Rebound? RF tethering?

judesmommy

Can someone explain the logistics of rebound to me? Is rebound really a BAD thing? It seems to me that the seat moving forward with a baby (RF) would minimize the effects of a neck jerk... but, I'm not a tech. Also, is it better when installing a RF tether to tighten it as much as possible? Rock solid? Or should there be some slack? Can you over tighten and mess up the carseat?

ADS

horseymom

good question. I'm also wondering about rear tethers now that my son is 30/31 lbs. Is it safer to have a rear tether with an older heavier child?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Rebound is not inherently good. It's just what happens. Controlling it is not a bad thing, IMO, because it can lessen head injuries from slamming into the back of the seat. There are other ways to achieve it than with a RF tether (anti-rebound bar; seat handle left up on bucket seat that allows it.) I personally feel it's a good idea. With this particular type of rebound control, the RF tether, yes, it adds a bit of strain to the neck. Some people feel this is too much for a newborn. I tethered my newborn from birth without hesitation but some won't for that reason. Some opt to leave a seat untethered, or to get one with an anti-rebound bar or an infant seat and leave the handle up, instead. Most people have no qualms about doing it with an older, stronger child.

Britax says to just remove slack, not change the angle of the install. They had problems with recline mechanisms being broken by overtightening.

Sunshine Kids, the only other brand that allows RF tethering, allows you to change the angle-- there's not a recline mechanism to break on that seat. You definitely can overrecline in some cars if you tighten enough to pull it back too far.

Personally, I think rebound control is a Very Good Thing. But the decision on whether to tether or not is up to you, the parent. If you feel otherwise, by all means, don't tether. It's not required.

Raegansmom4

So how serious are the head injuries that can occur from the rebound? Any stats? They can't be too horrible - for the most part aren't they impacting the padded seat? I can see with crew cab pickups they are so close to the back window, but I'm worried the TC videos are scaring parents into thinking the only safe rfing seats are those that can rf tether or have an ARB. Maybe they are safer, but I'm not "afraid" of my MR b/c it can't rf tether. I don't want parents to feel bad/guilty b/c they can't drop the money on a Radian, Britax, or TFP, kwim?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm one of those who isn't thrilled with the idea of RF tethering for a young infant. I had a Boulevard for my infant for a while and didn't tether it. When am I comfortable with it? Eh, probably 6-9 months. I don't know. There's not really a lot of information on it--it's more of a gut feeling with me.

I agree with everything else ketchupqueen said, though.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
While rebound is not inherently good, neither is it bad or dangerous. Any RF seat, tethered or not, ARB or not, is extremely safe.

Personally, I'd rather have ARB over a RF tether, and I am totally fine with my kids in untethered seats. I do tether my MA's, but I am also completely comfortable with my kids in their TrueFit and EFTA.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't worry about rebounding. Like you said, it's maybe not the best, but they're hitting a padded seat that's designed for a 300 pound man to rebound into. And the shell of the seat will rebound with them, so it's usually just their nose that may be sticking out. I haven't heard of injuries from rebounding into the backseat.

I'm also not a huge fan of rear facing tethering for a newborn, but it wouldn't bother me a whole lot. The only time I would go out of my way to advocate a seat with an ARB or a rear facing tether would be a truck with glass behind the backseat. I wouldn't want an older child slamming into the glass. If there's a tall seatback or space behind the backseat then I wouldn't worry.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC