Rollover test

P

pwm88

The Honda Pilot has been "TBR" for the rollover test result for quite some time, wonder if there is some problem with it. Although it claim to be constructed based on Acura MDX, the slightly taller structure could be to its disadantage in rollover performance.
Hope the results are good as I am thinking of getting one soon (wonder when is the best time for price bargaining purpose ? end of Summer ?).:confused:

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Should be OK

The current rollover ratings are not actually a test. It is a fairly simple mathematical calculation based on vehicles parameters. The most likely reason it isn't rated is that the NHTSA is backlogged or hasn't received the measurements. Height is a factor in the numbers, but the track width is the key number. The Pilot has the same, wide 66" track width as Odyssey and MDX, so it should be among the better rated SUVs. Of course, Honda should have had stability control and side curtain airbags on an all new model, but maybe that will come next year...

The Pilot is still pretty popular. Depending where you live, you may not get much of a bargain for some time:-(

P

pwm88

Thanks Darren,
That's reassuring to hear about the Pilot (and appreciate your prompt reply!).
When I test-drive the Pilot, compared to Odyssey, the seat seems alittle higher, probably the ground clearance is higher ? Everytime I turned corners, I was alittle scare and would slow down. I was worried probably because the CRV received 3 stars only.
Is side curtain air-bag really good ? the new 2004 Sienna seems to have beaten the Odyssey flat with the new features including optional curtain air-bags. But of course it is the best time to grab great discounts with Odyssey also. I heard that the side-airbag can be a hazard especially if kids are also sitting at the 2nd row(which is why it is not recommended that toddler/baby sit next to the driver seat).
I used to have a 2002 Civic(with side air-bags) and one year later, the air-bag indicator began to occasionally showed up, the dealer can only reset it but the problem would come back again - this can be adding a lot of pressure on the driver if the airbag indicator starts showing up.
Regarding the vehicle stability thing(VSC), the car salesman told me the Pilot normally is on front wheel drive and during severe road condition, it would engaged 4 wheel drive which I think would be more "stable" than VSC. Let me know your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A few clarifications:

Side airbags are geat features, especially side curtains that cover all seating rows. Side airbags in newer vehicles are not considered a danger to children who are properly restrained in carseats or boosters. Also see:

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q61

The danger of a child sitting next to the driver is because of the frontal airbag and/or the dash. The risk of fatal injury for kids in the front seat is about 30% higher than those sitting in back, even without a frontal airbag, and over 40% if there is a frontal airbag.

I think your salesman is trying to confuse some related technologies.

First, there is FWD, which is standard front wheel drive found on most vehicles. The differential in most cars is such that if one of your front wheels spins during acceleration, all power goes to that wheel and you can be stuck even if the other wheel has traction.

All wheel drive and four wheel drive use improved mechanical differentials to send power to the rear wheels also, meaning that you now have to have one front AND one rear wheel spinning to get stuck. Some vehicles also have improved differentials between wheels such that any of the four wheels can get power even if all the others are spinning. These systems are great for getting through deep snow or very slick icy conditions.

Traction control can be added to any FWD, AWD or 4WD vehicle. This will use the antilock braking system to pulse the brakes on any spinning wheel. This can slow it down to regain traction and also cause more power to be sent to another wheel with traction. While traction control is generally not as good as a real set of locking or slip limiting mechanical differentials used in AWD or 4WD, it is better than FWD. This is probably what your salesman was talking about to try to confuse you.

Stability control is an added feature sometimes added in addition to traction control. It also uses the antilock braking system to pulse the brakes, but it does not do this for added traction during acceleration. Instead, it can sense wheel slip as you are losing control of your vehicle in a skid or spin. It will apply brakes to the appropriate wheel(s) and try to help you keep going straight to maintain control. Regardless of whether you have FWD, traction control, AWD or 4WD, stability control is an added bonus for safety.

I hope that answers some of your questions! I would prefer to have stability control on any vehicle, 4WD or not. On the other hand, a 4WD or AWD vehicle is really only needed if you have severe snow or ice in your area, and if they don't do an adequate job plowing. We have a nice AWD system on our Subaru Outback and it does great in Chicago winters. On the other hand, we've never had a problem or been stuck in any of our FWD cars, either.

Good luck!

P

pwm88

best bet

Thanks Darren for your information.
In that case, with VSC(vehicle stability control) and side curtain airbags, I think for mid-range price Van, Sienna 04 is a good bet. I can't think of any other Van equip with these. Also, traditionally, Sienna performed well in crash-test(and reliablity), so the 04 model should be good if not better also. If I am looking to buy a Van/SUV end of June, I think Sienna would be the best bet, unless there is something out there come close to it (safety, price and reliablity considerations).
Thanks.

mamamia

I have a 2004 Sienna!

and I love it. I was a bit concerned with the side curtain airbags, but now that I have read up and sat in all seating positions, I am glad we have them. They are located in places that I do not think would pose a risk to a child in a car seat. One DD is FF in the third row outboard position and there are several inches between her head and where the side curtain airbags are located. My other DD is RF in the captain's chair behind the driver. She also has several inches between her head and the side curtain airbag. We had a friend's 4 year old in a backless booster in the other 3rd row ourboard position and he was several inches away from the airbags as well. I have sat in all postions and would have to make an effort to get my head on the area where the airbag would deploy. I got the LE with package 7-stability and traction control. It handles very well. I heard very recently that Toyota was ranked number 1 in reliability again. Of course I am sure you can't go wrong with a Honda either. Happy shopping. Can't say the excitement level is the same when buying a minivan as compared to say a Volvo S80 though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC