Best deal on a kid's camera?

Holly

I want to get a Kids camera for my kids to share but I don't want to pay a fortune for one. I'm not great at finding deals on my own, does anyone know off hand the best deal on one of these? I didn't happen to see one in the Black Friday Ads, but maybe I missed it.

I saw the Vtech kiddizoom camera for $40 at Target today, is that the best price? Is the Kiddizoom plus a lot better than the regular one?
What about Fisher Price?
I do know that I want it to be a kids camera, I think they will be a lot easier for my kids and I wont be as scared of them dropping them or whatever.

Also, I found this one, it's the Discovery Kids brand, it will be $28 on Black Friday (though it's only $30 now). But I haven't heard of that one, anyone know if it's good?

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/x6.aspx?CatNum=683-2063

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
That camera will be $25 at kohls friday.....i was plannign to get one. Also, kohls is giving out $10 cards with every $50 purchase, which can sweeten the deal even more if they have more stuff you want.

Holly

That camera will be $25 at kohls friday.....i was plannign to get one. Also, kohls is giving out $10 cards with every $50 purchase, which can sweeten the deal even more if they have more stuff you want.

The discovery kids camera or the vtech camera?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes, the Kiddizoom Plus is that much better than the Kiddizoom. The Kiddizoom is actually just 0.3 mega-pixels. They advertise 2.0 Mp but that is interpolated, meaning their software blows up the photo to 2.0 Mp which is NOT the same as taking the pic at 2.0 Mp, it's basically just like digitally zooming it in which is taking a crap quality photo and making it crappier but bigger. So, the KZ+ takes pics at 1600x1200 (2.0 Mp) vs the KZ at 640x480 (0.3 MP).

The Kidizoom Plus also has much more internal memory (256 MB vs 16 MB) and the KZ+ has a zoom feature (it's only digital zoom) that lets the kids practice with zooming in and out, the KZ does not have zoom.

That Discovery camera you linked to is also 0.3 Mp (640x480). I wouldn't spend my money on a camera with that low of a resolution, even if it just for kids. 640x480 is the size I use to post pics here in a thread, it's not worthy of printing out and kids love when a creation gets printed out.

3plus2isme

I know it's not a kiddie camera I'm going to suggest (and if you have your heart set on one, I'm sorry!) but really .. my advice?? Don't get a kiddie camera! You can buy a cheap digi for the same price and trust me the pics will be a LOT better! We had 2 different ones and they were horrible... never developed the pics, ever.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I know it's not a kiddie camera I'm going to suggest (and if you have your heart set on one, I'm sorry!) but really .. my advice?? Don't get a kiddie camera! You can buy a cheap digi for the same price and trust me the pics will be a LOT better! We had 2 different ones and they were horrible... never developed the pics, ever.
That's true, but it depends on the age of the child. The kiddie cameras are drop-resistant, have a large chunky hold, have a DUAL viewfinder (at least the KZ series does). Tell me what 3 year old you know that can easily use a singe viewfinder camera? Not many. At that age they can't grasp the concept of looking through the eyepiece and closing the other eye. Most kids that age can't keep one eye closed and the other open without physically holding the other eye closed. And the kiddie cameras have large buttons that a kid can actually figure out, so easier for them to zoom, flip through the pics in playback mode, etc.

So, if you're going for solely good pics, then ya, get a real digital camera, even though the cheapies don't take what I would consider to be good pics (but sure, better than a kiddie camera). If your kid doesn't break it, and can easily use it without your help, then great. But, if your purpose is to get your child used to a camera and it's features and have them be able to do it all on their own (i.e. using a viewfinder, zooming, playing back pics, etc.) then a kiddie one WILL be easier for them to do this with. With a real digital or a kiddie cam, none of a 3 year olds pics are going to be "good". It really just depends on the experience you're looking for.

Of course this depends on the age of the kid. At some point, I'd skip the kiddie cam. But between 3-5 (with some kids as exceptions), a kiddie cam is no nonsense, no worry way to do it.

Holly

I know, everyone says not to get a kids camera but I want to. I like them for kids better than "real" cameras.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ya, dd already has a "real" camera, my old digi, but for ds, who drops and throws things a lot, I really need one of the "kids" ones if I want it to last more than 5 seconds.

AlishaNC82

Have you checked out the Argus Bean. (on Amazon) They run about $50 but are 5 MP cameras. They are built to be used outside and are drop and water resistant. This is what we decided to get our almost 3 yr old daughter for Christmas. The reviews seem really good for it.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sprout-Yellow-Digital-Camera-Battery/dp/B00198OWJM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258728406&sr=8-16"]Amazon.com: Argus Sprout Yellow Digital Camera Li-on Battery: Camera & Photo[/ame]

These Argus Sprouts are $14.99 each!!!!!! (Not sure what the difference is from the 'Beans')

MJB

I'm totally in the same boat!! My 3 1/2 yo dd is pretty good with her toys. I'm more inclined to spend the same $ on a real camera, but hubby says get one of the toy ones.

From the research I've found, all the toy ones take pretty crummy pics, but the KZ had the best overall the toys and reading about the plus ones, I'd go that route if I decide to buy toy.

The good thing about a digital, is you don't have to use the viewfinder. I hardly every use mine. I just use the viewback screen to actually take my picture. So having her do that until she can physically close one eye isn't a bid deal, IMO.

We haven't decided yet, but if you find any more info, I'd love to see it too :)
Thanks

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Amazon.com: Argus Sprout Yellow Digital Camera Li-on Battery: Camera & Photo

These Argus Sprouts are $14.99 each!!!!!! (Not sure what the difference is from the 'Beans')
They are $11.99 on Argus' web site. The Sprout's max resolution is 640x480, so 0.3 MP and there is no LCD to review pics (the little LCD screen is just for cryptic 2 character codes).It also has internal memory of 2MB and no slot for additional memory. That means that taking pics at 640x480, it can only hold 26 and that's it.

Also, the Sprout and the Bean series all use Li-Ion rechargeable batteries which means that if the battery dies, you have to plug the entire camera in (can't just charge the battery and have a spare Li-Ion) to charge it for SIX hours for the Sprout and FOUR hours for the 5MP Bean. This might work for some parents/kids, but I personally want to just be able to swap out for another set of AAs (we use rechargeable NiMH AA) and the kid is ready to go within a minute.

Holly

I have decided on the Vtech Kidizoom plus.
I'm still looking for the best price, I think I might have found it.
First on Amazon the blue one that I want is $55.75.
So I looked it up on Walmart to see if it's cheaper. The blue one is $59.99 and the pink one is $39.99.
What? Why is the pink one $20 cheaper?
I don't want the pink one! I want the blue one. GRR.
I'm going to show dh and see if he wants to go for it anyway, since thats such a huge price difference, plus we can get 10% off for an employee discount too.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My parents apparently picked up one for DD last week for $54.97 in Canada. It's rare something costs less here than it does there!

But, if I were you, I'd pick up the one at Wal-Mart soon, even if it's a bit higher priced than you want to pay (at least with DH's discount it's a little less than Amazon). Reason being, it's getting more difficult to find. I know that when TRU sold out here, they weren't getting anymore before X-mas. And once TRU sold out in store at the sale price, TRU online then sold out, Wal-mart then sold out at the regular price. And I see people are already putting them on eBay for stupid prices. If you find it elsewhere cheaper at a later date, you can return the first one, or if it goes on sale, get a price adjustment.

Holly

So should I get the pink one then since it's the cheapest?
I really want blue instead, I'm not sure why the pink one is cheaper and the blue one isn't.

ginny4

Kmart for their thanksgiving day sale (NOT BF actually THANKSGIVING) the disney pix micro camera's for 2 for 19.99. i have no idea how good they are tho.

NEVERMIND i just looked up about them on amazon & people said they are a waste.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So should I get the pink one then since it's the cheapest?
I really want blue instead, I'm not sure why the pink one is cheaper and the blue one isn't.
If this were me, and I really wanted blue, I'd get blue even if it cost more. But, I am weird like that (or crazy as some may call it). If I don't get the exact one I want, it truly nags on me and I get all anxious about it. So, if you're a normal person (unlike me! :D) you'd likely save the dough and get the pink one. The girls will love it and all the little boys I know love pink as well, especially because they don't often get pink clothing, toys, etc. Pink is the colour my parents bought for DD, although DD would have been happy with blue too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC