Radian seatbelt install in 2006 Civic? (originally posted to old thread Re: Can I fit three carseats in my Civic?)

U

Unregistered

What did I do wrong? I tried to do a seatbelt install of a radian in my 2006 honda civic and couldn't get it tight enough. The seat slid all over the place. The buckle stalk seemed to be too long.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If a buckle stalk is on webbing, you can twist it down up to 3 full (360 degree) turns to shorten it. If you are installing forward-facing it can also help to use the seat's recline sometimes.

3plus2isme

I know it's possible because one of our vehicles is an 06 civic and I get BEAUTIFUL seat belt installs in there. I don't even have to twist the belt stalk :thumbsup:

Place the seat in with the recline bar down (look underneath the seat if you don't know what I'm talking about.) Pull it slightly, slightly away from the seat back, I'm talking maybe 1.5"-2"...
I always pull as much of the cover off the top as I can. Pull the seat belt out and click in the buckle. Lock the belt by pulling it out all the way and it starts to ratchet back in. Pull with everything you have at the exact angle the belt is lying and sort of push it back up into the retractor. Also, when you're pulling push DOWN on the carseat NOT in to the seat back if that makes sense.

I know I'm not making a lot of sense... I wish I could come do it for you because I find it SOOO easy lol Once you "get it" you're going to find it simple as pie... I used to be SO intimidated by a radian seatbelt install!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I find it much easier to not lock the retractor until it is tight, and access the belt through the belt path in front to pull right next to the buckle when doing a FFing Radian install. :)

cryswilkins

When I put our Radian in my CRV with the seatbelt, I get in front of the seat and push the base of the seat back into the vehicle seat with my knees while pulling the seatbelt tight closest to the buckle. I don't lock the belt until I have it tight. I do have to twist my buckle stalk about 2 turns as well.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have done a seatbelt install in all three seating positions in my 2006 Civic, installing both RF and FF (obviously not at the same time! :p). I do need to twist the belt stalk in order to get a rock-solid installation, but it has been easy-peasy.

What is the specific issue you are running into?

U

Unregistered

I have done a seatbelt install in all three seating positions in my 2006 Civic, installing both RF and FF (obviously not at the same time! :p). I do need to twist the belt stalk in order to get a rock-solid installation, but it has been easy-peasy.

What is the specific issue you are running into?

The seat buckle stalk comes up too far such that male part of the seat belt rests at the corner of the radian seat belt path. Sorry, I wish I had a photo. I didn't try twisting the buckle stalk, I bet that would have fixed the problem.

Bummer! I ordered the radian by mail because it wasn't available locally and returned it. Oh well! Sounds like it's worth trying again.

U

Unregistered

Ok I tried again and I'm still not sure if it's OK, ff w/ seatbelt.

In the rear side seats I can get the radian tight enough that it is snug against the back of the honda seat and it doesn't slide forward and backward but if I grab the seat at the front (where the back of dds knees rest) and push sideways the front of the base (where dds knees are) of the seat will rotate an inch or two. Is that OK? Also, even at the tightest setting the tether strap doesn't prevent sideways and forward movement of the top of the seat back. If I push at the top of the radian seat near the near the headrest the back of the radian seat moves sideways a few inches.

The install feels completely different than my britax which doesn't budge an inch in any direction.

Center ff was a total disaster, no matter how tight I cinched the seat belt it rotated (w/above motion) 35 degrees and/or slipped forward and rotated even further.

I can get a seemingly better install RF in the center but I'm not sure what to attach the tether strap to. Is it OK if the radian back touches the driver seat back? What if the top of the radian seat back is under the top of the driver seat but touching it?

Suggestions? We have only one carseat tech in town and there is a long wait to see her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC