Any websites with statistics?

Mom2FiveGirls

Are there any websites that show statistics relating to ERF being safer, harnessing to 4 and beyond being safer, using a booster after 8/80 lbs (the limit of the law here) being safer, etc? How about anything comparing the statistics in Sweden (or anywhere they ERF) compared to the US? Thanks SO much! :)

ADS

Evolily

There is hard data for both boostering and rear facing being safer (although I unfortunately have no links on hand, I'm sure someone will come and give you some :) ).

There is very little or no data suggesting forward facing harnessing passed 4 and 40 is safer, as it is a relatively new development for people to harness longer. No one really knows if a properly used harness for a child is better or worse than a properly used booster, although there are convincing arguments on both sides.

What we do know is that most kids are not mature enough to properly use a booster until sometime between 5 and 7 years old, and that the various misuses that occur with these children (shoulder belt behind back, shoulder belt under arm, leaning out of position, etc) can lead to serious injuries in a crash.

Good luck finding links! I will look later, and if I can find anything I'll post it :)

Mom2FiveGirls

Thanks! I've found a few sites with statistics, but I'd love more. I'm writing a paper for my English class (argument based research) and my topic is car seat safety and whether the laws should be more strict (of course my side is that yes, they should...requiring rear facing to age 2, etc). The more statistics, the stronger my paper is :) And not only do I want to do well on the paper and presentation, but there are several parents in the class with small children and several that will be having children in the next few years. If they learn something about car seat safety, that would be great too! :) I know I was pretty darn clueless until I started researching for this paper. This is by far the most expensive class I've ever taken though...5 new car seats later...lol. It is well worth it though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC