Complete Air vs Truefit Premier??

mamadelbosque

So, I stopped by my friends' house today and tried to get her radian 65 installed RF in my car (99 accord) without success - it always seemed loose, and super reclined which meant that the seat(s) infront would be all but unuseable :( So, the Radian is out :sniffle:

SO, my next choices are the complete air and truefit premier, or possibly a myride. My DS1 is RF in a triumph advance - he's just 26.5-27#s and 32+ months old, and fairly short (35.5-36"), but seems to have a long-ish torso (his heads just a couple inches from the top of the triumph), so I suspect he'll outgrow most (all?) seats by height before weight... DS2 is just 3.5 months old and ~15# not sure on length, he's in a babytrend flex loc atm. I really like that the premier has an ARB and conversely that the CA RF to 40# - not that I'm sure I'll need it, but it'd kinda be nice to have, yk?

Does anyone have anythoughts? What seat would you get (and why)? I lean towards the TFP, partially cause' for at least a little bit longer DS2 could use it w/o the headrest and then whichever one takes up the least space at a 40-45* angle (which I suspect would be the triumph...). Anyhow WWYD??

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Personally, I'd get a TFP. I played with a CA over the weekend and just was not impressed. Your oldest is a light weight. He probably won't make it to 40lbs before he starts school, so a TF would keep him RF for a long time yet.

Spam

I'd go with tfp. I'm also not impressed with the ca. Your oldest is light and will last a long time in the tfp. It has such a tall shell, I don't *think* anyone has outgrown it by height before weight.

steph_s

I would get the TFP also over the CA (not a huge fan of that seat).

To the poster who said they don't think anyone has outgrown the TFP in height before weight should be introduced to my child along with my friends step daughter! lol My friends dd is already out of this seat and is only 36lbs. My child wouldn't have lasted any longer in it.

arly1983

Now I am in the minority, LOL.

I did eventually get the CA over the premier. It wasn't a conscience choice but since I have ordered a permiere twice and sent it back twice and kept the CA now for about 4 weeks (a long stretch for me).

Its all in what the most important features and what your individual child prefers.

The premiere I wanted to like soooo bad. It had so many cool features but I couldn't get past two things, well, three actualy. 1st: I found the harness, even though the adjuster is reachable, to suck. It was a battle using even the tips (pulling the harness from the back and short tugs). Normally I don't adjust the harness that much which leads me to the reason why: #2 harness geometry (or fit) was bad on my S. I think it is the narrow shoulders but you would think with it fitting newborns (?) He could pop a shoulder out from under the harness in no time no mater how tight or where the chest clip was. #3 was comfort. I don't know why both the 9 month old and 3 yr old hated this seat so much. The 3 yr old complained immediently and constantly that it hurt her back. The 9 month old screamed his head off on ANY ride. This are not common complaints AT ALL. Most people seem to love this seat. Their kids as well. It just wasn't for us.

The CA, however, was not love at first sight. Far from it, actually. I had no desire at all to own the seat for the longest time. I would play with it in the store and wince at the overinflated price tag. But one desparate day looking for DS a seat in TRU I put him in it. He fell asleep. Combine that with a sale and coupon that had the price down to $184 I was taking it home. I installed it in the parking lot. (How many people keep a rolled up towel in their trunk? I claim its for messes :whistle: ) The install wasn't impressive at all. It wasn't hard but you definitely needed to know some tricks or it would be hard. (watch [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJe8u4PkKac"]this[/ame]) You are 99% of the time going to need poolnoodle/towel to install RFing. THe shell is just plastic. But then the scenera's shell is just plastic and it real world wrecks it seems to do well so maybe there is something to be said for flexable plastic. The cover is VERY padded, not plush, which turned out to be a positive for my sweaty kid.

I have very slowly and cautiously fallen in love with this seat. My little guy adores it and it fits him like a glove. The same straps that are too narrow for older kids are just perfect on him. (I plan to remedy this problem with cut socks on the harness later). The adjuster is awesome. The 40 lb limit is a plus. My 38 lb DD has rode RFing in it now 3-4 times. The headrest makes the haness height quick and simple to adjust and she declared it "good" and "fun". She had plenty of room. The shell plus headrest makes the CA nice and tall for RFing.

Overall, its a good seat. Not the seat to end all other seats but it fits a niche. Its a 40 lb RFing seat that is narrow and you can get a super upright install with it. It doesn't fit the smallest kids (myride does that) or the biggest (radian does that 45lb RFing limit). It has SIP air protect wings which are new technology that looks pretty neat in testing.

My advice: Try them out in person if you can. Target carries the regular truefit as well as the myride. TRU/BRU carries the complete aire.

But then I may be slightly biased because having this after almost any ride in the car is just priceless :love:

Picture946.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC