Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help me decide!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

help me decide!

My daughter and I were rear ended about 2 weeks ago. My car is totaled, so we obviously need a new seat. I had a true fit before, and I really liked it. But now that we get to get a new seat, I'm wondering what I should get. I'm looking at another true fit, the radian 80 (or XT) or a britax boulevard or advocate. We have a scenera that had been in my husband's car that we're using now.
    I just bought an 07 Prius, and my dd is 29" and 19 lbs at 15 months...

help?!

also, on another topic...does anyone have any tricks for avoiding the seat-tilt phenomenon when doing a center seat belt install? Every time I install the scenera in my husband's Jetta, it tilts some from the force of the shoulder belt. I'd prefer her to stay in the center, but I can't get a tight and flat install.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: help me decide!

A little bit of tilt is still safe, but you don't want her tipping so far that the base is up off the seat. The Scenera is lightweight so it tends to get lifted by the seatbelt retractor. Try focusing more pressure on the opposite side of the tilting, when you push down on the carseat during install. If the tipping gets worse over time, you'll probably need to use a locking clip to stop the shoulder belt from pulling. Here's a page about locking clips.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: help me decide!

I'd look at the True Fit/True Fit Premier, Radian XTSL, or the Safety 1st Complete Air. Those are my top three. They have high rear facing weight limits (35-45 pounds), nice forward facing limits (50-80 pounds), and 17.5" top slots. Your daughter is light enough that you won't have to worry about weight limits, probably.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785