Replacement sit for 29 month old

hotmama6507

DH was rear-ended the other night. Luckily he is perfectly fine and no one else was in the car with him. However DS extra seat (Cosco Scenera) was in the car. According to the instruction manual for the seat it must be replaced. We are dealing with the other drivers insurance company and are hopeful they will pick up the cost. Regardless though we will be replacing the seat and need to get a new one this weekend. I am looking for some help in choosing the "right" seat.

DS is 29 months old. He weighs approximately 29-29 lbs and is around 35 inches tall. Not sure of the exact weight and height since we haven't been to the doctor in a while.

In my car (primary car) he rides RF in an ETA and is very happy in the seat. I'd like him to continue RF as long as possible however DH says if we are buying a new seat for his car he is putting it FF ... this is still a hot discussion topic in our household. We do not want another Scenera because it's not as comfortable for DS and it won't last us as long as other seats since it only FF to 40lbs.

Would you recommend getting another ETA? Should I give up the fight regarding RF and just get a Nautilus?

ADS

armywife12

I would keep fighting for rear facing a bit longer. Why does he want to forward face? Is he aware of the benefits? I'd challenge him to find research saying there is no difference between the two or that forward facing is safer. If he finds such things, the TOT can go forward, which we know such research doesn't exist. if you do go forward, id go with the nautilus since it tends to fit smaller children well. If he agrees to rear facing, id go with another efta or a myride. We love our myride. The true fit makes a great seat too

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The MyRide is a cheaper seat that might work very well for him. :)

If he were my child, there would be no debate. He would be rear-facing, it is so much safer. Here are some links to share with your husband:

http://www.joelsjourney.org/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE"]YouTube- Rear facing is safer[/ame]

http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/safety-benefits/

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm

There is just no doubt. The science shows, children are safer rear-facing.

hotmama6507

I've read all the research and have been trying to convince DH for over a year now that RF is the safest. I think he doesn't want the weird looks from strangers and family members. Plus he thinks DS is squished and uncomfortable. He's gone along with it because he doesn't want to fight with me about it but since we need a new seat he thinks it's the perfect time to turn DS around. But I am going to stand firm and demand that he rides RF until the limits of the seat. Maybe if I let DH pick between another ETA and a MyRide he'll feel like he has some control over this.

Thank you for you responses.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Feel free to show him pics of my kids. They are not one bit uncomfortable! I have some of them sleeping if you want one. ;)

Joyofbirth

I should really take some pics of my forward-facers for times like this. They both sit just like the rfers around here. My 5 year-old is behind the drivers seat in a Regent and she is constantly putting her feet straight up the back of my seat. They also both cross their legs in their seats and my oldest has pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them more than once. Kids are definitely not uncomfortable. Maybe to appease him a bit you could get a Truefit or other seat with lots of leg room. Maybe he'll feel better. Also, maybe if you give him an age instead of saying the limit of the seat. Men like things a little more concrete and may just want to know that there really is an end in sight. So you may throw a number out there, whatever you're comfortable with.

firemomof3

The MyRide has more leg room vs the EFTA so if your DH thinks your DS is squished, the MyRide would be a better option.

romanoma

the radian is more expensive, but it gives tons of leg room for RFing. It also has a taller shell and taller top slots for RF and FF longer. Especially if you think the other insurance will pay for it, I'd look at the radian. What kind of a car does your DH drive? The radian can be a tricky install in some cars, but we may be able to give you some guidance there.

Otherwise, I agree, I'd get the Myride definitely!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC