Question Which FF car seat for tall, thin 3 yr old? frontier, nautilus, or regent?

J

jennykd

I can't decide which car seat to buy for my (in 1 month) 3 yr old for a second car. She currently has a britax decathalon ff since she was 2.5, since she complained constantly that she couldn't move her legs. I think its because the middle seat in our car bumps out in the back giving her less space than normal.

Anyway, the new car seat if for our second vehicle, and also be ff. She is tall 39" and somewhat thin, almost 30 lbs. She has been in the 95% for height all along and so I'm looking for something that she can stay in a harness for a long time. Do you think she is too small for the Regent? Would she just be swimming in it? Also, how good is the side impact protection, as this may go in an end seat? We checked out the Nautilus in person and I thought the straps seemed easy to twist. Also, I'm used to the Britax latches and really like them so I'm not sure I want to switch, but I'm sure my dd would like the cup holder. The Frontier seems like a good choice too. Anyone have these car seats and have any recommendations? Is there a place that gives you the actual crash test rating so you can compare? Thanks!

ADS

firemomof3

For your daughter I would look at the Nautilus. Yes, she would be swimming in the Regent & the Frontier. I also have a 3y/o daughter who is 30lbs. and she is currently rf in a Radian XT but I also have a Frontier & Nautilus and she fits much better in the Nautilus.

Mommy0608

I have a very similarly sized child, and we have a Frontier. Typically for tall, skinny kiddos I'd recommend the Nautilus. I tried it for my DD and for some reason she complained and didn't like it at all. I also tried the Frontier, and she loves it. :shrug-shoulders: I have no idea what the difference is to her. Oh, but she was definitely swimming in the Regent.

I'd take her to Babies R Us or some other store that sells both the Frontier and Nautilus and try them out with her and in your vehicle if possible (BRU lets you try their floor models in your vehicle). This will give you a better idea of which one would be best for your child and vehicle. What's perfect for one family may not be best for another. :twocents:

Mom2FiveGirls

I'd take her and try them out too. 2 of my DDs have a nautilus and they both love them. They say they are super comfy and love the cup holder and the little storage space in the armrests. However, a friend of mine has a daughter around the same age and she hated the nautilus. She said it didn't feel good. I think it just depends on the child.

I haven't had any problem with the straps twisting, btw.

bubbaray

I have a nearly 3yo in a FR and I don't think she's swimming in it at all. It fits her really well.

Depending on how much you use the 2nd vehicle, the GN might be a better choice financially. For a primary use seat, I much prefer the FR.

Kaede's_Mom

I have a very similarly sized child, and we have a Frontier. Typically for tall, skinny kiddos I'd recommend the Nautilus. I tried it for my DD and for some reason she complained and didn't like it at all. I also tried the Frontier, and she loves it. :shrug-shoulders: I have no idea what the difference is to her. Oh, but she was definitely swimming in the Regent.

I'd take her to Babies R Us or some other store that sells both the Frontier and Nautilus and try them out with her and in your vehicle if possible (BRU lets you try their floor models in your vehicle). This will give you a better idea of which one would be best for your child and vehicle. What's perfect for one family may not be best for another. :twocents:

My DD also prefers the Frontier over the Natulis. Her legs always fell asleep hanging off the GN (but then again all her hight is torso lol). I do agree with another PP that if it is for a second car then the GN may be a better buy for you. I would try them both out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC