Any tips for car seat screamers?

BrookeSLP

3 month old Brynn is a complete car seat screamer. As soon as her fanny hits the seat, the bellowing starts. I have moved her to the MA, I have put 4.5 yo big sister right next to her for entertainment. She does not fall asleep when it is supposed to be nap time, so I can't just wait until she is tired to leave the house. My other two were screamers too, so I just didn't drive anywhere. That is no longer an option with two other children. Tonight, I was supposed to go get my hair cut. The drive is about 25 minutes from the house. I made it 10 minutes before I pulled over and canceled the appointment. Any suggestions from BTDT parents?

Thanks!

ADS

southpawboston

sorry for my ignorance, but what's a BTDT parent?

have you tried giving her some really soft toys (non-projectile hazards) to play with or look at? we found that DD1 liked looking at a black and white cartoon of a dog. we photocopied it out of the book and taped it to the headrest. it calmed her right down and she would stare at it for entire trips.

Dawn

Unfortunately some are just not happy in there seat for a while. Have you tired kids music or any music she likes that you listen to at home? Abigail like the Dixie Chicks,lol.
She may just be in that hold me stage and car rides are not fun. :(
I hope she outgrows it soon.

Simplysomething

My tip, make sure she's not uncomfortable...and then...try your best to ignore it. Eventually, she should...hopefully..outgrow it.

mominabigtruck

My youngest is also a screamer and my advice is to ignore it. Obviously she doesn't enjoy riding in the car and being confined, but now she's figured out that if she's loud enough for long enough that you will either pull over or go home. For me that's not an option, I'm not going to be pushed around by a little kid, my advice is to turn the radio up.

BrookeSLP

My youngest is also a screamer and my advice is to ignore it. Obviously she doesn't enjoy riding in the car and being confined, but now she's figured out that if she's loud enough for long enough that you will either pull over or go home. For me that's not an option, I'm not going to be pushed around by a little kid, my advice is to turn the radio up.

Gosh, she is just three months old, not old enough to push anyone around.

skaterbabs

Joyjoy was a screamer too - she didn't really get happy until she was independantly mobile. Luckily she usually fell asleep in the car, and I let her have bottles for trips over 20 minutes until she was 4 mos old or so. The boys (7 and 5 when she was born) would help amuse her. If she was too screamy and wouldn't settle, I would find a safe place and pull over and nurse her.

vamom

I don't know if this will help, but when my guy was little, no matter how well I planned he would fuss like he was hungry. I bought this bottle at toys r us that has a long straw so that the bottle can rest without being held, and then the nipple is at the end of the straw. DS loved to chew on it, play with it, and drink alittle milk. It was a real lifesaver in the car for us. Good luck, I know how stressful it can be.

didymama

If she was too screamy and wouldn't settle, I would find a safe place and pull over and nurse her.

i remember doing this numerous times with david. i just budgetted a little more time. i hate being late anyway.

mominabigtruck

Gosh, she is just three months old, not old enough to push anyone around.
Things like that are learned behavior and they don't learn it overnight. What are you going to do a year from now when she's still doing the same thing? I had a friend who's ds is the same age as my oldest ds and she was the same way, planned every little trip around him and to this day, 4.5 years later she's still doing the same thing because otherwise he has major meltdowns.

Morganthe

Things like that are learned behavior and they don't learn it overnight. What are you going to do a year from now when she's still doing the same thing? I had a friend who's ds is the same age as my oldest ds and she was the same way, planned every little trip around him and to this day, 4.5 years later she's still doing the same thing because otherwise he has major meltdowns.

That's a pretty harsh view. 1 year is a huge difference to a baby in growth, communication, and understanding. It's easier to work with a 15 month old than an infant.
At 4 1/2 years, obviously the mom isn't wanting to change anything with her son's behavior and has chosen to indulge him at her expense. I don't think either situation has anything to do with a 3 month old at an age where all experts now say you cannot spoil. She's uncomfortable and not happy -- the only method of communication she has is to scream.

My dd needed lots of nursing due to prematurity, extreme growth, and reflux. She was at least happy in the car, but at 4:50pm no matter how much or little she was in the car, she had enough of the carseat and would scream. At that time of day, she wanted ME, to be held, and nursed. Nothing else would suffice.

She absolutely terrified my inlaws on a ride back from an outing when she was about 10 weeks old. They were riding in the back seat on either side of her. I had a complete demon child -- Red face and full volume for an entire hour. No matter what comfort they offered, she ignored it and kept going. I had nursed her for 20 minutes before we left, but she had reached her limit of being on her own. She's grown out of it since, but communicating her needs has become easier with her maturity. In fact, the automatic 4:50pm time clock whistle evaporated almost overnight when she reached 13 1/2 months -- when she biologically turned 1 year old.

Since your 3 month has not liked car seats from the start, you might want to find out exactly why. Have you tried sitting next to her while someone else drives to determine if it's the separation from you that upsets her? The other could be that she doesn't like the car motion and is getting ill. The straps also might be pressing on her stomach in an area that makes her sick.
hth and I hope you find out something that can help. :)

Last edited:

BrookeSLP

I think that I am going to just chalk this up to you and I having very different parenting ideas and goals for our children and leave it alone.

BrookeSLP

Since your 3 month has not liked car seats from the start, you might want to find out exactly why. Have you tried sitting next to her while someone else drives to determine if it's the separation from you that upsets her? The other could be that she doesn't like the car motion and is getting ill. The straps also might be pressing on her stomach in an area that makes her sick.
hth and I hope you find out something that can help. :)

It is a combination of things for her. If I am back there, she will be ok for longer, but still ends up in a scream. She just doesn't like the car seat period. She is otherwise a happy baby and rarely cries when she is not in the car. Thanks so much for the input! We have birthday party to attend today that is 45 minutes away -- oy! :eek:

Kellyr2

Have you already tried a pacifier? That was the main time Mikayla, who was also a car screamer, got her paci. She had it sometimes out of the car, but always in the car. Xander likes it in the car too.. but then he's suddenly got addicted to it in general. But even from birth, he did better in the car with a paci. (and would actually spit it out anywhere other than the car)

LuvBug

does she take a paci? DS went through a phase around 3mo where he cried and that is when I looked for some tips from Elizabeth Pantly. Her carseat advice isnt very good, but some of her tips are worth a try. I tried playing the same exact CD for him, a soft soundtrack, and he grew to this 1 song(In the arms of angels, or whatever) and then I gave him a paci just for the car and we were able to make it through the phase(lasted a little over a month).

Simplysomething

Once she's got herself worked up into a frenzy, how long does it take her to calm down once she's out of the car? Morganthe's suggestion about seeing if the straps are hurting her belly is a good one. You can't do much about the straps, but at least you'd know why.

My oldest was a screamer. I think it turned out that the straps were too low or something, and I had them so tight he was arched? It's hard to explain, without sounding idiotic. IIRC, I moved them up a slot. His screaming did stop after that, but I'm not sure if it was because the straps being moved, or if he just outgrew it..or even if I did the right thing. Considering it was 6 years ago, and I know more now.

I do have to say, trying to figure out why a three month old baby is screaming and how to comfort her in the car is worlds away from pandering to every whim and mood of a 4 year old. I'm just saying.

BrookeSLP

She does like a paci, but once she is in full scream mode, she won't take it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, at least I know I am not alone. My DH asked
'do other people's babies do this?' :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC