How to clean the harness???

Mom2FiveGirls

DD#4 got sick and threw up all in her car seat (nautilus) a little while ago. I got the cover off and its in the washing machine, but how do I clean the harness and the crotch strap? I know you aren't supposed to get them wet (or is it you aren't supposed to submerge them in water?), but they are already wet...is that ok?

ADS
U

Unregistered

I won't say this is the RIGHT answer, but we had one who got really really sick in her carseat once. I mean, REALLY sick - straps were completely soaked. I tried everything short of chemicals to get the smell out. No dice. I finally put them through the washing machine on gentle with baby laundry detergent, and then air dried them. I inspected them as well as I could with the naked eye afterward, and they looked exactly the same. No broken fibers or anything.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I won't say this is the RIGHT answer, but we had one who got really really sick in her carseat once. I mean, REALLY sick - straps were completely soaked. I tried everything short of chemicals to get the smell out. No dice. I finally put them through the washing machine on gentle with baby laundry detergent, and then air dried them. I inspected them as well as I could with the naked eye afterward, and they looked exactly the same. No broken fibers or anything.

Correct, wrong answer. Those straps needs to be thrown out and you need to buy more. Submerging them isn't great at all, not allowed, but doing it in a relatively violent washer with soap, even on gentle with baby, may have made the harnss brittle enough to not hold properly in a crash.

You can use a baby wipe, or a washcloth with a little drop of soap. Some vinegar can help with the smell as well. Otherwise if they're awful, contact Graco about buying a new set.

Wendy

Mom2FiveGirls

Thanks. I used a baby wipe and they look good. They smell just a little (if I stick them right up to my nose) so I'll try a little vinegar and see if that helps. I got a replacement set from Graco because I was having issues with the crotch buckle and I've still got the original set, so I can use those if I have to. I've haven't had any issues with the new set though, so I'd like to keep using those if at all possible.

Mom2FiveGirls

Its raining today :( Hopefully the weather will be nicer tomorrow. DH says he can't smell anything, so apparently its just me and my super sensitive nose again... I found the manual and it says spot clean only or replace, so I'm going to skip the vinegar unless I absolutely have to.

kattale

Okay - I have a question - if vinegar or harsh chemicals or laundry soap (or, in an earlier post, mosquito repellent or sunscreen) are so dangerous to the integrity of the strap, why is vomit (stomach acid) not considered a no-no as well? This is the first time I've ever heard to replace straps after vomiting - other posts talk about spot-cleaning, and I've always thought if soap or water could ruin a strap, surely stomach acid could too?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Vinegar is ok in small doses.

It's ok for the straps to get damp. And most times a kid vomits the straps don't get soaked, they get damp. If you wanted to use a dime sized dollop of gentle soap on a wet washcloth and did that over the entire strap, that'd be considered, IMO, spot cleaning. Putting them through a washing machine with an agitator and a bunch of soap can do damage.

Most times if the harness is SO absolutely soaked from vomit you're not going to be able to clean them without putting them int he wash anyway, and you'll likely replace them just because they stink to holy heck. So it's likely the stomach acid can hurt them, but in the amount it would take for enough stomach acid to saturate the harnesses you'd toss them anyway.

Whenever Piper threw up big time in the car (she's not a vomiter, but she was Mt. Vesuvius as a baby) if she was throwing up so so much in one go it'd go far. I had to be more worried about the backseat rather than her harness. It was the smaller amounts that ended up on her harness. And they got wiped down immediately. And if it was a lot and she was going to keep vomiting, I'd already pulled over after the first and was holding her out of her seat to finish the rest of it. So a stomach full of acid, completely undiluted, I think is rarer than you think.

Wendy

Maedze

I am not comfortable using vinegar to clean the harness in any amount. It's extremely acidic.

If warm water, a gentle baby soap and spot cleaning, with perhaps some airing out doesn't kill the smell, I'd take it as a sign that a new harness is in order.

Under no circumstances should a harness go in a washing machine.

Heatherlef

Ugh. My daughter is generally not a puker, but vomited all over on the way home last night, with no warning. The straps were soaked. I have a Graco MyRide 65. Tried wiping the harness down with chlorox wipes, to no avail. Used a toothbrush and vinegar and they are now drying. Contacted Graco, in the meantime, and replacement straps aren't available for the MyRide. They also said not to use the seat because vinegar is not recommended. They *generously* sent me a rebate for $40, on the purchase of a new seat. Entirely peeved.

MammaBear

Here's a question just for my own curiosity - will squirting them a couple times with some febreeze (I use it after the kids are sick at home on the carpet so I know the febreeze gets rid of the smell) damage them?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's a question just for my own curiosity - will squirting them a couple times with some febreeze (I use it after the kids are sick at home on the carpet so I know the febreeze gets rid of the smell) damage them?

If you'd squirt it in your child's eye, yes. That's a good way to gauge if it's mild enough to be used on the harness.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd probably call Graco before using a spray like that - a lot of organic-ey stuff comes complete with enzymes and such that make it work but could be damaging to the harness.

henrietta

Ugh. My daughter is generally not a puker, but vomited all over on the way home last night, with no warning. The straps were soaked. I have a Graco MyRide 65. Tried wiping the harness down with chlorox wipes, to no avail. Used a toothbrush and vinegar and they are now drying. Contacted Graco, in the meantime, and replacement straps aren't available for the MyRide. They also said not to use the seat because vinegar is not recommended. They *generously* sent me a rebate for $40, on the purchase of a new seat. Entirely peeved.

I would call back and request to speak to someone else. Ask up the chain until you can get someone to help you. I don't think that's acceptable at all. When I ruined a strap on a Britax seat, and called to order a replacement that turned out to not be available, they offered me a *very* discounted price on a brand new seat (any one that was in the warehouse right then, that would fit my needs). That was okay by me, b/c I'd had the seat a long time, so it was more than fair. However, if it had been a very new seat, I'd have wanted them to pay for more of it. Irreplaceable straps that you cannot get clean from vomit, for a seat that should last 6 years if cared for properly, is not okay w/me.

Heatherlef

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply; my alerts weren't on. I ended up telling Graco that it was unacceptable for a product marketed for babies and children is not fully washable/replaceable. They ended up having me cut and send the straps and cover and sent me a new seat. It killed me to cut the straps out. They were completely saturated; don't think sunshine would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC