Should I Keep Or Return The Graco My Ride 65?

TyAndCheyMommy

I found a great deal on an Graco My Ride 65... so I bought it- thinking it would work to turn my DD back around.
She is almost 30lbs (I think about 27 on average)... she is 2 1/2 and has CP... She has been FF because we couldn't get her legs to fit in her Recaro Signo RF...
I bought the seat- but it is sitting here in the box making me kind of go back and forth about it.
We don't really NEED a new seat- except that I would love to turn her around again.
She is on the middle slot (3rd up 3rd down)... will she fit long enough to make it worth it?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If it helps any, I firmly believe that a special-needs, 27#, 2yo should absolutely without a doubt be rear-facing. If it takes a new seat to do that, then it does.

Maedze

If it helps any, I firmly believe that a special-needs, 27#, 2yo should absolutely without a doubt be rear-facing. If it takes a new seat to do that, then it does.

I agree. I wouldn't have any two year old in a forward facing seat if I had a choice, let alone one with special physical limitations.

romanoma

I agree. At her age, weight, and given her special needs, I would absolutely keep her RF if you have the means to purchase a seat to do so. If she were 5, probably not. At 2, yes, no doubt, I would keep it.

TyAndCheyMommy

Ok thanks! I was thinking the same thing- but just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.
I actually just was reading the manual and it says that if a child cannot sit up by them self then they HAVE to be rear facing- so she fits that!!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You aren't crazy, says the person that had a 44 lb 4 year old rear facing in the car a couple days ago.

armywife12

I think it's totally worth it to keep it, especially given the circumstances. Right before my son turned 2, we went out and got the MyRide because he hit the 33lb limit on his Marathon. At 27 months old, he is 35lbs and at least 38 inches and using the 3rd harness slot like your child. Caleb will most likely make it very close to 3 yrs old rear facing in it and he prefers it over forward facing in his Frontier. He also sleeps much better in the car rear facing. Even with my son being bigger than yours and without any conditions, I chose the MyRide and am so happy I did.

Shaunam

How much time do you think she has rf'ing per her legs? If it's a short time (like already starting to cram her feet against the back), I might not worry about it. But if you think you'll be able to fit her legs for 6 months or more, I'd do it. The MR also makes an excellent ff'ing seat for SN kids. Then again, so does the signo. ;)

Mommy2Marcus

I to agree with all the others. I bought the MR for my son over this past summer right before he turned 3. He is on the same slots as your DD with about 3 inches to grow before outgrowing it. He also has a TON of leg room in it. So I am more than sure he will make it to 4 years old RF in the My Ride. So I say to keep it & put her back RF. My son is SO much more comfortable to sleep RF for them than it is FF.

Shaunam

I to agree with all the others. I bought the MR for my son over this past summer right before he turned 3. He is on the same slots as your DD with about 3 inches to grow before outgrowing it. He also has a TON of leg room in it. So I am more than sure he will make it to 4 years old RF in the My Ride. So I say to keep it & put her back RF. My son is SO much more comfortable to sleep RF for them than it is FF.

Please keep in mind the OP's DD is different than other kids. If your son had spastic limbs, he would have had to ff long ago (based on your siggy pic). She has to worry about the usual height restrictions, plus getting her DD's legs to fit.

Maedze

Please keep in mind the OP's DD is different than other kids. If your son had spastic limbs, he would have had to ff long ago (based on your siggy pic). She has to worry about the usual height restrictions, plus getting her DD's legs to fit.

Would the Radian be a better fit for a child with spastic limbs?

Shaunam

Would the Radian be a better fit for a child with spastic limbs?

The radian also has lots of leg room, but it's simply a matter of how long they have before their legs are crammed against the back. Lots of CP kids can't just bend their knees, or flip them over the side, or even prop them up on the back. Getting them to a sitting position is hard, getting their legs higher than that is near impossible. If you go to DD's blog and then to her friend Kylee's blog, you can look at pics of her and see what typical spasticity looks like. Her legs not only stick straight out a lot of the time, but her feet are very pointed, and she crosses her legs at her ankles or keeps them together. They don't "frog out" like other kids. She fluctuates though so a lot of the pics won't look that bad. But high-tone tends to kick in when kids get excited, like when they are going for a ride in the car. :rolleyes: And other kids are simply high tone ALL the time, like my friend's baby (Ava in DD's friend's list). You literally have to wrestle the kid into a sitting position and she NEVER relaxes. You have to strap her to chairs or she flips herself out of them.

And then there's the issue of the radian not being very supportive for kids with poor head and torso control.

Kat_Momof3

if she fits the seat well enough, I think it's definitely worth it... but I'd keep the Signo for ff use because the MR is SOO reclined ff... the signo is so plush and supportive, yet also more upright, that I think it's better for ff use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC