Unapproved Center Latch Use

ilovum

What exactly is unapproved center latch use? We just got a 2006 Durango and I have my son's Radian in the center. There are latches on both sides of the center. Is it okay to latch the seat there in the center?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, unless your Durango manual actually has a picture of a carseat installed in the center using LATCH (or a description of it, anyway).
It's not safe to use a center latch position unless the car manual AND the seat manual say it's ok.

Splash

There is another post on this that we just had today. But the answer is no in a Dodge, you can't use the two outboard anchors to form one center anchor.

ilovum

No, unless your Durango manual actually has a picture of a carseat installed in the center using LATCH (or a description of it, anyway).
It's not safe to use a center latch position unless the car manual AND the seat manual say it's ok.

So, if our seat is in the center, we have to use the center shoulder strap? Or should I move the seat to either side?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd try the center seatbelt, yeah. If it's a good tight installation (less than one inch of movement where the seatbelt goes through it), then that's great. If you can't get it to stay tightly installed with the belt in the center, then go ahead and use the LATCH in the window seat :)

ilovum

I'd try the center seatbelt, yeah. If it's a good tight installation (less than one inch of movement where the seatbelt goes through it), then that's great. If you can't get it to stay tightly installed with the belt in the center, then go ahead and use the LATCH in the window seat :)

Thanks. So the best place for his seat is in the center?

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
The center generally is considered the safest, as long as you get a good installation. A well installed seat outboard is safer than a poorly installed seat in the center.

All seats in the back seat are very safe though (and thost of us with more than one kid have to put at least one child outboard).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The best place to install the carseat is any backseat location that allows you to get the carseat secure enough that it does not move more than 1" AND you're following both carseat + vehicle manuals....

If the vehicle manual does not specifically show or state that you can use LATCH in the center then you cannot -- it hasn't been tested & could fail to protect your child in a crash (in other words, your child would be a real life crash test dumby)

skaterbabs

In many cars with LATCH in the outboard positions, the anchors look like this:

[_____] (center seat) [_____]

So you would have the seat attached to one anchor from each set of two, and the anchors won't hold under crash forces.

If the vehicle allows center LATCH but only has 4 anchors total (meaning you can use it in the center OR on both sides, but not the center and one side or the other) it probably looks like this:

[____]___[____]

Meaning the support bar underneith goes all the way across.

In cars with LATCH in all three positions, the anchors look like this (usually, but not always):

[____] [____] [____]

Does that help? I have an illustration of it somewhere, but can't locate it at the moment.....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC