Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

What to do with toddler in a bus?

We are going to NY soon and DH does not want to drive to Manhattan, he wants us to take the bus that leaves 10min from our house. We drove last time as I refused to take DD (then 14mo) unrestrained in a bus. She will be 2.5 when we go. I'm wondering if the busses ever have seat belts and if so could I use it with DD's Boulevard. Any other idea's for the bus drive, are there any travel vests that would be suitable for a toddler in a bus? We are in DC area so the trip would be 95 North for 4 hours and I do not want to go without a carseat, but I would be ok to FF her for the bus drive. I know busses are safer than cars but she is only 27lbs and 37" so I do not want her to be unrestrained. In city we will take the subway and walk

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: What to do with toddler in a bus?

Most buses do not have seatbelts (unless they are, like, Greyhound or other chartered buses, then some do, you have to call to find out.) Vests generally start much higher than your daughter's weight and one requires a tether, one requires it when used with lap belt only. There are add on vests for school buses, but they are not approved for public transportation.

However, really, buses are so safe that I don't see it as a huge need. Besides, think of what would happen to the one restrained child on the bus if it were to, say, roll-- she would be in danger from everyone around her becoming a projectile. It might be just as dangerous as being unrestrained (though it might not. But certainly very dangerous either way IF the bus were to roll. However, bus accidents just DO NOT HAPPEN that often.)

If you want her CONTAINED more than you really need her restrained-- you could use a carrier if she still fits in one, maybe even the backpack type that becomes a chair, or a stroller if they are allowed on the bus (often a small umbrella type would be allowed if there is room, and you can buckle her in to contain her that way.)

Think of this: EVERY time there is a bus accident, it is reported. When is the last time you read about one in that area? And, you can call if you want and ask if there has EVER been a bus accident on that route. The answer is probably "No" or "Not in 20 years"-- they are so infrequent.

I would feel completely safe taking my daughter on a ride on a bus for 4 hours at that age, assuming the company was reputable and the driver licenced properly, etc.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

So is she safer RF in the middle seat of our SUV or in the bus. I'm really worried it will be a terrible fight if she is not using a car seat. She is 2.5 and will not sit nicely unrestrained in her her seat for 4+ hours, she will be screaming, trying to run and will want to change the seat all the time. Will her ability to sit still (or not) affect how safe the bus is? I'm worried that even braking will make her fly especially is she is standing.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

She does need to sit still, because of the braking, etc. as you say. I've found that when allowed a stroller can really help with older kids who need more "containment" on public transportation (call and check because some transit authorities have rules that kids can't be in strollers on their buses and trains-- which I think is frankly stupid if there is room.)

But if she tries to run around, etc., yeah, it's not going to be feasible. She is still safer, crash-wise, on a bus than in the SUV, statistically speaking, but as far as having a pleasant journey driving might be better because you won't be worrying about her running away, falling down, etc. the whole time.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member

Statistically, she is MUCH safer in the bus than the car. Cars crash every day on just about every road in America. Buses don't crash near as often.
    Mama to Madison 1/12 Johnathon 11/14