We might get a dog....

Michi

It's still 'up in the air' but we are thinking of rescuing a little Bichon Frise.
The problem is...it's all the way on the other side of the state. (It will be a 6 hr. round trip, and the dog isn't crate trained!)
How do I transport it in the car?
Ugh - maybe I should re-think this!???

ADS

mamato2

Get a little travel crate (some come with a 'flap' to run the seat belt though) and belt it securely into the car. I'd put something like shelf liner in the crate and then a towel or something on top so the dog doesn't slide around (that's scary!)
Give it a lovey toy and stop every one - two hours and let it walk around and sniff and pee.
We traveled from VA to PA with a 3 month old puppy (he died last April at 12.5 years!) who it turned out did NOT like car rides (but he went from VA to Pa-and back and VA to FLA-and back and then VA to WA state and then WA to OR and then OR to TX!!!) but did ok actually.
That first trip we made a lot of false stops when he whimpered or whined 'cause we were afraid he had to go but their instincts DO tell them not to go in such a small space, and he had not an accident any of those trips. He was barely a year old when we drove cross country from VA to WA too!
Good Luck,
C.
ps perhaps the current 'owners' could introduce him to a crate before you get him, maybe even sell the one they use with him to you to take back. It might make him more comfortable.

Michi

Well, if we go we'll be going tomorrow (not much notice) and so we'll just have to take a crate with us.
Would a Bichon puppy fit in a cat crate?
I know an adult dog wouldn't, but a puppy????

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have no idea. How big is a Bichon? I am a "big dog" kind of person, so I only know (a little) about the large breeds. Is a Bichon a small dog?

gwenvet

Yes, a Bichon puppy will fit in a cat crate. How did a puppy wind up in a rescue organization? Well anyway, good luck and don't forget to take it the vet soon! ;)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yes, a Bichon puppy will fit in a cat crate. How did a puppy wind up in a rescue organization? Well anyway, good luck and don't forget to take it the vet soon! ;)

My mom's dog was rescued as a puppy too. He was born in a shelter, adopted by a family who thought they could handle a Lab puppy and a newborn baby at the same time (ooookaaaay!), brought back to the shelter, and then adopted again by my mom. That's how that puppy wound up in a rescue organization! :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've read that crates aren't the safest -- IMMI (makers of carseat harnesses & LATCH) makes a dog harness to buckle into the seatbelt ... not sure of the sizes? I'm brainfarting on it's name, but if you Google or search through all my posts you'll find it sooner or later :confused: I'll update if I find the link, but hopefully I'm not the only one looking :cool:

mamato2

Thing is with a puppy you might have an 'accident' on the seat or it might be constantly trying to climb into your lap. A puppy is going to feel comfortable in a crate I think. Less stimulation, more likely for it to fall asleep too. Those are pretty darn small dogs and I don't think you can get a harness small enough. I had a hard time getting one to fit well on a toy terrier (10 lbs). For a short ride , to get dd from school, he rides with harness tied to seat belt. For anything longer he's in a crate that is belted and isn't going anywhere if I stop suddenly. I think in an accident being contained is not perfect but safer than other options.
C.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC