Ugh! Long torsoes! (vent)

DahliaRW

Both my boys have super long torsoes. Ds1 outgrew the old evenflo triump rfing before a year, and the scenera completely by 2 1/2. I put ds2 in the scenera on the in-laws car on Thursday and he had slightly less than 1/2" left in the harness height (he's already too tall to rf in it). He's 2 years 3 months. Ugh! I was hoping he'd fit in it in April for traveling, and he still might if I'm lucky, but total bummer if not! FWIW, I sat ds2 in ds1's booster to see how it fit him last spring (turbo) and at the lowest setting the belt actually fit him properly. Now he's WAY too young for a booster (he's still rfing in my car), but that's how tall his torso is!

I wish there were better/cheaper options for backup/lightweight/narrow travel seats for kids with long torsoes!

ETA - at least there is a seat to keep ds2 rfing, for that I am thankful! Just two years ago, he'd have to go ffing completely.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Waaaay lighter. I travelled with my CA just last week-- used a Travelling Toddler but it wasn't bad to lift around and such. And it fit RF on a plane. :thumbsup:

If you're ok FFing him for travel/backup (my older 2 are RF in my car but FF in grandma's, etc.), the former Safeguard Go (now Safety 1st Go Hybrid booster) has pretty tall top setting, goes to 60 lbs., and is pretty light/compact. The Ride Safer Travel Vest is lightweight, easy to carry, small, and lasts a good long time. It won't be an option until he's over 35 but if you can hold off for another few lbs. it is a good one. Either one can be used in conjunction with a CARES if you're going on a plane, once he's big enough for the lap belt to tighten properly.

DahliaRW

I'm not worried about the weight of the CA for traveling, but more worried about getting it 3 across in the rental. I will be bringing a SS1 and a turbobooster as well. Though we have considered getting the RSTV for my oldest, who has no issues sitting in the lap belt on the plane. So that may be the route we go. I also could bring baby girl's radian, but I'd much rather lug the SS1 through the airport.

Kat_Momof3

I agree with both... getting a rstv for the oldest and using that ss1 for the baby... it'll just be easier because you can opt to use the base or not depending on which works better on the plane and in the rental car... and you won't have to worry about where to put the baby when you're installing the base... you can set the infant carrier in the stroller (compatible or not, it could rest there for a bit) or on the passenger seat for those few minutes while you install it.

the rstv would be super simple to pack, give you one less seat to lug around, and also ensure you would be fine in about any size car... because it takes up so little room.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. Baseless SS1, CA, and RSTV would fit even in my mom's Sentra, and that's saying something. ;)

DahliaRW

Yeah, I think that's the way to go too. Just don't want to spend the $$ ;) But definitely happy to keep ds2 rfing on the trip, we do a lot of driving.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC