Shell height of EFTA and MR65

Mommy0608

Anyone know which has a taller shell, or better yet, the actual interior shell height measurement for each of these seats? Thanks!

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't know the shell height of the MR offhand, but I bet it's listed in one of the reviews on the car seat blog. :)

Mommy0608

Ah, thanks! Didn't think to check there. I did a quick search on here and didn't see it, unless I missed something. I'll check the blog.

Spam

Did you find it? I'm curious too. I know the efta actual shell is shorter, but it's used to the top of the foam, so now I'm wondering.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't know the actual measurements, but in terms of fit, the MR65 has more shell room above the head than the EFTA based on trying my ds in the MR65 in store and how he fit in the EFTA last time he used it. From what I've seen kids have more growing room once the MR is installed in a car, so I'm guess the shell in actual numerical measurements is about 2.5 or 3" taller than the EFTA.

I expect about 3" more torso growing room in the MR compared to the EFTA.

Mommy0608

Wow, thanks, I didn't realize it was THAT much different. I thought the EFTA was pretty comparable to the Marathon, but that doesn't make sense if the My Ride is really 3" taller than the EFTA since I think the Marathon and My Ride are pretty close (I think, right?)

I'm just fantasizing about selling or trading my True Fit for a My Ride... but I doubt I'll actually do it. DH hates the True Fit and has a really hard time adjusting the harness tightness rear-facing even though I've showed him the tricks. I've heard the My Ride adjusts pretty easily rear-facing, plus it has the 40lb limit. Hmmmm. Guess I have some thinking to do. :whistle:

Jennifer mom to my 7

From what I have seen on the board, alot of it is child dependent. But, it does seem for the most part that the myride has more room rf than the efta and the marathon when installed in a vehicle.

StPaulMom

Wow, thanks, I didn't realize it was THAT much different. I thought the EFTA was pretty comparable to the Marathon, but that doesn't make sense if the My Ride is really 3" taller than the EFTA since I think the Marathon and My Ride are pretty close (I think, right?)

I'm just fantasizing about selling or trading my True Fit for a My Ride... but I doubt I'll actually do it. DH hates the True Fit and has a really hard time adjusting the harness tightness rear-facing even though I've showed him the tricks. I've heard the My Ride adjusts pretty easily rear-facing, plus it has the 40lb limit. Hmmmm. Guess I have some thinking to do. :whistle:
If his issue is the harness adjustment, then I suggest just leaving the harness tight and not loosening and re-tightening it for every entry/exit. We do this with our TrueFit (and all of our other seats, since I hate adjusting each time). With the TF, the shoulder straps are connected so they tighten and loosen together instead of independently. To use this, I pull one strap so that it's really loose and get the first arm in (arm closest to you works best), then reach down to the lower part of the 2nd shoulder strap and pull it so it loosens up enough to get the 2nd arm in. Then buckle.
I've used both and I prefer the TF over the MR. Plus, the TF will almost certainly last you longer in the long run :)

Mommy0608

Thanks everyone. Guess I need to go play with all the seats at BRU and see how he fits in them. Of course, they're always different in my van with the obnoxiously steep stow-n-go seats. :rolleyes: Or maybe we can have another car seat playdate. Oh, Andrea..... :whistle: ;)

It's strange that the My Ride measures shorter than the Marathon, yet some kids seem to have more space in the My Ride. Interesting. Guess it's one of those phantom seats, huh?

I had an EFTA before and I really liked it, but the knobs just weren't compatible with the Civic. I got rid of it before we got the van so I have no idea how it would work with these seats. Eh, the more I think about it, I don't want to replace the TF with another 35lb RF seat with a shorter shell and lower harness height. DH will just have to deal (unless I fall in love with the My Ride... DS might benefit from an extra 5lbs RF, but then I'd really kick myself if he outgrows it by height before 35lbs).

Don't mind me, I'm just rambling.

NannyMom

I don't see how it can be a 3 inch difference. I measured the MR at 24 inches. That means the EFTA would be 21 inches :confused: No way. Sofi still fits well in the EFTA, similarly to the MR I think.

Let me get outta my jammies and I'll go measure the EFTA ;)

ETA: According to my measurements, the EFTA is 23.5 inches, and the MR is 24 inches. (you also just made me realize Sofi only has 2.5 inches above her head in the EFTA :eek: Thanks alot :p)

Last edited:

Mommy2Marcus

I would say that Marcus has a hair more room RF in the MR than the EFTA. However their really is not that much of a difference. At least not in my car. Here is a picture of Marcus in both. He has about the same height in both. He has a 14 inch torso & is 22 inches from floor to top of his head. Which is the same as he was at 2 1/2 in the EFTA pictures. Here they are.
MR at 3 years old:
001-13.jpg

EFTA @ 2 1/2:
014-6.jpg

Again he is about the same size in both of these pictures.

Mommy0608

Thanks for the measurements and pictures. :thumbsup:

I can't make up my mind... not sure if he'll need the extra 3" of shell height in the TF or 5lbs in the MR. If only I had an extra $150 laying around, then I could just get it and keep the TF. :p

Anyway, thanks everyone. :)

Pixels

Wait until he actually gets close to outgrowing your current seats, and at that point decide if weight or height is what you need?

Mommy0608

The only reason I'm considering a different seat in the first place is that DH hates the True Fit. He complains every single time he puts DS in it and isn't confident that he can tighten it enough (he always wants me to check... usually it's okay, but not always). He understands the importance and I showed him the tricks for adjusting it from the back but for some reason it's really difficult for him. :shrug-shoulders: I was just thinking maybe I'd sell/trade the TF and get something easier to adjust. I'd just hate to ditch the TF and then find out that he needs more height room. :eek:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The only reason I'm considering a different seat in the first place is that DH hates the True Fit. He complains every single time he puts DS in it and isn't confident that he can tighten it enough (he always wants me to check... usually it's okay, but not always). He understands the importance and I showed him the tricks for adjusting it from the back but for some reason it's really difficult for him. :shrug-shoulders: I was just thinking maybe I'd sell/trade the TF and get something easier to adjust. I'd just hate to ditch the TF and then find out that he needs more height room. :eek:

It definitely doesn't have the height room of the TF, but chances are high it's going to get even skinny kids to 35lbs anyways.

The harness adjuster is a beautiful thing.... that and the cup holders is what's really making me consider it even if there is the slight possibility dd could fit the EFTA until she's in a booster...

In fact if I could have her in a Nautilus in each vehicle, and if dh didn't care about # of seats we bought... I'd have ds in a MR in each vehicle and then a Nautilus when he was ff'ing and had outgrown the MR. I love the harness adjusters and buckle mechanism on those seats that much. :p

Spam

If it would make life easier on your dh and you of course then I'd swap/sell for a MR. The adjuster is a ton easier and the cupholders are just awesome! I'm thinking I might use 20% off coupon at brus and get one, then deal with the aftermath later and figure out what seat to move along.

Mommy0608

It definitely doesn't have the height room of the TF, but chances are high it's going to get even skinny kids to 35lbs anyways.

The harness adjuster is a beautiful thing.... that and the cup holders is what's really making me consider it even if there is the slight possibility dd could fit the EFTA until she's in a booster...

In fact if I could have her in a Nautilus in each vehicle, and if dh didn't care about # of seats we bought... I'd have ds in a MR in each vehicle and then a Nautilus when he was ff'ing and had outgrown the MR. I love the harness adjusters and buckle mechanism on those seats that much. :p

My DD is one who wouldn't make it to 35lbs RF in the My Ride. I sat her in one a long time ago and she was getting close to to outgrowing it by height. DS is stockier than she is, so maybe he'd make it to 35lbs. Hmmm.

If it would make life easier on your dh and you of course then I'd swap/sell for a MR. The adjuster is a ton easier and the cupholders are just awesome! I'm thinking I might use 20% off coupon at brus and get one, then deal with the aftermath later and figure out what seat to move along.

Yeah, I have a 20% off coupon that I'm holding onto as well. I really don't like the BRU cover though. :( The other problem I have is that now my TF tether hook is damaged (AGAIN!! :mad:) so I might have trouble selling it. Maybe I could sell the Safe Seat (currently on loan to a friend who is still pregnant, so I can't sell it for a while) and the AO and then keep the True Fit. :whistle:

romanoma

will learning curve replace the damaged tether hook?

I would definitely get a MR if your DH hates the TF so much. If your DS is stocky, then chances are he will need the weight before he hits that height max. real stocky kids will reach 35lbs by/around 2yo!

My DS is tall/skinny and I think of average torso height. I tried him in the MR this summer and I think he had about 1.5-2 inches over his head. I wouldn't have bought the seat for him at that age, but if we already had it I would certainly keep using it. He was a little over 3 yo when in it.

I think for a stocky kid I'd get a MR anyway, plus add your DHs frustration, that just seals the deal.

Mommy0608

The tether hook itself is not removable. The company replaced the whole seat for me a few weeks ago, but my original was damaged when I bought it (or so I thought). This new one seems to have mysteriously damaged itself. It was fine when I got it, but now it's not and I know the seat was not mistreated in any way. It's driving me crazy not knowing what happened to cause the damage.

DS is stockier, but he's thinning out. At his 15 month appointment he was 26lbs (about 65-70th percentile) but 90-something percentile for height. He used to be 97th percentile for both weight AND height, but he's been going down the chart for weight since he became mobile.

NannyMom

The tether hook itself is not removable. The company replaced the whole seat for me a few weeks ago, but my original was damaged when I bought it (or so I thought). This new one seems to have mysteriously damaged itself. It was fine when I got it, but now it's not and I know the seat was not mistreated in any way. It's driving me crazy not knowing what happened to cause the damage.

DS is stockier, but he's thinning out. At his 15 month appointment he was 26lbs (about 65-70th percentile) but 90-something percentile for height. He used to be 97th percentile for both weight AND height, but he's been going down the chart for weight since he became mobile.

Did you unhook the tether from the back of the seat? I looked at mine the other day, and it was fine. I tried to unhook it, and it didn't want to come off :confused: I tried twisting it a bit inside the shell, and that seemed like a bad idea that wasn't working. It was starting to mess up the metal of the hook.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC