Old School tests!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Eh, they probably ran the tests at the wrong speed and later refused to print a retraction. :rolleyes:

:p

Very, very cool! It's good to know that child restraints are not just meant to contain children so they don't distract the driver. :thumbsup:

tl01

Wow... fascinating how they determined if the seats were good or not. Love that Trimble. Holy cow... that seat totally just collapsed. I have a pic of myself in something like the GM Infant Seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, now that I've skimmed further, that really is very impressive given the time. I had no idea that Consumer Reports did reviews of car seats back then--or that Consumer Reports even existed back then.

I like how they rigged up their own instrument panel so they could determine if the head would hit it. I also love the recommendation to install in the center of the back seat, even though it might pose an inconvenience to parents over installing in the front.

How in the world did you find that? (I probably shouldn't ask...)

classicseats

Ok, now that I've skimmed further, that really is very impressive given the time. I had no idea that Consumer Reports did reviews of car seats back then--or that Consumer Reports even existed back then.

I like how they rigged up their own instrument panel so they could determine if the head would hit it. I also love the recommendation to install in the center of the back seat, even though it might pose an inconvenience to parents over installing in the front.

How in the world did you find that? (I probably shouldn't ask...)

Oh, I found more, Hun!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Sorry for the serial posting. I should probably finish reading the thing before I comment again.

But, OMG! The recommendation that adult seatbelts don't provide enough protection for kids, and that kids under 4/40 shouldn't wear lap belts and kids under 55" shouldn't wear a shoulder belt! (I mean, take the idea that a lap belt is safe for anyone out of the equation...) You'd think that after 35 years these concepts wouldn't be new to people.

I suddenly have a newfound respect for Consumer Reports. (Well, the Consumer Reports of 1972, at least.)

susanx4

the Gm infant carrier on page 3 is the same car seat i had as baby!! i pretty sure my mom got it when my 2nd brother was born. so 73...

oh wanted to add i think we had the tot guard too i remember a seat like it at least it would of been early 80's... and i know my brothers had those harness too but i don't think i had one...

Jennifer mom to my 7

I had to call my mother and ask:p They had a gm infant seat for me:love: BUT...umm, they couldn't get it installed good in the back of the thunderbird (I think 66 or 67, because the mustang was a 65? fastback:D) so they would wedge it in between the 2 front bucket seats:whistle: They used to take me into restaurants and stuff and people would look at them funny for having a seat at all:love: Oh, and there was also my brother they had to put in the car, and you really could only fit 4 people comfortably in it, and mom wanted to see me:whistle:

Oh, and she told me not to tell you all about the wedging part:whistle:

Last edited:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Very interesting article - thanks for sharing.

I find it very interesting - and disheartening - that some of the
information included in this article from 37 years ago is
information that we're still trying to get across to parents and
caregivers today. Sigh. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC