Question Cars with built in car seats

drlynne

Can someone tell me all the cars that have built in seats? I know the dodge caravan does but who else does it? Are they safer or not?

ADS

Evolily

My understanding is that built in car seats are safe (not safer- but safe) if the child fits properly and is the proper size/developmental level for them. My understanding is that they don't expire, but the belt would need replaced if you were in an accident (just like lap/shoulder belts).

Pixels

They may be safer for the average parent because it's literally impossible to mess up the installation. One less point to make mistakes.

They provide less side impact protection because there is no side shell.

They often have short top slots, high bottom slots (sometimes only one harness height, not even adjustable), and often 40 pound weight limits.

With a built-in, if you needed to get into another vehicle unexpectedly (breakdown, accident), you would have no child restraint.

luvmyboyz

My understanding is that they don't expire, but the belt would need replaced if you were in an accident (just like lap/shoulder belts).

Really? I've never had my seat belts replaced after an accident - well, except the car that was 'totally' replaced. Neither the dealership or the insurance adjusters ever suggested it. :confused:

Pixels

Vehicle seat belts don't necessarily need replacing after an accident, but they should be inspected carefully for signs of damage, wear, stretching, that sort of thing.

TyAndCheyMommy

I know a lot of BMWs have the built in car seats. My aunts BMW Suv crossover thing has 4 of them. It is kind of cool because we have been able to use them instead of moving car seats into her vehicle!
I don't think I would be comfortable using them as my full time seats- but for occasions is it fine. I would actually like them in my husbands car- because then we wouldn't have to have to move car seats when people ride with him.

Katy

I had a 1997 Chevy Venture with one built in carseat. It had fixed harness hight that made me really uncomfortable with putting a short child in it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My 01 Chevy Venture has a built in seat. It came in very handy when DD1 was sick all over her Radian; otherwise I have only used it for DD's dolls ;)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have them in our just died 1997 voyager minivan. It has a bench for the 2nd row and has 2 built-ins. They have a fixed slot, they go to 50#. All 4 of our kids have used them. The van was my parents until about a year ago when we got it. The fixed height didn't bother me, because our kids have long torsos and rf until 2y when they were 33-35# and to tall for our seats. The van was my hubbys car, so kids were only in it about 1x a week. They have other seats in our main van.

U

Unregistered

Can someone tell me all the cars that have built in seats? I know the dodge caravan does but who else does it? Are they safer or not?

I had a dodge caravan with built-in car seats and LOVED them so much! No more schlepping big clunky car seats and a simply flip of a cushion and it was an adult seat. I felt that it was safer in the aspect that there was no worrying about leveling and the car seat shifting around because the whole seat was bolted to the frame of the vehicle = no wiggle room there. The harness system was very similar to a car seat. I too have looked for this feature in other cars but apparently only Dodge and Volvo have offered integrated car seats unfortunately. I think SUV models should also have them but that's my 2 cents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC