Story in Parents magazine

4RunnerLover

I subscribe to this magazine. It usually has at some point a "it happened to my child" type story (short, just a paragraph or two) that warns parents about often overlooked dangers.

This month just happens to be the danger of putting infant carriers on shopping carts. Thankfully the child in the story wansn't seriously injured. It's good to know Parents is getting the word out about how dangerous this is.

The mother in the story even says she thought it was okay because of all the people she saw doing it. Honestly, I have done it in the past as well because I didn't know any better. But now that I've found this site, I'm all the wiser.

PS. I found a baby picture of me in a shopping cart (why my parents took a picture of this I will never know) and I wasn't in a carrier but my mom had laid a cushy blanket down, left the seat part up (to cover holes) and laid me in it lengh wise. :thumbsup: Funny thing is after reading about how not to put carriers on the buggies I wondered what to do apart from wearing the baby or pushing a stroller and cart. I guess I should have just asked Mom!! I thought it was a good idea anyway, for younger babies.

ADS

jubgulia

I used to do that all the time with DS1! He would just sleep and I could get shopping done. I was great while it lasted! Ah, the joy of having only one small baby... sigh.

macmomma

I always put FDD (5 weeks old) in the big part of the shopping cart and the 2 yr old in the front part- and pull another empty cart behind me- yes, it is a pain but the only save way I found on how to do it. A couple of times I put FDS in a sling and pushed the 2 yr old but after kicking the baby with his feet while I pushed the cart I had to stop that:(

christineka

Yesterday I bought a lot at the store. When it wasn't bagged I could fit stuff under the car seat, next to ds in the cart's seat, and I put a lot on the bottom. When I got to check out a store employee brought me another cart. I just took both out to my van. (My 4 yo helped with one cart.) I can't see wandering around the store with two carts, but it worked to get out to my van. Putting the car seat in the basket is one thing I did right way back when in the dark ages. I read that warning in the manual.

Heather86

Way back before I knew better I did it when ds was a tiny tiny baby like less than 3 months after that I just wore him in a sling I'm really glad they are putting this stuff out there though it's amazing just how many people don't know :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC