their holders.
    Jacqui ~ Rylan ~ 08.13.02 ~ 57.2lbs on 9/26/08 ~ Radian 65
    Join Starlight's Book Club, read your manuals! Car seats are cheaper than caskets & you can use them more than once. How much did your wedding cost? How long did it last? Does your child's safety seem more affordable now?