Needs lots of tips to keep a RFer happy

ADS

Maedze

Wait?

Really. All my kids were miserable little sacks of shrieking protoplasm in the car at that age. Every road trip left my nerves shot into a million pieces. I just limited car time and quietly stuck pins in my love handles to distract myself.

It gets easier around 22 months, I think.

Mommy2Marcus

More upright install, soft mirror, special soft toys for the car, music, singing, talking about what he/she can see, & also limiting car time. Those are some things that helped Marcus in the car at that age. He was FF at 14 months & still had a hard time with the car. So I think alot of it is the age more than anything. So....I would just try to keep them occupied in the car.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
my dd is 15 months and thankfully hasn't hit the screaming in the car stage yet. i usually give her one or two soft toys. i also have a mirror :whistle: (sorry) and she looks in it and talks to it quite a bit.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
What worked great for my stubborn second child (who wanted to FF like big sis) was a spare infant seat with her baby strapped in next to her. She strapped in baby, mom strapped in child, and she was happy as a clam 'reading' her baby stories or singing. If it's a boy subsitutute a favorite stuffed animal or something.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Wait?

Really. All my kids were miserable little sacks of shrieking protoplasm in the car at that age. Every road trip left my nerves shot into a million pieces. I just limited car time and quietly stuck pins in my love handles to distract myself.

It gets easier around 22 months, I think.

So how do you decide which is riskier? A distracted driver or a FF child?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

Here's my thinking:

Ok, my kid is screaming constantly, so I turn him around FF so I am less distracted. But the problem is, I am 100% confident in my ability to drive defensively and avoid accidents. But, I am not confident in everyone else's abilities, especially in winter conditions.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How does this person know that FF would solve the unhappy baby issues?

My first was FF at 20 (or 22# can't remember which) because that's as high as seats RFed at the time. She was very unhappy in her car seat. It wasn't FF that was the problem, it was the car seat in general that was the problem. It wouldn't have mattered if I had her RF, sideways or upside down, she just went through a long stage of hating that thing.

TyAndCheyMommy

When I was having issues with my DS and getting him to calm down while RF I made up 4 different bags of soft toys- each one had different toys- so we could rotate what he was playing with.
When he got tired of the toys we would let me play with a blanket- he loved to hide!
The reason we finally had to turn him FF was because he figured out how to unbuckle himself and I couldn't see when he did it.
I have seen back seat cameras now- and if I would have had one of those he would have stayed RF longer!

Maedze

Well...in the Great Land of Oz, er, Sweden, they don't have a high rate of toddler and parent deaths due to a frantic parent plowing into a tree, so I'd say forward facing is still more dangerous, even if it's a more stressful driving situation.

I wish I could say, "oh, just do A and B!". But after three kids? I can't. My best advice was just to grit your teeth and get through it. I feel more honest saying that to parents, because I don't want them to get the idea that if they can't find the magic combination to get their kid quiet, their kid must be RULLY RULLY UNUSUAL and therefore should go forward facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC