1980 Car Seat Perfomance Report

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
classicseats sent this to me earlier, and it really was a very interesting read. We think of seats from the '70s as being so rudimentary compared to today's seats, but after reading about some of those crashes, it's amazing what a great job they (often) did.

The other interesting thing is that so many of the concepts we hold true today were known back then, too. It's not so much that our knowledge has advanced as much as our implementation of what we know.

Also interesting that the report calls for testing in actual cars and a side-impact standard. Thirty years later and we're inching toward that. :rolleyes:

The other--timeless--thing that really stands out is the reality that the outcomes of crashes are often surprisingly arbitrary.

Child death is mentioned, as well as some graphic (though clinical) descriptions of injuries. Parts of it made me sad. But that's the reality of why we we're involved in injury prevention.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
What a great study. I am amazed at the instances where the child was not even harnessed in the RF seats (in the front no less) and was not injured or ejected from the seat. I'm only half way through the article - got to get back to reading!

swtgi1982

Wow, it says only six of the sixteen seats were used properly! I guess it goes to show, that times really have not changed when it goes to proper usage of seats! I feel parents should be required when pregnant to take a class (be it very basic) on proper use of child restraints. Maybe it should be part of the child birth classes offered.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
What a great study. I am amazed at the instances where the child was not even harnessed in the RF seats (in the front no less) and was not injured or ejected from the seat. I'm only half way through the article - got to get back to reading!

Yeah, I was amazed by that, too.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's a really big file. Give it a minute to load, and don't try to click through too fast. See if that works.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If you can't get it to work, maybe I can email you the file.

I updated my Acrobat Reader and was able to access the file with no problem.

Thanks again for sharing this. It's amazing to see how well the child restraints worked, for the most part - even considering the gross misuse in most cases.

And wow, go GM Love seats! :thumbsup:

swtgi1982

The rear facing one where the child was not even buckled in but still unharmed, has got to say something for support for ERFing (even though the technology there is way outdated today!)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The rear facing one where the child was not even buckled in but still unharmed, has got to say something for support for ERFing (even though the technology there is way outdated today!)

IIRC (and I might not be), I think there were TWO instances where a kid was unharnessed rear-facing (I think both in the front seat) and unharmed.

It's also interesting how the dashboard really did seem to be beneficial in keeping the seats in place. Another example of how advances in adult safety can result in a reduction in child safety. (I'm not bemoaning airbags--just saying.) It also makes a good case for being able to brace seats in the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC