I'm comparing the height/weight limits for Britax seats & the CDC growth charts ~uh~

Synchro246

Ok so I get out the CDC (male female) growth charts for ages 2-20 and I compare them to the britax seats I have and the ones I am considering getting.
The age ranges represent the 97th% and the 3rd% as the earliest and latest ages to generally reach the maximum weight/height for that seat.

Here are the results of this comparison:

Roundabout 40lb/40in limits
Weight: 3-7 years old
Height: 3-5 years old.

Weight: 3-7.25 years old
Height: 3-5.25 years old

So, 5 years is the theoretical max. :)confused: that seems old to me)

Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard 65lb/49in limits
Weight: 6.5-12.5 years old
Height: 6-9.5 years old

Weight: 6.25-12 years
Height: 5.75-9.75

So, theoretically I could bet on using this seat until my kid is 6!! and maybe even until he's 9.5????

Regent 80lb/53in limits
Weight: 8-14 years old
Height: 7-12 Years old

Weight: 7.5-14 years old
Height: 7-11.5 years old

(again) So This one I could bet on using until he's 7 (and possibly as long as 12!)

Is this at all realistic? Seems like it should be. . .but maybe I'm missing something.

I'll wait for some feedback before I go on with my rambling questions.

Last edited:
ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Re: I'm comparing the height/weight limits for Britax seats & the CDC growth charts ~

That seems about right.

The minimums for the Marathon might be a little off. I know some kids outgrow the MA (by height) by age 4.5 to 5, so the minimums might be a little off. It is also going to depend on leg length vs. torso height.

My friend's EXTREMELY leggy and quite tall son was able to use his Roundabout until he was 4.25 years old, even though he was in the 75%+ for height. His height was primarily in his legs, which made it easier to use for a lionger period than you would anticipate.

Overall, however, this sounds about right.

scatterbunny

Re: I'm comparing the height/weight limits for Britax seats & the CDC growth charts

You are assuming kids will make it to the actual stated height limits in these seats--which is not always the case. Kids who are short-torsoed may make it to the height limits and beyond, but evenly-proportioned or long-torsoed kids will almost always outgrow these seats by height sooner.

My dd is pretty evenly proportioned and got too tall for a Marathon at 46 inches tall, right around her 5th birthday. She has been in the 95th+ percentiles for height since 9 months old. She was about 48 pounds when she got too tall for the MA. Most kids only get to 40-50 pounds in a Marathon.

Synchro246

Ok. I was sorta wondering if there was something about the torso and leg legnth.

Scatterbunny- After she outgrew the marathon at 5yo what did you move her into? The parkway or a regent?

I was origionally planning on getting a regent when this new baby is born, but in looking at these theoretical limit/ages I wondered if it was really necessary and if I might be better off getting a more-versitile MA/BV/DC? and just moving older DS into a booster when he outgrows the MA/BV/DC . . .is there any possibility he could outgrow the MA/BV/DC before being mature enough for a booster?

Oh yeah, are the hightest height harness strap heigts different on the MA, BV, and DC?

:p told you it'd be rambley

scatterbunny

Re: I'm comparing the height/weight limits for Britax seats & the CDC growth charts

Scatterbunny- After she outgrew the marathon at 5yo what did you move her into? The parkway or a regent?

She's got a Fisher Price Futura (discontinued in 2001, harnesses to 60 pounds) and she's dead-even with the top slots on that, so that's what she's using in my van, but she's over the top slots in the same seat in other vehicles (funny how that can happen), so she uses a Parkway in those vehicles, or sometimes the Laptop.

But we're getting a Husky soon (older version of Regent), and couldn't be happier! We had one when dd was 2-4, but sold it and regretted it, so we're all excited to get one again.

is there any possibility he could outgrow the MA/BV/DC before being mature enough for a booster?

Yes, it's possible, depends on the kid's torso height and maturity. Hayley is definitely not ready at 5.5 to be in a booster full-time, but she's off the charts for height and in the 85th+ for weight. She's the same size as her 7yo friends. Thank goodness there's harnessing options for big kids!

Oh yeah, are the hightest height harness strap heigts different on the MA, BV, and DC?

I've heard the BV is lower than the MA and that the DC is higher than the MA, but have not actually tested this theory out myself.

Splash

Re:comparing the height/weight limits for Britax seats & the CDC growth charts ~uh~

The Boulevard has the lowest, the Decathlon has the highest. It's about an inch different total. I thought about it when replacing my Boulevards, but I really don't care when he outgrows it, I'll be buying a new one anyway.
A Marathon will almost always last children until booster age. However, there are exceptions. My friend Wendy's daughter outgrew it by height at 3.5! No where near ready for a booster!

skaterbabs

I think my daughter may be one of those off-the-charts kids who outgrows the MA early - but we basically moved her harness to the top slots on her 3rd birthday. If she makes it to 5 in the seat I'll be thrilled, but mildly surprised. Both of my boys were too tall for the seat when it was realeased, and Gregory was only 4.

OldieButGoodie

Re: I'm comparing the height/weight limits for Britax seats & the CDC growth charts ~

My kids would have both outgrown the Roundabout at about 2.5-3 years. My oldest outgrew the Marathon at just over 4 years by height, and she was only 42 pounds.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor

I agree it really depends on how the child carries their height. My girlse are built a lot differently. My oldest is petite height wise but more legs then torso. My youngest is very tall and in the 90% for height but again all legs.

Example my oldest was able to stay in her RA until she was 4 before she outgrow it height wise. My youngest will likely hit weight before height in the same seat.

Both girls are in MA's in my truck. Kaylee my oldest is 5 1/2yrs old and still fits her MA and will last in it at least until her 6th bday if not longer. My younger dd is on the 2nd from the top and still has growing room at 3 1/2yrs old.

My oldest is also in Regent in dh truck. She is only on the 2nd from the bottom slot with a lot of growing room. She will easily last in the Regent until it expires.

Synchro246

Re

So since it's plausable for my kid to outgrow one of the three 65lb seats before he's booster ready should I go ahdead with the regent now?
I was leaning towards the decathalon too. . .

Truethfully I'd like a plausable excuse to buy a decathalon, a regent, AND a marathon.:p Considering that we will be gettting a new car and keeping our Honda Civic I think I could justify two new seats for the new car/baby combo. A decathalon and a Regent in Sahara!!!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Re: Re

So since it's plausable for my kid to outgrow one of the three 65lb seats before he's booster ready should I go ahdead with the regent now?
I was leaning towards the decathalon too. . .

Truethfully I'd like a plausable excuse to buy a decathalon, a regent, AND a marathon.:p Considering that we will be gettting a new car and keeping our Honda Civic I think I could justify two new seats for the new car/baby combo. A decathalon and a Regent in Sahara!!!!

I might consider a Regent for your 23-month-old, but I would leave him where he is right now. When the new baby needs a convertible, I would put him/her into the Roundabout that you already have and keep your older child in the BV. I seriously doubt your older child will outgrow the BV anytime in the next 12 to 18 months. It is possible he could outgrow it by age 4, though.

Will the baby be in an infant seat or are you going to use convertibles from the beginning?

Maybe something like this will work:
CIVIC= Boy in Regent; Baby in RF Roundabout
NEW CAR= Boy in Decathlon; Baby in RF Boulevard

OR

NEW CAR= Boy in Regent; Baby in RF Boulevard

For either of those scenarios, however, you would have to buy two new seats; either a Regent and a Decathlon or two Regents.

If you have time, I would see what this new seat Recaro is realeasing is like. Perhaps that one would be a good option for you!!!! One or two of those would be nice!!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
The Regent can't be used RF, so perhaps a RF seat until she outgrows it. Our son is 4 years old and still has about another 6 months to a year (or more) left in his Marathon. He's just around 35lbs or else I'd turn him back around to RF.

Maria

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

My kids would have both outgrown the Roundabout at about 2.5-3 years. My oldest outgrew the Marathon at just over 4 years by height, and she was only 42 pounds.

It totally depends on the child. I would have NEVER guessed that my friend's son would have been able to fit in his Roundabout. He is a VERY tall child!! But, because he was (and still is) all legs, he was able to stay in his Roundabout until he was 4.25 years old!! A kid in the 75th percentile for height NORMALLY wouldn't be able to stay in the Roundabout until that age, but short-torsoed kids may be able to! :D

LuvBug

It all depends on where the child carries the height. Most kids dont make it to the weight limit and outgrow the top slots before the estimated height limit. I think they just guestimate a height to put, like maybe the average 65lbs child is 49"?
DS outgrew the roundabout in height a little after age 2, would have done so in weight a little after 3.5(he is 3.5 right now and hovering right under 40lbs clothed. Like 39.5 some days). He has pretty much outgrown the MA in height at 3.5 he is either right at or just above the top slots. Ever since a year old he has been at about 75% for weight and 90% for height. And he is all torso.
From what I have seen in person and read on the boards the average group kids outgrow the roundabout at 2-5, the marathon at 4-7. Some will last longer and some shorter.

You have britax already. She is 23mo? where are her shoulders in relation to the top slots of the roundabout? What about when you put the BV at its highest setting? That will help guestimate(I love this word lol!) how much growing room she has and what seat will fit best for a long time.

Synchro246

Re: Re

Will the baby be in an infant seat or are you going to use convertibles from the beginning?

Maybe something like this will work:
NEW CAR= Boy in Decathlon; Baby in RF Boulevard

OR

NEW CAR= Boy in Regent; Baby in RF Boulevard

I am planning on using convertables from the start (though a friend is giving me her graco-snug ride that I can use as our main seat for a little bit and as a spare seat after that. My first ds was 20lb at 4 months so I don't expect to use it for long.)

The civic will be a one child car. For the gov't crash test ratings on this car for it's year there is a "safety concern" for the rear passengers in side impact. It will be for when either me or dh want to take one kid somewhere.
The new car will be for everyone so it will need two seats.
My mom watches my older ds two days a week (right now she has the BV-- I should probably try swapping with her to see if it will fit RF in my civic) so she will need one seat, and maybe eventually two seats.

So total we will need four seats- three of which are right now for my 23 mo old DS.

Are there any cars the regent doesn't fit in? We are considering a Lincoln Town car/ Ford Crown vic OR an honda piolet/ridgeline OR an Hyundai Van or maybe an Honda van. . .
Anyone know off the tops of your heads?

Synchro246

You have britax already. She is 23mo? where are her shoulders in relation to the top slots of the roundabout? What about when you put the BV at its highest setting? That will help guestimate(I love this word lol!) how much growing room she has and what seat will fit best for a long time.

Let's see. . .In the RA his shoulders are about an inch below the top slots. In the BV I really don't know. My mom has that seat and I only see it twice a week. I could have her measure.

skaterbabs

Britax seats don't fit newborns well. This is a picture of my daughter at 3 months old in her Roundabout. As you can see, the straps are way above her shoulders.

RA1.jpg

In contrast, here she is in her infant seats. Much better (and safer) fit.

infant.jpg

LuvBug

Let's see. . .In the RA his shoulders are about an inch below the top slots. In the BV I really don't know. My mom has that seat and I only see it twice a week. I could have her measure.

If he grows average then for every year he should grow 1 torso inch, and would be out of the roundabout at 3, the BV around 5. That is only if he grows the average and not any more of any less(and we all know how kids can differ! but it will give you an idea).

Also being that you have the BV I wouldnt worry quite as much for SIP and if it is rearfacing then that is even better. I wouldnt personally hesitate to put 2 BVs in the civic rearfacing.

As for a new vehicle, post a seperate thread in car safety and we can help you decide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC