Has any turned back to RF after going FF?

jayamy

Has any turned back to RF after going FF? Update!

My ds is only 24lbs, and after reading different thread I feel like I should turn hin back around. He 2 1/2 , 32in amd 24lbd...We have the Boulevard.

Is it possible, or will he just flip out?

Update: I turned ds around today and you were all right - he loves it! Guess who is giving me a hard time about it? My dd who is 6 - she wants me to turn her around - she could if the MA I have went to a higher weight limit - she weighs 35lbs and my MA only goes to 33:(

Last edited:
ADS

Jessie78

Hi Jayamy,

Definitely give it a go. RF at his weight would be SO beneficial, you'd get lots of RF use from such a good seat.

I think it depends on your reaction to his reaction, KWIM?

Both my older kids have been changed between RF and FF so many times I can't remember.

I FF'd Xander at 10m because I didn't know any better, RF'd him back at 16m, then FF at 3 when he outgrew by height. RFd again at 3.3, then FFd at 4 I think? Then RFd *again* for a couple of months but is now permanently FF at almost 5.

Em has been switched RF and FF so many times I can't remember, depends on whose car she's in. But 99% RF now.

Honestly, they don't care a jot which way they face, I don't make an issue of it so they don't think there's anything to fuss about. :)

emandbri

You never know until you try. I turned my third because he was 33 lbs but then turned him back when he lost weight and he didn't care.

My niece had been forward facing for quite a while and the seat in my mom's car was rear-facing and she put her in it and she didn't care.

Good Luck!

romanoma

Most kids really like RFing. Their legs don't dangle, they can sit cross legged, and they can see things "longer" out the window as they go past.

I turned my DS FF at 12 mo b/c I didn't know any better. Then after I had DD I found this site, when DS was 2.5. I really didn't intend on turning him back RF b/c I didn't think he would go for it, he is a very picky kid with some sensory issues and he is very very resistant to change. I ended up buying a seat for travel, but it had a higher RF weight limit and it would allow him to RF again. I tried it one day just to see, more out of curiosity to see if he would fit than anything. he LOVED it!!!! Chatterbox the whole time about all the things he could see out the window. He is tall with long legs, but he just sits with them crossed and does great. He is still RF and has been for the last 7 mo now. He is 35lbs and 40inches tall.

Good luck, and I agree, a lot of it depends on how you react to it too!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Absolutely. My dd1 went RF at 16 months, and then almost 2 years later when the Marathon came out, she went RF again. And rode that way till age 4.5, but only in my van (she happily went from FF in dad's car to RF in my van, kids accept something if you seem happy and clear that 'this is the way it is. period', in any daily routine :)
Here's a picture of her... http://cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx
DD2 just stayed RF till she was 20ish months in dh's car, and over 3 in my van.
:thumbsup:

twinsmom

Yes, I turned my kids back RF when they were 3. No complaints - they really like it. I guess it depends on the kid. I would definitely give it a try with the age and size of your child.:thumbsup:

AtTheSouthDam

DD2 went forward facing at 18 months and 22lbs. She went back to RF right before she turned two years old. At nearing 3 1/2 she still prefers RF. DD1 wanted to go back to RF at 4 years (but at 48 lbs was too heavy for any US seat, even now :))

Maedze

Yes, I turned my 3.5 year old back rear facing when she had been forward facing for over a year. She's very happy.

canmom

My son went ffing at about 16-18 months (thought he had outgrown the seat by the 32 inch limit we have on Canadian seats). I then turned him back rfing just after he turned 2 and he is still riding that way at a little over 3 (it is about a year ago to the day that I turned him back rfing). He has never complained about it.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ ff at 11 mos (obviously I wasn't a tech then, lol) and then I rf him again at 27 mos. He stayed that way till 34 mos when he got too big. Evan rf most of the time till he turned 4 and hit 35#. He now has a 40# rfing seat and just asked 2 wks ago to go back rfing so I turned him around again. He'll be 5 on the 7th. :)

thepote

My DS2 was FF from 18m until I turned him back RF at 2y4m. He was fine with it, and RF'd until 3.5.

Go for it :thumbsup: because not only will he be safer, you are setting a great example for the people that see him RF :cool:

celtic1885

My DS2 was FF from 18m until I turned him back RF at 2y4m. He was fine with it, and RF'd until 3.5.

Go for it :thumbsup: because not only will he be safer, you are setting a great example for the people that see him RF :cool:[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: I agree with this completely. Having my two at 31/40# RF will make it more believable that they can be comfortable.

Turned my dd3 FF at 20m for a trip and didn't turn her back. Two weekends ago turned her RF again at 2y 4m and she is loving it. Everyday she says "I backwards, I love it" -seriously. I thought I'd have to fight her, nope. Now dd2 is asking to RF and am looking into buying a 45# seat so I can turn her. She's been FF since 13/14m (before I found this board ;) ) and will turn 4 in January.

Last edited:

smartbuyer

I haven't done it yet, but as soon as I get my new Radian I will RF my 34 pound 3ys 7month son. My 16 month DD is RF in a MA. People aske me why I haven't turned my DD around and I simply state it is safer and then I tell them I'm going to RF my 3 yr old. They think I'm nutty.

miraclebabies

My goal was two years and when that got here for DD1 I turned her for a week and he complained the whole time. She said her legs and back hurt and then I turned her back rear facing. She is still rear facing at just shy of three years and never asks to turn around. In getting nervous tho cause she is 30# and I hope sh makes it awhile longer. My DD2 is a preemie and even at just a year she is #20 and 29in long. I couldn't imagine turning her around now, she will be rear facing till the #35 limit of my Marathons. My older DD sleeps ao much better in the car too and she doesn't have such a horrible head slump like she did FF.

jayamy

Yay, I am going to try it...He was just so upset because his sister was FF, but, I am going to say now you can see your sister better, etc. Thanks for all your advice!

cryswilkins

I am with the others, my DD switched back and forth (depending on the vehicle) up until she recently hit the limit on her seats with no problem. She never ever complained.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
G was turned back around at 20 months. Since about 2.5 he's been sitting RF in my vehicle and FF in daddy's (he's only in there a few times a month). He's never complained.

babygirlsmom1005

My daughter was turned FF'ing a little before she was 3 years old. This summer, she went back RF'ing until she hit 35 lbs (at 3.5 years old) and stayed FF'ing for a couple of month. After her bugging the snot out of me to RF again, we just purchased a Radian XT and she is now RF'ing at 4 years old.

I find she prefers RF'ing to FF'ing, so if she likes it and it is safeR, I don't have a problem with it, and at 4 years old, she can totally express her opinon on the matter quite well.

babygirlsmom1005

Yay, I am going to try it...He was just so upset because his sister was FF, but, I am going to say now you can see your sister better, etc. Thanks for all your advice!

On a trip, my DD was RF'ing and my neice was FF'ing sitting right next to eachother, they loved it because they could sit, talk, play games and look at eachother the whole way down there.

myliljunebugs

Good for you for giving it a try! :) DD loves RF'ing because (like others have stated) she can see her brother better. Plus, she says she sees outside better and it is more comfortable! :D Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC