So had bad is a rear-adjust snugride?

Melodiya99

One of our neighbors is pregnant, and a few friends and I wanted to get her something...when I found the snugride travel system on clearance at target, I thought it'd be perfect, but will it? I had a compass seat, so I don't really know: is it a huge pain to tighten the straps on a rear-adjuster? The mom in in high school and I'm not sure she's very safety aware, but I do spend time with her and could show her how to use it, and I think she'd listen to me...I just don't want it to be something that she thinks is a huge pain and wouldn't bother with, kwim? I've never used one, so please tell me your experience:eek:

ADS

2BunniesMommy

They are pretty hard to tighten and hard to get baby in and out of when tightened properly. My niece had one for her baby and I was always tightening it then next time I would see them it would be all loose again.

If you can teach her how to tighten it and get through to her how important it is, it should be fine. If not, I don't think it would be a good seat for her baby.

Of course, used properly it is a safe seat, the question is if it would be used properly....possible, but unsure how likely.

Maedze

I would avoid a rear-adjust child restraint for anyone but the most dedicated/aware child passenger safety advocate. It won't be tightened properly.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I would avoid a rear-adjust child restraint for anyone but the most dedicated/aware child passenger safety advocate.

Yep, I agree :thumbsup:
The rear-adjust definitely can serve a purpose (ie. an infant with scoliosis or skeletal malformations), but other than that, I don't recommend them!

Pixels

I have never used a rear-adjust seat with an actual child, but after playing with one in a store one day, my number one rule for getting an infant seat (after height/weight) is it HAS to be front adjust. I do not trust myself to use a rear-adjust properly. I had the seat upside down in the store and had a hard time adjusting it. No way, no how, would it be used properly except by the most patient, most dedicated child passenger safety advocate.

Yep, I agree :thumbsup:
The rear-adjust definitely can serve a purpose (ie. an infant with scoliosis or skeletal malformations), but other than that, I don't recommend them!

Because the two sides can be adjusted independently? Wouldn't the same purpose be served by a seat with a continuous harness?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
IMO, a good carseat is more important than a travel system. If price is an issue, get a good infant seat or even a good convertible and worry about the stroller later.

tl01

I would avoid a rear-adjust child restraint for anyone but the most dedicated/aware child passenger safety advocate. It won't be tightened properly.

I agree. It just seems to be too easy for people to skip the tightening part when it is a rear-adjust.

Kat_Momof3

I had a rear-adjust snugride... used it with all 3 kids... it is a bit of a pain, but you get used to it... IF (big big IF) you are very safety-conscious and will make sure it's always properly tightened.

Honestly, I also think it was easier with the old 3-point model I had (back when that was all there was)... because it was all one long strap... I wish they did the 5-point that way... it would at least be a LITTLE easier...

AKA... I would do what I did for my niece when she had her first... not worry about a stroller... get a front-adjust seat.

she can always get an inexpensive separate stroller that may not MATCH, but will work fine.

TyAndCheyMommy

We had the rear adjust snugride for both my kids- I found it super easy to adjust because I could reach it when the seat was installed.
I found that if you kind of "rock" the strap back and forth it adjusts really easily. Though a lot of the newer rear adjust are a push button that you just hold the button and pull.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I know most people don't like them, but I used a rear-adjust snugride with N and didn't find it that difficult. Yes, it took about 10 seconds longer to adjust and make sure it was tightened properly, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I had nothing to compare it to as that was my first introduction to an infant seat. I don't see them as a big deal, but I bet the general public wouldn't be so dilligent at making sure the straps are properly tightened everytime. The front adjust is much easier.

Mom2three

I lent my KF to my SIL for a few days and used our neighbor's rear adjust snugride and HATED it. I put DS in his coccoro after just 2 days of the snugride even though it's freezing cold and I would rather have him in a bucket with a cover.

I'm so glad I have my KF back now.

cookie123

I think they're a pain. If you don't adjust each time, it's about impossible to squeeze a tiny arm into the thing. If you do loosen to put baby in, you practically have to hold the it upside down with baby in to get it tightened. I guess at home you'd have a table or counter to use while doing that. At work, it's the floor. And it's awful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC