Question 3 across backless booster??

trixenama

This is for a 2004 Dodge Neon.

I just bought the Radian80 for my 12 month old son (19#s and ERFing), it fit's perfectly in the center (latched). I was soooo happy because I was very slow to buy it for fear of it not fitting.

NOW my problem is... I have my 7 1/2 year old (82#) daughter in a Clek Olli, I just bought this last year. She loves it. But now with the Radian in center the Clek is unable to latch in and it doesn't allow the door to shut with the Olli sitting flat on the seat (and the seatbelt is inaccessible). I tried one of the extra Cosco boosters we bought last year, it allows the door to shut but the seatbelt is very hard to get too. I mean hard, I'm in near tears shoving my hands through to get her buckled.

I thought I should get a seatbelt extender, but DH brought up the fact that it will move where the shoulder belt would be.

Now I'm wondering if a different booster is available for 3 across seating. Or something that has arm rests that can be raised might work.??

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Why not use the seat belt for the Radian? Also, does the neon allow you to use latch in the center?

trixenama

I just haven't had time to play around with the Radian. It might seatbelt just as well, not sure. I think center latch is allowed, I better double check that tomorrow.

I don't think seatbelting it in will solve my problem though.

steph_s

You could get a narrower seat. Isn't the clek olli 17.5in wide? You could get a Turbo booster that is only 16in wide and see if that works. Something like the Monterey could work also because it's so narrow at the bottom and gets wider as it gets bigger. Then again that might become an issue when the radian is turned around ff in the future. My friend is able to get a Snug ride, radian, and turbo in her back seat so perhaps just a narrower seat would work.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
In a neon, I have done a snug ride, rear facing comfort sport, nautilus. All seat belts.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do not think an 82# child would be comfortable in a backless Turbo, unless she's super-tall and skinny.

The Neon does not allow center LATCH borrowing. And seatbelt extenders cannot be used with boosters.

OP, what's the third seat in the mix?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Have you tried putting it on the other side of the Radian? sometimes one side is just a little bigger than the other and it'll work better.

abacus2

If the Cosco fits when buckled, you could do what my DH and I do which is pull the booster out of it's usual position several inches to buckle and then shove child+seat back into proper position and make sure the lapbelt is properly tight.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Not incorrect - the Radian requires dedicated sets of lower LATCH anchors with standard 11 inch spacing and doesn't allow borrowing of outboard lower LATCH anchors for a center LATCH installation.

trixenama

I do not think an 82# child would be comfortable in a backless Turbo, unless she's super-tall and skinny.

The Neon does not allow center LATCH borrowing. And seatbelt extenders cannot be used with boosters.

OP, what's the third seat in the mix?

I don't have a 3rd seat I just need to seat an adult. My daughter is about 53" tall.

Have you tried putting it on the other side of the Radian? sometimes one side is just a little bigger than the other and it'll work better.

I'll try this tomorrow.

Not incorrect - the Radian requires dedicated sets of lower LATCH anchors with standard 11 inch spacing and doesn't allow borrowing of outboard lower LATCH anchors for a center LATCH installation.

uh... Huh?? I'm confused, I'm only latching in the Radian (so no borrowing, right?).

emandbri

I would check out the harmony booster, wal-mart just started carrying it. It is narrow and the design of it makes it easier to buckle when 3 in a row.

trixenama

Yeah, I got very worried and went to the manual right away. I can use the center latch as long as I don't use either outboard latch. I'm going to check out the Harmony next time I'm at Walmart.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC