Volkswagon Golf GL and car seats

dragonfly8

My husband just bought (but I am not physically driving it yet) me a 1993 VW Golf GL, 4 doors to drive. I have 2 boys who are in car seats, my 20 month, 28lb son is RF in a True Fit and my 3.5 year old, 36lb son is FF in a a radian (it's a 48lber radian) right now in my Suburban. What will be my best option to install the seats in the Golf? Is it a big enough car that I'll be able to still use my TF rear facing? I also have a 100lb 9 year old son who will be sitting in the back seat with them...............also, does the 93 Golf have a latch? Or is that still too early. What about a tether bolt?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Whether or not it has a tether anchor will depend on if the owners prior to you had one put in or not. It didn't come from the factory with a tether anchor, but should have pre-drilled locations for them.

It will not have LATCH. LATCH didn't become required until Sept 2002 and while many 2001 and some 2000 model years have it, it wouldn't have even been thought of in 1993. ;)

If you have buckle stalks that are on metal cords, then it's important to point out that you cannot twist them to shorten them. I think that a ff'ing Radian in a VW golf of that era could be problematic due to not being able to twist the buckle stalks if you have long stalks made of the cables.

The TF should fit rf'ing unless the 1993 was much smaller than the Golf's that are around now.

Your best bet for installs may be to just give it a try and see what you find. :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
OP should first confirm that the Golf didn't require a "tether bar" in 1993. If it did--they is about a $800-$1000 expense to purchase to anchor to. At this point, that's approaching as much as the value of the vehicle itself. I can't remember the exact year of the switch--I think 1993 might've been the first year NOT requiring it, but I'm not 100% positive about that.

-Nicole.

smurf

My 2000 Golf had 3 tether anchors but no Latch anchors. I could fit 2 car seats in there but there was not a whole lot of room for anyone else.
I did have for awhile an Alpha Omega rear facing so I think you should be able to fit a RF True Fit, on the passenger side at least.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC